Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Gatwick-2

Old 19th Apr 2020, 13:10
  #761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 541
I can’t see Virgin or BA long haul staying at LGW, they’ll retrench to LHR in survival mode. Not even sure there’s any short term case for BA CityFlyer at LCY.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 10:35
  #762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 62
LGW post COVID-19

Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post
I can’t see Virgin or BA long haul staying at LGW, they’ll retrench to LHR in survival mode. Not even sure there’s any short term case for BA CityFlyer at LCY.
With the ongoing corona pandemic, and the uncertainty surrounding the current aviation climate, one does wonder who in terms of long haul will remain at LGW when things begin to pick up again. Indeed, it would be such a shame to see the permanent loss/withdrawal of CX and CI among others- they, along with the A350 have helped to add some diversity across LGW, and from a passenger stand point, being able to fly from LGW-HKG direct is a huge bonus for myself amongst many others over LHR and the 77W. I'm keeping everything crossed that airlines and LGW will be able to get through this and that there will be light at the end of the tunnel in due course. Will be very nice to see BA, CX and others back when the storm passes...

What are people's thoughts about which airlines will return to LGW post COVID-19? BA will no doubt return, given their huge investment in the LGW South check in and lounges, as will VS for similar reasons, perhaps with reduced frequencies, but what about airlines that maintain 1 daily services or less? (CX and CI come to mind here).
JW95 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 11:53
  #763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ballymena
Posts: 1,229
I think airlines, like most businesses, will be taking a much more long-term view. This is a disruption, but it will pass, like most have. Capitalism is brutal as it renews.
True Blue is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 13:13
  #764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NEW FOREST
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
With all due respect old chap 99.999% of the UK pop'n cannot fly now, nor in the foreseeable....FCO advise against all non-essential travel abroad - No one is going on Hols nor going away on VFR nor on business trips....Half the World will not let Brits in anyway without a big fuss.

Flying airplanes has almost stopped dead in its tracks let alone low levels.

Gatwick is a ghost town. the only major flying is Cargo jets right now.
With all due respect old chap you seem to be viewing a very local clouded picture only. Everyday (including today) in UK airspace there are approx 800 commercial flights taking place operating to all points of the globe. This is a figure that has held steady for the past few weeks. Destinations remain the same pre corona, just the frequency has dropped (China/Uk is the exception where there are now dozens of extra flights weekly). Approx 25,000 pax of dozens of different nationalities are routing through various UK airports daily, some for repatriation to/from UK, some connecting only, some key workers, some with medical appointments + others.
LGW is one of the quieter airports due it's predominant operators ceasing flying, but there are other regional airports still open handling more flights including the exec airports.
QWERTY9 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 13:32
  #765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 104
Why is. a Jezzera Airways holding off LGW at the moment ; is it waiting for the runway to open?
bmaviscount is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 14:02
  #766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by QWERTY9 View Post
Think what you will. I see no need to furnish you with a comprehensive answer since you show such uncouthness and probably wouldn't even be able to comprehend it.
Far from it in fact surely you do querty.

An open forum and figures quoted should be justifiable and at least evidence based and its certainly not rude to ask for the references - We can then check for ourselves
Rutan16 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 14:11
  #767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Gatwick
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by bmaviscount View Post
Why is. a Jezzera Airways holding off LGW at the moment ; is it waiting for the runway to open?

Was below his limits on Runway 26R ad had to wait until 26L could be opened and an ILS approach made .opened just in time to save him diverting to MAN
Charley B is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 15:14
  #768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by QWERTY9 View Post
Think what you will. I see no need to furnish you with a comprehensive answer since you show such uncouthness and probably wouldn't even be able to comprehend it.
I see “no need to furnish you with a comprehensive answer” and read it as “I can’t because “bollocks” was indeed a fair assessment”
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 15:24
  #769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 319
Please if you want to be considered seriously,then refrain from the gutter language i.e. Bollocks and consider your reply appropriately.
RW20 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 16:34
  #770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 11,871
Originally Posted by QWERTY9 View Post
Everyday (including today) in UK airspace there are approx 800 commercial flights taking place operating to all points of the globe.
Assuming that you mean flights originating in the UK, Heathrow has recently been accounting for around 90 per day.

