Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

EasyJet-5

Old 5th Dec 2019, 11:13
  #761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 889
If not a base, I still think there is a fair amount of scope for away based flying at BHX, particularly with the uncertainty of the future direction and strategy of Virgin Connect. BHX - MXP. LYS and TXL spring to mind.

Guess we have to be happy with the 4 routes we have for 2020 (assuming EDI ever gets released!)
GayFriendly is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2019, 20:42
  #762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,324
BHX

Whilst of course more than feasible operationally to serve more European routes from other bases like MXP, LYS and TXL, it's a prospect that seems quite unlikely.

It doesn't really suit their usual network development strategy in the UK and would still be hugely limiting as to what route development opportunities could work from BHX.

If there was a significant appetite to grow a European route map from BHX, they'd open a base, pure and simple. The problem right now no doubt would be access to optimal first wave slots, but they wouldn't just serve odds and sods from other existing bases as a substitute to more profitable expansion, simply just because they can.
FRatSTN is online now  
Old 5th Dec 2019, 21:24
  #763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Solihull
Age: 56
Posts: 3,163
BHX

Originally Posted by FRatSTN View Post
Whilst of course more than feasible operationally to serve more European routes from other bases like MXP, LYS and TXL, it's a prospect that seems quite unlikely.

It doesn't really suit their usual network development strategy in the UK and would still be hugely limiting as to what route development opportunities could work from BHX.

If there was a significant appetite to grow a European route map from BHX, they'd open a base, pure and simple. The problem right now no doubt would be access to optimal first wave slots, but they wouldn't just serve odds and sods from other existing bases as a substitute to more profitable expansion, simply just because they can.
I always got the impression it is more about how much the airport would give them per pax to open a base whereas BHX usually like it the other way around.

Slots, stands etc is not an issue at BHX and remember there are two early morning ring-fenced slots for AMS and CDG currently used by Flybe available to any other airline that wants them. This is why the rumours resurfaced as they only have to keep the 3 CDG and 5 Amsterdam slot pairs for 3 years I believe before they can use them on whatever route they want.

Of course I doubt any right-minded airline wouldn't want 5 Amsterdam slot pairs on BHX but I don't think you have to take them all and to some, including me thought that this was the most likely way easyjet would come to BHX in numbers.

There are still plenty of routes at BHX which easyjet could consider at BHX but they clearly feel that to make money they would need help from the airport and maybe this is the sticking point.

I get the impression BHX are not convinced that they would recover any cost involved in a deal from ancillary income such as shops and car parks and no doubt easyjet believe BHX services will not be profitable if they pay the airports published fees but hopefully one day they will be able to agree common ground.

Pete
OltonPete is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2019, 23:16
  #764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,561
It doesn't really suit their usual network development strategy in the UK and would still be hugely limiting as to what route development opportunities could work from BHX.

I don't understand. At EDI all the MXP flights use frames based there, same for Venice and, in the summer, Basel. They could provide a range of city pairs using their continental bases, not just those already mentioned but also Geneva and Lisbon. If they avoid competing, at least for the moment, with Jet2 on the holiday business I think they could do well.
One factor not mentioned is that BRS is reaching its limit under existing permission, and looks unlikely to be allowed to expand soon. And on the Luton thread it is suggested that the airport may already be in breach of its existing limit.
inOban is online now  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 18:05
  #765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,876
be interesting to see what tomorrow's swathe of route announcements brings!
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 18:35
  #766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: london
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe View Post
be interesting to see what tomorrow's swathe of route announcements brings!
Itíll be interesting to see whether EZY are conservative with their growth next year or introduce a roll of new routes. With TCX gone and their relaunched holiday business, I wonder if we will see a load of new seasonal sun routes?
_aax1 is online now  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 18:41
  #767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham
Age: 59
Posts: 831
Originally Posted by _aax1 View Post


