Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 3rd Nov 2018, 16:04
  #761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by Alwayslistening View Post


Yes all correct. Cardiff receive government grants perhaps thatís the reason for the additional aircraft??

DSA is only going to get bigger with TUI starting long haul flights next year and the terminal being extended. Real potential for Flybe to gain a proper foothold in the region if they make the right decisions.
I believe it's been posted on here before that the 3rd aircraft is at their own risk for CWL.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 15:01
  #762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,612
Flybe right now are having a bit of a tough time and their competitors will likely be very much aware of this.

What stops the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair from deploying A320 / B737 aircraft on Flybe's main trunk routes ? I'm thinking of the likes of SOU-EDI/GLA/MAN/JER/AMS and the equivalent out if EXT, BHX and MAN ? Easyjet have not been afraid to make life harder for Flybe on the Isle of Man

As relatively short routes, runway length becomes less important. The only thing I can think of is competition law (I can't really see MOL worrying that aggressive competition would not look very nice to the middle classes !) but as long as LCCs can show they were not price dumping they would presumably have a defence in court
davidjohnson6 is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 15:49
  #763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 571
Did flybe used to have a base on the Isle of man, if so how many based aircraft did they used to have there.

I am sure I read somewhere recently that they are reopening the isle of Man base and having 3 dash8 aircraft there, but I fail to see on what routes 3 dash8 aircraft
would be used on, unless that's not what I read, as I cant find the original article now...…..#
fjencl is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 15:50
  #764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 693
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
Flybe right now are having a bit of a tough time and their competitors will likely be very much aware of this.

What stops the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair from deploying A320 / B737 aircraft on Flybe's main trunk routes ? I'm thinking of the likes of SOU-EDI/GLA/MAN/JER/AMS and the equivalent out if EXT, BHX and MAN ? Easyjet have not been afraid to make life harder for Flybe on the Isle of Man

As relatively short routes, runway length becomes less important. The only thing I can think of is competition law (I can't really see MOL worrying that aggressive competition would not look very nice to the middle classes !) but as long as LCCs can show they were not price dumping they would presumably have a defence in court
A couple of questions:

1/ What makes you think Easy or Ryan give much of a hoot what Flybe do when they seem quite capable of hitting the self-destruct button all by themselves.
2/ Suppose they did want to hurt Flybe...it's a 70+ aircraft airline..where are they supposed to source that number of hulls with crews from to make a difference.

Flybe are UK only...Easy and Ryan are true pan-European airlines....I suspect what Flybe does goes largely beneath both companies notice (apart from comedy value) until such time as the routes become of interest due to implosion.
TartinTon is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 16:09
  #765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,372
What stops the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair from deploying A320 / B737 aircraft on Flybe's main trunk routes ? I'm thinking of the likes of SOU-EDI/GLA/MAN/JER/AMS and the equivalent out if EXT, BHX and MAN ? Easyjet have not been afraid to make life harder for Flybe on the Isle of Man
There's nothing to stop them - I'm sure if they thought it was worth their while, they'd have done it years ago.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 17:12
  #766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 631
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6 View Post
What stops the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair from deploying A320 / B737 aircraft on Flybe's main trunk routes ? I'm thinking of the likes of SOU-EDI/GLA/MAN/JER/AMS and the equivalent out if EXT, BHX and MAN ? Easyjet have not been afraid to make life harder for Flybe on the Isle of Man
They apparently don't think it would be worth their while. Both, and in particularly easyJet, have previously been much more involved in UK domestic flying.
01475 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 18:00
  #767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: iom
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by fjencl View Post
Did flybe used to have a base on the Isle of man, if so how many based aircraft did they used to have there.

I am sure I read somewhere recently that they are reopening the isle of Man base and having 3 dash8 aircraft there, but I fail to see on what routes 3 dash8 aircraft
would be used on, unless that's not what I read, as I cant find the original article now...Ö..#
Yes they did have a base on the IOM with three Q400s. These aircraft operated to LGW, MAN, LPL, BHX and LTN/JER. When they sold their Gatwick slots to EasyJet the IOM base was scaled back and then closed in 2016. Isle of Man services have been operated by FlyBe liveried Stobart ATR72-500s for the last few years.

The Stobart ATR72-500s ACMI lease arrangement is being terminated and FlyBe are re-opening a base at Ronaldsway with 2 Q400s which will operate weekdays to MAN (5 x daily) LPL (4 x daily) and BHX (1 x daily) with reduced frequencies at weekends.
jijpc is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 20:50
  #768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ellan vannin
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by jijpc View Post
Yes they did have a base on the IOM with three Q400s. These aircraft operated to LGW, MAN, LPL, BHX and LTN/JER. When they sold their Gatwick slots to EasyJet the IOM base was scaled back and then closed in 2016. Isle of Man services have been operated by FlyBe liveried Stobart ATR72-500s for the last few years.