Out of interest, where in the UK do you believe the other 700-odd departures are originating from ?
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 16:43
  #771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 40
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
Assuming that you mean flights originating in the UK, Heathrow has recently been accounting for around 90 per day.

Out of interest, where in the UK do you believe the other 700-odd departures are originating from ?
I think the key words from what they posted were "In UK airspace"
chrism20 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2020, 19:21
  #772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 541
Perhaps the double counting comes from codeshares and cancellations still visible on websites which only show as cancelled when you click on each one. Either way, that 800 figure is vastly inflated.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 07:00
  #773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by RW20 View Post
Please if you want to be considered seriously,then refrain from the gutter language i.e. Bollocks and consider your reply appropriately.
To be honest I’m sick to the back teeth of lies and figures that are quite clearly rubbish like 48k dead being presented as 20k and now suddenly 27k, £350 million a week etc etc. The last thing we need is it here too.

To to be honest the comeback is reminiscent of social media bots, focusing on the “bollocks” bit rather than actually providing the information
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 09:25
  #774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 137
There are 3 Wizz Air flights from Sofia today all with essential travellers. From tomorrow they will be back at Luton also trying 3x daily.
alm1 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:25
  #775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Charley B View Post
Was below his limits on Runway 26R ad had to wait until 26L could be opened and an ILS approach made .opened just in time to save him diverting to MAN
Why are they using R?
Were the limits airframe or weather?
bmaviscount is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:38
  #776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by bmaviscount View Post
Why are they using R?
Were the limits airframe or weather?
Weather.

I assume they’ve been using 26R to allow maintenance/resurfacing to be done to the main runway during the shutdown. This regularly happens at night during the summer, but with the majority of based aircraft arriving back between 23-1 it actually causes a fair bit of disruption, as no runway is available for 10 minutes at a time when a lot of aircraft want to use it. Getting this work done now when it can be done for days straight, rather than just 5 hours per night subject to weather, is sensible.

Or it could’ve simply been to save money. With good weather and no heavy loaded departures, there’s no need for a runway with the length and equipment of 26L. A shorter runway with far fewer lights, ILS equipment switched off would save a fair bit on the lecky bill.
Vokes55 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:39
  #777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 89
"British Airways has told staff its Gatwick airport operation may not reopen after the coronavirus pandemic passes". Link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52489013

tartan 201 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:46
  #778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,817
Scary the world is going to be completely different to as we know it now
HH6702 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:49
  #779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: HERE
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Vokes55 View Post
Weather.

I assume they’ve been using 26R to allow maintenance/resurfacing to be done to the main runway during the shutdown. This regularly happens at night during the summer, but with the majority of based aircraft arriving back between 23-1 it actually causes a fair bit of disruption, as no runway is available for 10 minutes at a time when a lot of aircraft want to use it. Getting this work done now when it can be done for days straight, rather than just 5 hours per night subject to weather, is sensible.

Or it could’ve simply been to save money. With good weather and no heavy loaded departures, there’s no need for a runway with the length and equipment of 26L. A shorter runway with far fewer lights, ILS equipment switched off would save a fair bit on the lecky bill.
You assume correctly Vokes, it is to permit scheduled runway maintenance on 26L and it does cause disruption as it can take between 10-20mins to switch from L to R, sometimes causing air holding and thereafter decreasing the landing rate due approach spacing requirements, particularly if there are heavies landing at that time on 26R which require a large gap. Those holding delays can also result in ground delays. Usual closure periods of 26L range from times between 2200utc and 0500utc. depending on time of year. NOTAM showing exact times/dates are available from multiple sources using Google.

Not wanting to get too involved in the above disagreement, those figures above look a fair assessment to me based upon data I see which is not in the public domain, however I believe even last week at one of the daily Government press conferences the figure of 18K was confirmed for passengers passing through LHR each day when a TV commentator/journalist questioned why the number was so high.
EXEL1966 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:54
  #780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,466
Level moving in or Vueling? How about easyJet codeshare with BA at Gatwick? New base for Jet2?
Buster the Bear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.