Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 7th Jul 2018, 07:40
  #341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by lfc84 View Post
or 15 minutes late for check in or the gate ?

that's what really annoys me is the double standards !

late is late (not being within 15 minutes) or padding out the schedule for that matter !
I get your point and occasionally there is flexibility with checkin - especially if hand baggage only depending on when checkin closes. Flybe check in closes -20 min for hand baggage only so if you were 15 mins late the flight isnít going on time giving everyone else reason to moan.

Likewise at the gate if the flight waited for everyone that was 15 mins late the doors couldnít be closed up, pushback clearance request would be delayed and then your flight wouldnít get away on time anyway.

Passengers are actually in my opinion becoming more and more demanding with very little awareness or consideration to how challenging it is to fly a plane now a days. Not just cost, but itís so heavily congested now if not on the ground in the air. It is hard to employ people who want to work in the airport. Pressure for on time performance is immense because of compensation culture. Countries around the UK strike whenever they feel like it with France continuing to be the worse. Technical issues happen when aircraft are flown like a bus service - short flights with maybe 5-10 landings or takes offs will ultimately be prone to more potential for tech issues compared to a plane that takes off just twice in a day. All the mechanical movements that take place etc.

If you drive your car around the city all day long changing gear, slowing down, speeding up, turning many corners etc your car will have more natural wear and tear vs doing a single 3 hour motorway trip in a straight line at a more regular speed.

Its a debate that will never be agreed because of expectations and compensation. I blame low cost airlines and the USA compensation culture for it.

Long delays happen and itís tough, we need to get over ourselves when there are more serious things going on in the world. However what is so important and I fully agree is that how they are handled is key.

15 minute delay though, I wouldnít even care or probably notice. 35 minute delay if it is acknowledged with a reason then I wouldnít care. I plan my travel with buffers even when on business to account for these sort of things. Have flown for so many years and so many times I am just not bothered by it anymore.
Cloud1 is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2018, 12:35
  #342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,639
Originally Posted by Cloud1 View Post


I get your point and occasionally there is flexibility with checkin - especially if hand baggage only depending on when checkin closes. Flybe check in closes -20 min for hand baggage only so if you were 15 mins late the flight isnít going on time giving everyone else reason to moan.

Likewise at the gate if the flight waited for everyone that was 15 mins late the doors couldnít be closed up, pushback clearance request would be delayed and then your flight wouldnít get away on time anyway.

Passengers are actually in my opinion becoming more and more demanding with very little awareness or consideration to how challenging it is to fly a plane now a days. Not just cost, but itís so heavily congested now if not on the ground in the air. It is hard to employ people who want to work in the airport. Pressure for on time performance is immense because of compensation culture. Countries around the UK strike whenever they feel like it with France continuing to be the worse. Technical issues happen when aircraft are flown like a bus service - short flights with maybe 5-10 landings or takes offs will ultimately be prone to more potential for tech issues compared to a plane that takes off just twice in a day. All the mechanical movements that take place etc.

If you drive your car around the city all day long changing gear, slowing down, speeding up, turning many corners etc your car will have more natural wear and tear vs doing a single 3 hour motorway trip in a straight line at a more regular speed.

Its a debate that will never be agreed because of expectations and compensation. I blame low cost airlines and the USA compensation culture for it.

Long delays happen and itís tough, we need to get over ourselves when there are more serious things going on in the world. However what is so important and I fully agree is that how they are handled is key.

15 minute delay though, I wouldnít even care or probably notice. 35 minute delay if it is acknowledged with a reason then I wouldnít care. I plan my travel with buffers even when on business to account for these sort of things. Have flown for so many years and so many times I am just not bothered by it anymore.
The compensation culture in this case has less to do with the USA and more to do with the daftly drafted and enforced EU261 rules. The compensation should be amount to the cost of the flight, no more, and no less. As it is someone booked a promotional fare can easily make a large profit out of a 3 hour delay, which taking recompense a step too far.

