Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 5th Mar 2020, 13:42
  #3861 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 859
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Just posted on the SOU thread how sad the Destinations map looks today...
https://www.southamptonairport.com/destinations/

SOU has also lost the AF code-share to CDG, and all the summer IT charter series that Flybe were flying for for TUI Holidays and Inghams to Menorca and Verona
rog747 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 14:47
  #3862 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BMA
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -collapse/

That's an interesting article which basically states what happened.

"Nevertheless, discussions on the £100m bailout were stalling. The Government hired restructuring specialists from Alvarez & Marsal to consider whether it was prudent to hand the carrier a loan.The consultants’ report was damning. The airline was bleeding millions in cash and there was little or no security to fall back on, sources say. The reticence of Virgin to put its branding on the airline – the ‘Virgin Connect’ rollout had been postponed – was telling, Alvarez & Marsal concluded."
BA318 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 14:56
  #3863 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 728
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGS6753
Senior managers at Southampton, Cardiff and Belfast have just been interviewed on Sky news.
The Belfast man said that they were in advanced discussions with other airlines about taking on the routes, and that announcements would be made shortly.
The Cardiff woman just waffled to the extent that I'm not sure what points she was trying to make.
The Southampton man seemed like a rabbit startled in a car's headlights although his business had most to lose. No indication was given of future announcements.
I wonder if CWL are kicking themselves for what they did to CityJet...
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 14:58
  #3864 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 728
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SealinkBF
I wonder if CWL are kicking themselves for what they did to CityJet...
Geographically, Belfast is at an advantage. With Southampton having direct rail access to Gatwick, and Heathrow via the excellent Woking AirLink they will have a bigger challenge.

Last edited by SealinkBF; 5th Mar 2020 at 18:18.
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 15:03
  #3865 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 74
Posts: 1,499
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the Jersey Airport website, several BEE flights have been operated by Blue Island today using their own flight numbers. Destinations have included Guernsey, Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, East Midlands & London City. I presume that this will continue tomorrow; does anyone know ? If BCI were to take over these routes it would stretch them, somewhat, but might also give them a new lease of life & a more secure future.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 15:55
  #3866 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Planet no. 3
Posts: 108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA318
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -collapse/

That's an interesting article which basically states what happened.

"Nevertheless, discussions on the £100m bailout were stalling. The Government hired restructuring specialists from Alvarez & Marsal to consider whether it was prudent to hand the carrier a loan.The consultants’ report was damning. The airline was bleeding millions in cash and there was little or no security to fall back on, sources say. The reticence of Virgin to put its branding on the airline – the ‘Virgin Connect’ rollout had been postponed – was telling, Alvarez & Marsal concluded."
Behind a paywall.

A similar take pointing out the volte-face of the government:

https://www.socialist.net/flybe-coll...e-industry.htm

After his election victory, the Prime Minister was under pressure to appear interventionist and deliver for the more deprived areas in the UK. Flybe was given extra time to pay its outstanding Air Passenger Duty - a sort of ‘tax holiday’.

Former chancellor Sajid Javid appeared quite lenient towards the airline. The fresh Conservative government didn’t want to lose face so early on, especially following the demise of Thomas Cook last year.

Johnson has subsequently been quite ruthless in purging his own Cabinet, however. And the British ruling class is openly divided on how to tackle key questions like this. Sajid Javid had to go, and was replaced by Rishi Sunak, who quickly backtracked on the whole tax holiday idea.

Despite claims about engaging in talks until the end, it seems obvious that Flybe was eventually allowed to collapse. This, after all, is in accordance with the principles of the free market that are upheld by this thoroughly reactionary Tory government: let the weak go under, and all will turn out for the best in the long run.
vlieger is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 16:13
  #3867 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
According to the Jersey Airport website, several BEE flights have been operated by Blue Island today using their own flight numbers. Destinations have included Guernsey, Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, East Midlands & London City. I presume that this will continue tomorrow; does anyone know ? If BCI were to take over these routes it would stretch them, somewhat, but might also give them a new lease of life & a more secure future.
The Exeter and Birmingham flights were one off rescue flights. The others are regular Blue Islands destinations
bmaviscount is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 16:32
  #3868 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BMA
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vlieger
Behind a paywall.

