Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

EasyJet-5

Old 19th Mar 2020, 16:15
  #861 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 776
Birmingham?
lfc84 is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 16:20
  #862 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ballymena
Posts: 1,263
you sure it wasn't too few letters, not words?
True Blue is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 18:37
  #863 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,524
I read on the BBC that EZY want all their staff to take 3 months unpaid leave. But the bosses are merely taking a 20% pay cut. Since the recovery from the present situation will have nothing to do with the EZY bosses, I can't see why they should be paid at all.
inOban is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 19:21
  #864 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 71
Posts: 1,267
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
you sure it wasn't too few letters, not words?
Yes, thatís probably it.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 19:23
  #865 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
I read on the BBC that EZY want all their staff to take 3 months unpaid leave. But the bosses are merely taking a 20% pay cut. Since the recovery from the present situation will have nothing to do with the EZY bosses, I can't see why they should be paid at all.
Surely the CEO, COO and FD will be the principle players, within the company, who will determine whether the company survives this crisis, and therefore whether there are any jobs at all?
Tonyq is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 19:37
  #866 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IoM & Luton
Age: 56
Posts: 2,054
The article actually said "Among the proposed changes are a freeze on planned pay rises and a requirement to take three months of unpaid leave." but discussions are still ongoing.
pabely is online now  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 19:45
  #867 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: No longer welcome status
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by Tonyq View Post
Surely the CEO, COO and FD will be the principle players, within the company, who will determine whether the company survives this crisis, and therefore whether there are any jobs at all?
I agree, they will have a major part to play.

In addition if you make senior management redundant you will find that minimum 3 or 6 month or more notice contracts in place. This means you pay them for this plus enhanced redundancy.

If and when the system rboots itself there are the very people you need to be able to get back to whatever is normal. If this started to happen in July then you will have paid them 3 months notice (minimum), lots of redundancy and you will still need the skills they have.
racedo is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 21:22
  #868 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 4,211
I can only guess that this is a way to motivate lots of Easyjet staff to find an alternate job ASAP - it's in effect saying to people that they can remain nominally employed so there is no gap on their CV, but they should spend the next 3 months focussed solely on looking for a new job. Alternatively if people really really need cash now then take your chances with redundancy money.
That said, the people at the top should be taking a deeper paycut than just 20% - they will certainly be working very hard in the next few months to save the company, but it fails to recognise that somebody on 500k per year can afford a reduced income much more easily than someone on 20k per year. Very poor leadership
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 19th Mar 2020, 22:34
  #869 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 8,089
I would imagine their plans for a swanky new HQ will be kicked into the long grass.

LTNman is online now  
Old 20th Mar 2020, 01:14
  #870 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Not At Home
Posts: 2,213
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
I would imagine their plans for a swanky new HQ will be kicked into the long grass.
Nope. Itís going ahead.
EcamSurprise is online now  
Old 20th Mar 2020, 17:31
  #871 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 11
I tell you one thing that easyJet are getting wrong is their PR regarding present political/commercial situation.
The paying public aren't going to be too impressed with their whining (alongside other airlines) for a government payout when they read about the millions that are paid out to easy investors while the present crisis worsens. The amounts alone that Stelios and family have received in recent years is breathtaking? So why should Joe Public have to cough up when there are many more deserving causes that may need financial assistance?

I wish you all well during the present crisis, but suggest your company's board and management should maybe take a look in the mirror before they start stretching out with the begging bowl.

Good luck to you all and I hope your jobs remain during this crisis.
WelshBarry is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2020, 18:08
  #872 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by WelshBarry View Post
I tell you one thing that easyJet are getting wrong is their PR regarding present political/commercial situation.
The paying public aren't going to be too impressed with their whining (alongside other airlines) for a government payout when they read about the millions that are paid out to easy investors while the present crisis worsens. The amounts alone that Stelios and family have received in recent years is breathtaking? So why should Joe Public have to cough up when there are many more deserving causes that may need financial assistance?