The Stobart ATR72-500s ACMI lease arrangement is being terminated and FlyBe are re-opening a base at Ronaldsway with 2 Q400s which will operate weekdays to MAN (5 x daily) LPL (4 x daily) and BHX (1 x daily) with reduced frequencies at weekends.
I think they actually had 4 based Q400’s for a while, one went not long after ezy started serving the iom and the third was to go when lgw finished leaving only enough work for two based aircraft, but the base closed at the same time as lgw finished and lpl,man,bhx were operated by man and bhx based aircraft nightstopping until Stobart took over

The bhx services after March 2019 appear to be being operated by a bhx based aircraft
manx crab is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 10:21
  #769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: DK
Posts: 26
The following is copied from an investor forum but should be also of interest here:

HSBC upgrade to buy today. Two-thirds drop in share price since profit warning on 17 October appears overdone; value of assets ignored. On a per-share basis, they value Flybe's slot portfolio at 43p and owned fleet at 79p with balance sheet debt of 26p.

Let's all hope that the share price will now recover.
limited_sight is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 15:14
  #770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the house
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by manx crab View Post


I think they actually had 4 based Q400ís for a while, one went not long after ezy started serving the iom and the third was to go when lgw finished leaving only enough work for two based aircraft, but the base closed at the same time as lgw finished and lpl,man,bhx were operated by man and bhx based aircraft nightstopping until Stobart took over

The bhx services after March 2019 appear to be being operated by a bhx based aircraft
So, fellas, with all this chitchat about closing bases why open a new one on the rock?
Tinwald is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 17:34
  #771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 267
It's not open yet.
Reversethrustset is online now  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 17:37
  #772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: iom
Posts: 95
Tinwald,
I think there are a number of reasons from what I have read and heard. I understand that the Stobart ATR 72-500 aircraft have not been as reliable as hoped and that Stobart want to dispose of them and concentrate on the more modern ATR72-600. Either that or their leases are up.

It is also rumoured that the ATRs are not as suitable as q400s in relation to passengers travelling on the IOM Government health service patient transfer service because the door area is narrower which makes boarding wheelchair passengers or those with limited mobility more time consuming. Also they can only board through one door on an ATR whereas the Dash 8s can be boarded/turned round quicker with boarding front and back.

FlyBe were awarded a new 3 year contract by IOMG in March which is reported in todays local paper as involving 17,000 return trips per annum, the vast majority of which are by air to Liverpool with some to Manchester so I would think that FlyBe would want carry on with the contract. From my experience these Liverpool and Manchester flights are carrying good loads and with this contract it is presumably a profitable operation.
jijpc is offline  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 18:47
  #773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: back end of beyond
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by jijpc View Post
Tinwald,
I think there are a number of reasons from what I have read and heard. I understand that the Stobart ATR 72-500 aircraft have not been as reliable as hoped and that Stobart want to dispose of them and concentrate on the more modern ATR72-600. Either that or their leases are up.

It is also rumoured that the ATRs are not as suitable as q400s in relation to passengers travelling on the IOM Government health service patient transfer service because the door area is narrower which makes boarding wheelchair passengers or those with limited mobility more time consuming. Also they can only board through one door on an ATR whereas the Dash 8s can be boarded/turned round quicker with boarding front and back.

FlyBe were awarded a new 3 year contract by IOMG in March which is reported in todays local paper as involving 17,000 return trips per annum, the vast majority of which are by air to Liverpool with some to Manchester so I would think that FlyBe would want carry on with the contract. From my experience these Liverpool and Manchester flights are carrying good loads and with this contract it is presumably a profitable operation.

Leases are up on ATR 72--500's
OTP over 80%, less than 3% flights cancelled in 2019 due to ALL reasons (WX, tech & misc)
Understand that loading PRM's can be an issue but OTP shows not a huge problem
Personal view only I think cancellation of Stobart Contract has more to do with Flybe's financial postion
desk_bound is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2018, 10:52
  #774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Belfast
Posts: 178
Share price on the rise
over 12p now
Startledgrapefruit is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:13
  #775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the road
Posts: 693
Thrown in the towel?

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-an...-sale-11553619
TartinTon is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:15
  #776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 97
Reasons cited include Brexit and weak pound. The entire airline is now worth only £25m. Who'd want to buy though?
jfy1999 is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:31
  #777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: scotland
Posts: 707
Most likely Stobart Group, but I guess possibly Air France KLM or even IAG could be an option.
goldeneye is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:32
  #778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manchester
Posts: 35
Can smell easyjet already in the background looking at Flybeís slots at its key cities.....
EZYMAN is online now  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:32
  #779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 761
It says for sale or merger. Wonder if they have an airline in mind for a merger already?
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2018, 21:34
  #780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Manchester
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
It says for sale or merger. Wonder if they have an airline in mind for a merger already?
Stobart have looked at Flybe in recent time
EZYMAN is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.