I despair of people who whinge because on minor delays on rail or air travel. When I get into my car to make the journey from Nottingham to Birmingham I can't guarantee whether that journey is going to take one hour or 2 hours, or anywhere in between, yet nobody (yet) is suggesting that the organisation responsible for the roads, or the person responsible for an accident that results in my delay pays me compensation, and I don't expect compensation from the car manufacturer if I have a breakdown. Yet the circumstances under which compensation can be wrung from airlines (or rail operators) appears to take no account of the law the "sh1t happens".

The problem today is too many non-win no-fee lawyers, and too many keyboard warriors.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 17:33
  #343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middlesex (under the flightpath)
Posts: 1,915
The problem today is too many non-win no-fee lawyers, and too many keyboard warriors.
The former is the fault of the Thatcher government changing the law to allow lawyers to advertise back in the 1980s. Anyone watching daytime television will realise that it is only the "ambulance chasers" that took advantage of this and it is this that has encouraged American-style litigation ("where there's blame there's a claim") and the boring risk-averse society/health and safety culture that we have to endure these days. This could be easily resolved by repealing that particular legislation.

As for the keyboard warriors.......
Fairdealfrank is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 07:52
  #344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
The compensation culture in this case has less to do with the USA and more to do with the daftly drafted and enforced EU261 rules. The compensation should be amount to the cost of the flight, no more, and no less. As it is someone booked a promotional fare can easily make a large profit out of a 3 hour delay, which taking recompense a step too far.

I despair of people who whinge because on minor delays on rail or air travel. When I get into my car to make the journey from Nottingham to Birmingham I can't guarantee whether that journey is going to take one hour or 2 hours, or anywhere in between, yet nobody (yet) is suggesting that the organisation responsible for the roads, or the person responsible for an accident that results in my delay pays me compensation, and I don't expect compensation from the car manufacturer if I have a breakdown. Yet the circumstances under which compensation can be wrung from airlines (or rail operators) appears to take no account of the law the "sh1t happens".

The problem today is too many non-win no-fee lawyers, and too many keyboard warriors.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
I was given a Flybe GBP250 credit for a delayed GBP20.00 flight, and admittedly, two flight were cancelled and I was deposited at a different London airport. Still, it wasn't a total inconvenience really and the compensation was insane.

Mind you, C2C trains offer 'Delay Repay' after a two minute delay...
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 14:44
  #345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: manchester
Age: 40
Posts: 39
I see last flight LUX-MAN this year is 26Oct.
any info on possible winter schedule? looking for a flight back 28Oct.
cheers.
matjr79 is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 21:40
  #346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United kingdom
Posts: 158
I see Flybe have released phase 1 of their summer 2019 timetable details on their website, It wont let me paste the link though.
Plane mad 134 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 09:39
  #347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,608
This week has seen Flybe's Chief Operating Officer and Chief Strategy Officer both announce their departure. Management churn continues...
Cyrano is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 22:30
  #348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Plane mad 134 View Post
I see Flybe have released phase 1 of their summer 2019 timetable details on their website, It wont let me paste the link though.
No major changes so far as it stands. Pretty stagnant. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not. I believe phase 2 is usually released around some point in October - selling for the rest of the season until end of October That usually comes with the biggest changes i suppose.
Cazza_fly is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 23:22
  #349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 191
With fewer aircraft on the campus next summer consolidation is best guess across the estate.

Add in demands for resources in restoring IOM to in house and what would you expect ?

Deck chairs repositioned etc....
Rutan16 is online now  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 07:29
  #350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: This side of Heaven
Posts: 212
G-JECP
After its landing incident at Schipol in February 2017, when serious damage was sustained, DHC -8-400 G-JECP has finally been repaired and has taken to the air again - 17 months later. The aircraft is to be resprayed into the "new" livery before returning to service.
Gurnard is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 08:04
  #351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,635
17 months ? Really ? Why so long ?
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 08:56
  #352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 501
Do we know why the E75's have not been re-branded purple? looks like the vast majority of Q400's are now complete!
stewyb is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 09:11
  #353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by stewyb View Post
Do we know why the E75's have not been re-branded purple? looks like the vast majority of Q400's are now complete!
The new ones will be in purple and I'd imagine that the others will be eventually.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 07:42
  #354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NI
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
Yet the circumstances under which compensation can be wrung from airlines (or rail operators) appears to take no account of the law the "sh1t happens".
There are plenty of escape clauses for airlines. But the vast majority of cases in which compensation is paid are as a result of events that were entirely forseeable or statistically predictable, but for which the airline decided not to implement contingency plans.