I wish you all well during the present crisis, but suggest your company's board and management should maybe take a look in the mirror before they start stretching out with the begging bowl.

Good luck to you all and I hope your jobs remain during this crisis.
It's simple: what you and most of the public seem to ignore is that most of those share holders are pension funds.

Sure maybe Stelios should forego his dividend. But you cannot rightfully refuse it to be paid to those vital funds that will impact peoples pensions. The hardship is coming for easy staff and they have my deepest sympathies at this difficult time. But why cause hardship for even more people?
JSCL is online now  
Old 20th Mar 2020, 18:48
  #873 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 8,089
They say it had already been signed off.
LTNman is online now  
Old 20th Mar 2020, 19:59
  #874 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oh Cavey
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
They say it had already been signed off.
this was asked to Johan in a stand up last week. To be fair to him you could tell he was unhappy that the money had left the business and couldn’t do anything about it.

Last edited by Captain_Caveman; 20th Mar 2020 at 22:48.
Captain_Caveman is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 05:45
  #875 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by WelshBarry View Post
I tell you one thing that easyJet are getting wrong is their PR regarding present political/commercial situation.
The paying public aren't going to be too impressed with their whining (alongside other airlines) for a government payout when they read about the millions that are paid out to easy investors while the present crisis worsens.
I don't think the public will give a flying rat's arsehole. They'll still want their cheap flights to Benidorm and once this has blown over it'll be a distant memory.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 08:52
  #876 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 72
Posts: 2,464
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset View Post
I don't think the public will give a flying rat's arsehole. They'll still want their cheap flights to Benidorm and once this has blown over it'll be a distant memory.
Your really believe that? Good grief.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 09:17
  #877 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IOM
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
Your really believe that? Good grief.
I could. Amidst all this, I'm itching to book a holiday.
JSCL is online now  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 10:20
  #878 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 635
Happy trippers to Benidorm are only part of the picture. Its business travel that pays the bills. If they spend months using modern media to deal with each other worldwide, sucessfully, when `normality` returns they are much less likely to send exec`s by air. The second drawback does affect the happy trippers to Benidorm and that is the Travel Insurance Industry..Already they have said they will not cover again for pandemics and virus emergencies like this, after the 14th March actually. That alone will dampen demand. They give the appearance of being latter day Highwaymen so if you fall ill abroad, they`ll do their best, again, to wriggle out of paying.

Time of course will tell
paully is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 11:56
  #879 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Where the next project takes me
Posts: 190
Yes and No.
Holiday wise - the wide consensus in our family is that as soon as we can we are going to get something booked and go 'somewhere - anywhere' (er not Benidorm though thanks).
Business wise - I had my first trip cancelled 3 weeks ago (the day before travel) and since then I have been working remotely. The limitations of doing this are already apparent to me and to my clients. With a more or less global reach on my activities, the practical issue of different time zones is a major challenge. There is a considerable amount of pent-up demand to get things done face to face whenever it's possible.
Of more relevance though is whether there is an economy left to do business with. We are literally watching our children's futures go up in smoke.
FFMAN is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2020, 12:33
  #880 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: .
Posts: 416
Originally Posted by paully View Post
Happy trippers to Benidorm are only part of the picture. Its business travel that pays the bills. If they spend months using modern media to deal with each other worldwide, sucessfully, when `normality` returns they are much less likely to send exec`s by air. The second drawback does affect the happy trippers to Benidorm and that is the Travel Insurance Industry..Already they have said they will not cover again for pandemics and virus emergencies like this, after the 14th March actually. That alone will dampen demand. They give the appearance of being latter day Highwaymen so if you fall ill abroad, they`ll do their best, again, to wriggle out of paying.

Time of course will tell
The insurers (or mine at least) will cover medical expenses but not cancellation or delay due to corona from the date it was declared a pandemic. That's why tui etc have issued a promise around fee free flexibility on bookings.
gojmc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.