A similar take pointing out the volte-face of the government:

https://www.socialist.net/flybe-coll...e-industry.htm
The socialist article isn't a similar take. It obviously objects to a Tory government. The Telegraph article is more based on comments by those involved. The Government pulled out of helping Flybe because advisers suggested there was no way they would get the £100M back given Flybe was losing millions and beyond saving. The tax changes were not implemented because under EU law (which still applies to us until the end of the transition period) any change would also need to apply to EU flights and therefore would cost huge amounts.
BA318 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 16:50
  #3869 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jersey
Age: 74
Posts: 1,499
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaviscount
The Exeter and Birmingham flights were one off rescue flights. The others are regular Blue Islands destinations
Thank you bmaviscount.
kcockayne is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 17:46
  #3870 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: west of the tamar
Age: 75
Posts: 872
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The BBC is showing a graph showing percentage of Flybe flights by airport, source the CAA....except Newquay isn't on it. There's accuracy for you.
GROUNDHOG is online now  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 18:21
  #3871 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: davenport IA
Age: 69
Posts: 410
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue island

Originally Posted by kcockayne
According to the Jersey Airport website, several BEE flights have been operated by Blue Island today using their own flight numbers. Destinations have included Guernsey, Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, East Midlands & London City. I presume that this will continue tomorrow; does anyone know ? If BCI were to take over these routes it would stretch them, somewhat, but might also give them a new lease of life & a more secure future.
I can confirm blue island will continue the BRS flights. I dont know what other airports have been confirmed.
yeo valley is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 18:26
  #3872 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: manchester
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks FlyBe crew!!

Very many thanks to all the FlyBe crew who over many years have got me safely home to Manchester.
The flight deck crew who performed at superb levels in all sorts of horrendous weather at MAN, IOM, BHD, JER, HAN and others. Always felt safer with your real flying skills up front on a bad night, and not with some button pushers.
The great crew in the cabin: always cheery, up for a joke, but knowing that when push came to shove (perhaps literally), they were on top of their jobs.
What a loss; what a waste.
Here’s hoping for the best for you great guys.
You will be sorely missed by me, humble ageing passenger...
slf99 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 18:26
  #3873 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the real world.
Posts: 630
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GROUNDHOG
The BBC is showing a graph showing percentage of Flybe flights by airport, source the CAA....except Newquay isn't on it. There's accuracy for you.

GCI missing too!
Jerbourg is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 19:20
  #3874 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 418
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA318
The socialist article isn't a similar take. It obviously objects to a Tory government. The Telegraph article is more based on comments by those involved. The Government pulled out of helping Flybe because advisers suggested there was no way they would get the £100M back given Flybe was losing millions and beyond saving. The tax changes were not implemented because under EU law (which still applies to us until the end of the transition period) any change would also need to apply to EU flights and therefore would cost huge amounts.
How did we know a month ago that the change in APD wasn't possible yet the government didn't? Muppets.
Copenhagen is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 19:53
  #3875 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 5,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A quote from the Telegraph......The parlous state of Flybe’s finances was brought sharply into focus as it emerged the carrier was just days from being able to cash in lucrative landing slots at Heathrow.

Sources said a regulatory moratorium on the airline being able to trade the slots - which could have been worth tens of millions of pounds - was due to be lifted at the end of this month.
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 21:51
  #3876 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 44
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by airsouthwest
Whilst I am shocked it happened so quickly, I'm not at all surprised to see Flybe has gone into administration. I worked & trained with them until 2018, so my thoughts go to everyone who has lost their job. It particularly upset me to see Katherine on the new's crying her eyes out not knowing what to do with her life anymore, I really hope she get's a new job soon and it really does bring a human aspect to this entire story.