Itíll be interesting to see whether EZY are conservative with their growth next year or introduce a roll of new routes. With TCX gone and their relaunched holiday business, I wonder if we will see a load of new seasonal sun routes?
really hope BHX is featured in the list of new routes
BHX5DME is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 18:52
  #768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United kingdom
Posts: 307
I would say EDI-BHX will be put on sale tommorow as it seems like the best time to put it up for sale when any potential new routes may be announced, I believe EDI-GIB and EDI-CTA are possible for tommorow but its wait and see as previously said!
Plane mad 134 is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 20:28
  #769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by Plane mad 134 View Post
I would say EDI-BHX will be put on sale tommorow as it seems like the best time to put it up for sale when any potential new routes may be announced, I believe EDI-GIB and EDI-CTA are possible for tommorow but its wait and see as previously said!
Gibraltar from EDI? That would be left-field. Who wants to go there (that can't just go via all the flights to AGP) Pretty niche and I would have thought lots of other mainstream gaps for EZY (incl AGP). All will be revealed however...
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 20:41
  #770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ainsdale
Posts: 1,700
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe View Post


Gibraltar from EDI? That would be left-field. Who wants to go there (that can't just go via all the flights to AGP) Pretty niche and I would have thought lots of other mainstream gaps for EZY (incl AGP). All will be revealed however...
Good airport for serving not just Gibraltar but that area of the Costa Del Sol and Costa De La Luz., The area is growing and BRS-GIB from what I've heard has done really well. It's a good shout imo. A Route from Ireland is lacking from there too.
MKY661 is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 21:06
  #771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Republic of Scotland
Posts: 19
Looks like just another one of PlaneMad's EDI fantasies. I think he's made this "rumour" up on the bases that you can now book an easyJet Holiday to Gibraltar from EDI. What PlaneMad has failed to realise, or chosen to ignore and not highlight, is that these holidays use the existing EDI AGP flights.
FlyingScotland is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 21:11
  #772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United kingdom
Posts: 307
Originally Posted by FlyingScotland View Post
Looks like just another one of PlaneMad's EDI fantasies. I think he's made this "rumour" up on the bases that you can now book an easyJet Holiday to Gibraltar from EDI. What PlaneMad has failed to realise, or chosen to ignore and not highlight, is that these holidays use the existing EDI AGP flights.
EasyJet don't serve EDI-AGP?
Plane mad 134 is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 21:12
  #773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,231
Originally Posted by FlyingScotland View Post
Looks like just another one of PlaneMad's EDI fantasies. I think he's made this "rumour" up on the bases that you can now book an easyJet Holiday to Gibraltar from EDI. What PlaneMad has failed to realise, or chosen to ignore and not highlight, is that these holidays use the existing EDI AGP flights.
I wouldn't rubbish it as a suggestion. Gibraltar would be a nice 2 weekly route for mini breaks and the Gibraltaran government might throw in an incentive as they want to build up their tourist industry.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 22:00
  #774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,253
easyJet did include EDI-GIB and CTA in their slot submissions for Summer 2020 at EDI. Although itís no guarantee that the routes will materialise, this one isnít pie in the sky.
Flightrider is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 22:05
  #775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by Plane mad 134 View Post
EasyJet don't serve EDI-AGP?
But there are plenty of AGP flights ex EDI
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 22:05
  #776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted by Flightrider View Post
easyJet did include EDI-GIB and CTA in their slot submissions for Summer 2020 at EDI. Although itís no guarantee that the routes will materialise, this one isnít pie in the sky.
Not this slot submissions thing again... so thats where he's getting it.
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 22:08
  #777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,253
It is normally a good, but not absolute, guide as to what airlines will do. Some may disguise their slot requests to deliberately throw competitors off track. Edi-Gib might turn out to be edi-agp for all we know.

The Jet2 LIS thing was fantasy though. There were no slots at EDI, LIS or gaps in the programme for this or anything masquerading as this.
Flightrider is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 06:59
  #778 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 1,006
So Far:

Gatwick - Enfidah, Tirana
Luton - Verona, Pula
Edinburgh - Gibraltar, Catania
Glasgow - Dalaman, Pula, Barcelona
Bristol - Antalya
Belfast - Dalaman
Liverpool - Antalya

Bordeaux - Fuerteventura, Figara, Ajaccio, Olbia

Last edited by toledoashley; 11th Dec 2019 at 08:44.
toledoashley is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 08:27
  #779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North West UK
Age: 66
Posts: 197
Liverpool - Antalya
eye2eye5 is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 09:44
  #780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: london
Posts: 75
Also new... from March 2020

Valencia-Berlin SXF
Valencia-Basel
Lon12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.