The difference between you driving to Birmingham is that you haven't entered into a contract of conveyance with anyone. Not Volvo or their suppliers, Highways England, Esso.. But when I hand money to an airline they are contractually OBLIGED to convey me in some manner consistent with the advertised timings or to pay compensation. Not just for the cost of the ticket but also for the time lost in waiting for the airline to uphold their end of the deal.

Airlines are not our friends, they are avaricious businesses that will screw us over in an instant if it makes them a dollar more. Why defend them when the tables are turned?
El Bunto is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 08:21
  #355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,639
Originally Posted by El Bunto View Post
There are plenty of escape clauses for airlines. But the vast majority of cases in which compensation is paid are as a result of events that were entirely forseeable or statistically predictable, but for which the airline decided not to implement contingency plans.

The difference between you driving to Birmingham is that you haven't entered into a contract of conveyance with anyone. Not Volvo or their suppliers, Highways England, Esso.. But when I hand money to an airline they are contractually OBLIGED to convey me in some manner consistent with the advertised timings or to pay compensation. Not just for the cost of the ticket but also for the time lost in waiting for the airline to uphold their end of the deal.

Airlines are not our friends, they are avaricious businesses that will screw us over in an instant if it makes them a dollar more. Why defend them when the tables are turned?
I have entered into a contract with HMG on two levels. I pay an annual subscription (road fund licence) and then I pay them a handsome fee per litre for the fuel to run the vehicle. I could justifiably expect that for that I should be able to get from A to B in reliable consistent journey times, on roads that are fit for purpose. Neither of which I can do.

I know that I am being more than a little obtuse but the intolerance of people using using air and rail companies, and often unrealistic expectations of punctuality are tipping the balance too far in favour of the customer. Perhaps post Brexit the UK government may alter the EU261 rules, at least to limit compensation to the total cost of the ticket, including fees and taxes.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 19:09
  #356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Scotlandshire
Age: 54
Posts: 163
Apologies if this is old news but Flybe planning to reduce its fleet from 85 to 70 aircraft, phase out its E195s by 2020 and utilise the E175 on busier/longer routes. They will still receive 4 of the more efficient newer E175 in 2019
rob39 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 19:33
  #357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by rob39 View Post
Apologies if this is old news but Flybe planning to reduce its fleet from 85 to 70 aircraft, phase out its E195s by 2020 and utilise the E175 on busier/longer routes. They will still receive 4 of the more efficient newer E175 in 2019
It will be interesting to see if once the E195s leave the fleet whether they keep operating the sun routes from SOU, EXT and NWI.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 21:01
  #358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 501
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
It will be interesting to see if once the E195s leave the fleet whether they keep operating the sun routes from SOU, EXT and NWI.
With regards to SOU, Q400 to Palma and Alicante will be fine but won't stretch to Malaga and Faro and the E75 won't do any of these routes as I believe the field performance at SOU restricts this, especially in summer months with hot weather.
stewyb is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2018, 05:35
  #359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 47
I guess it largely depends whether the airports involved are prepared to extend the "Project Blackbird" agreement.

Last edited by Jersey32D; 11th Aug 2018 at 07:44.
Jersey32D is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 21:11
  #360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint View Post
Does anyone know if they have stopped painting their aircraft into the new scheme? Still plenty of q400s in the old scheme, not to mention all the 175s. Some q400s are still in the Brussels airways scheme as well. Rebrand was years ago wasnít it? Itís not like they have any new aircraft on order either.
Some Q400s are leaving supposedly, others are waiting until Cor D checks to be repainted. The E175s are all fairly new so won't get painted until their first D checks is my guess,sounds bad, but Flybe can't afford to take an aircraft out of service for 3 days to get repainted.
airsouthwest is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.