As for the this whole debacle, I personally don't blame Connect Airways who by the sound of it went to extraordinary lengths to try and keep the airline going or the government even though they are an bunch of incompetent idiots, this is all down to the pure incompetence of Christine Oumiers Wider and her team, who overspent all the reserves Saad Hammad put back, and then sold off the remaining aircraft, buildings etc that Flybe had to raise a bit of cash, once that happened the clock really was ticking for Flybe, it's been extremely hard to see them over the last few months limping on like a wounded animal until today. So many people are going to be affected by Flybe, and I don't think this is the end of it, prepare to hear Exeter, Southampton, Newquay etc all struggling to survive over the next few months, although I think Exeter will survive I cannot see Southampton or Newquay being around in 5 years time. Certainly some interesting and very upsetting times ahead.

As for the aircraft, I can see the Ejet's being bought and heading off to America or Canada. Some of the Q400s will probably go to Africa but I can see some of the oldest ones being sent for scrap, as they have been heavily used by Flybe over the last 13 years.
Totally agree. She was definitely the final nail in the coffin. Whilst Mr French has to take most of the blame as the Ejets essentially became the proverbial ball and chain, if the cost cutting under Hammmad was continued BE might still be going. The fact she implemented a new livery at a time when money was short, which by the way had absolutely no redeeming features as it made the planes less visible compared to the bright purple, sums her up. The scary thing is she has probably escaped without a blemish on her record and will wind up heading up another company until that goes to the wall as well.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 21:55
  #3877 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BMA
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airsouthwest
Whilst I am shocked it happened so quickly, I'm not at all surprised to see Flybe has gone into administration. I worked & trained with them until 2018, so my thoughts go to everyone who has lost their job. It particularly upset me to see Katherine on the new's crying her eyes out not knowing what to do with her life anymore, I really hope she get's a new job soon and it really does bring a human aspect to this entire story.

As for the this whole debacle, I personally don't blame Connect Airways who by the sound of it went to extraordinary lengths to try and keep the airline going or the government even though they are an bunch of incompetent idiots, this is all down to the pure incompetence of Christine Oumiers Wider and her team, who overspent all the reserves Saad Hammad put back, and then sold off the remaining aircraft, buildings etc that Flybe had to raise a bit of cash, once that happened the clock really was ticking for Flybe, it's been extremely hard to see them over the last few months limping on like a wounded animal until today. So many people are going to be affected by Flybe, and I don't think this is the end of it, prepare to hear Exeter, Southampton, Newquay etc all struggling to survive over the next few months, although I think Exeter will survive I cannot see Southampton or Newquay being around in 5 years time. Certainly some interesting and very upsetting times ahead.

As for the aircraft, I can see the Ejet's being bought and heading off to America or Canada. Some of the Q400s will probably go to Africa but I can see some of the oldest ones being sent for scrap, as they have been heavily used by Flybe over the last 13 years.
Indeed. Christine must go down as one of the worst airline CEOs of recent times. Cityjet never made a profit under her, VLM (which had predominantly had good results) was bought and then wiped out and then Flybe was mismanaged with this as the end result.
BA318 is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 22:13
  #3878 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 631
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA318
Indeed. Christine must go down as one of the worst airline CEOs of recent times. Cityjet never made a profit under her, VLM (which had predominantly had good results) was bought and then wiped out and then Flybe was mismanaged with this as the end result.
I don’t blame her, I blame the people who appointed her. It was obvious that she wasn’t up to the job, which I said on here at the time she was appointed, so to give her the job was completely reckless.

Last edited by runway30; 5th Mar 2020 at 22:30.
runway30 is online now  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 22:19
  #3879 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 44
Posts: 782
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runway30
i don’t blame her, I blame the people who appointed her. It was obvious that she wasn’t up to the job, which I said on here at the time she was appointed, so to give her the job was completely reckless.
Yes but she has a lovely double barreled name. Plus don't forget that according to her airlines should be hiring CEOs purely based on the applicant's sex. It's not about the candidates track record, it's about equality and nothing else.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 5th Mar 2020, 22:28
  #3880 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 631
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don’t forget she has the advantage that her name produces an acronym that is far funnier than any other airline CEO.
runway30 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.