Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Gatwick-2

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 05:54
  #321 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,184
Could VS in the long run shift all their routes to Heathrow and drop Gatwick? Concentrating the fleet on Manchester and Heathrow then.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 13:06
  #322 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 6,549
Destinations change, and Las Vegas certainly has over the past 20 years. What was once a leisure/gamblers centre is now the No 1 USA centre for major trade shows and business events, driven in no small part by the substantial hotel capacity and airline connectivity from within the US. The major hotels have added significant conference facilities. I must see several major trade shows in Las Vegas advertised directly to me each year.

Orlando is trying for the same market, it's still primarily leisure now but is likely to shift over time.
WHBM is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 13:17
  #323 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 4,200
New security policy ?

Earlier today flew out of Gatwick. I was wearing leather shoes which contain small metal nails to attach the heel to the shoe so failed the arch and had to go for the X ray machine and manual hand search.
Security staff seemed insistent that *everything* including polymer banknotes and even used tissues covered in snot had to go through the X-ray machine.

I don't recall this policy being so tight before - or at least it wasn't when I flew out of Stansted about 3 weeks ago.

Is there something new at Gatwick or have they just been told by the police to be more strict because of a one-off bit of intelligence ?
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 14:05
  #324 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
Earlier today flew out of Gatwick. I was wearing leather shoes which contain small metal nails to attach the heel to the shoe so failed the arch and had to go for the X ray machine and manual hand search.
Security staff seemed insistent that *everything* including polymer banknotes and even used tissues covered in snot had to go through the X-ray machine.

I don't recall this policy being so tight before - or at least it wasn't when I flew out of Stansted about 3 weeks ago.

Is there something new at Gatwick or have they just been told by the police to be more strict because of a one-off bit of intelligence ?
The joys of air travel in 2018. Annoying, but perhaps reassuring. Especially when you are dealing with religious zealots who think their imaginary friend is better than someone elses imaginary friend!
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 14:18
  #325 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London/Fort Worth
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
Is there something new at Gatwick or have they just been told by the police to be more strict because of a one-off bit of intelligence ?
Nah - Gatwick has always been like that. The staff airside access security point is just as daft.
BAengineer is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 19:49
  #326 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,804
I have got to say travelling through airport's around the world over the last 50 odd years the only one I have had any problems security wise is yes you guessed it GATWICK. Must be something in the water!
compton3bravo is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 23:31
  #327 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 125
Requirements seem to change every shift which is probably a good thing as when it is consistent you know to get around it, when it changes every shift you are screwed.
racedo is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2018, 06:45
  #328 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 998
Norwegian - Austin and Chicago gone for the winter, Fort Lauderdale up to 10 times weekly, Buenos Aires up to daily. https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-01jun18/
toledoashley is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2018, 08:04
  #329 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 38
Posts: 190
It looks as though Austin is seasonal and will return, re-starting to coincide with SXSW which is huge music industry event/festival.

Chicago less clear whether it will come back
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2018, 08:12
  #330 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ballymena
Posts: 1,262
Does the report not say they have filed 4 a week to Chicago?
True Blue is offline  
Old 4th Jun 2018, 14:04
  #331 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by compton3bravo View Post
I have got to say travelling through airport's around the world over the last 50 odd years the only one I have had any problems security wise is yes you guessed it GATWICK. Must be something in the water!
When did you have these “problems”?

I’ve travelled domestically and internationally to/from Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham, Glasgow, and Edinburgh over the last 2 years and Gatwick has by far the most efficient and easiest security setup.
Packer27L is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2018, 11:45
  #332 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Posts: 1,095
Not sure this has being already posted but looks like Norwegian are to lease a Boeing 747-400 from Wamos Air’ to operate DI7015/7016 which is 1 of 2 daily London Gatwick - New York JFK services from June 8th up until July 23rd

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...route-20180605
LBIA is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2018, 12:58
  #333 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Darkest Lincs
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by Packer27L View Post

When did you have these “problems”?

I’ve travelled domestically and internationally to/from Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham, Glasgow, and Edinburgh over the last 2 years and Gatwick has by far the most efficient and easiest security setup.
I totally agree. I would take Gatwick any day in preference to any of the above airports.
wowzz is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:16
  #334 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London
Posts: 2,962
New TUI route to Lamezia Terme from 11th May 2019.

TOM4650 LGW 0700 SUF 1055
TOM4651 SUF 1155 LGW 1355
saturdays with B737-800
LAX_LHR is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 17:44
  #335 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a house
Posts: 97
Gatwick central security search area always seemed quite efficient when I have travelled through. Trays seem to be bigger and the whole process more effective than LHR and LTN.

I have to agree the toilets are a disgrace. Too few cubicles leading to queuing. And some with hand washing and drying within the cubicle which simply leads to greater occupance times than having those facilities separate.

And of course single runway operations leads to delays at peak times.
ExpectmorePayless is online now  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 18:29
  #336 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by ExpectmorePayless View Post
Gatwick central security search area always seemed quite efficient when I have travelled through. Trays seem to be bigger and the whole process more effective than LHR and LTN.
.
Gatwick multi entry point at security I find brilliant and they do it better than anywhere else. No more standing behind family from hell who spent 10 mins taking all manner of things from bags at last minute, querying and arguing over every request.
Luton is crowded and maybe one day may be right when eventually finish it around 2040 or so.
Standsted too busy
Heathrow avoid like the plague.
racedo is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 23:37
  #337 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lichfield UK
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Gatwick multi entry point at security I find brilliant and they do it better than anywhere else. No more standing behind family from hell who spent 10 mins taking all manner of things from bags at last minute, querying and arguing over every request.
Luton is crowded and maybe one day may be right when eventually finish it around 2040 or so.
Standsted too busy
Heathrow avoid like the plague.
The added bonus is that the staff there are in my experience, professional, friendly and really polite...unlike our experience at LHR T3 last year when people who couldn't find trays were being barked at by a rude Peggy Mount soundalike.
RealFish is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2018, 23:55
  #338 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 39
Posts: 633
Have Air Canada Rouge dropped LGW entirely? I know Vancouver was dropped but I know Toronto had been on sale? Only Aer Lingus over DUB bookable it seems. Has BA's launch of LGW-YYZ seen too much capacity dropped into the market?

Last edited by Skipness One Foxtrot; 16th Jun 2018 at 00:36.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2018, 00:21
  #339 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London, UK & Europe
Posts: 2
Yes, became apparent around March.
j636 is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2018, 13:59
  #340 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middlesex (under the flightpath)
Posts: 1,931
Could VS in the long run shift all their routes to Heathrow and drop Gatwick? Concentrating the fleet on Manchester and Heathrow then.
Entirely possible if and when LHR's 3rd rwy is up and running. Unlike BA, who also operate at both LGW and LHR, VS does not have a hub at LGW so has no need to stay there if there is availibility at LHR.
Fairdealfrank is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.