Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Flybe-9

Old 18th Feb 2020, 15:04
  #3301 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 321
I do agree with you but I can't get too excited about anything that's written here, we should all be intelligent enough to apply our own bullshit filters. I don't think the £500m loan was made up, what someone said was it was his opinion that it needed a £500m cash injection. Someone else took this as saying the government could be lending £500m. The devil is in the detail.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 15:41
  #3302 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: devon
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset View Post
I do agree with you but I can't get too excited about anything that's written here, we should all be intelligent enough to apply our own bullshit filters. I don't think the £500m loan was made up, what someone said was it was his opinion that it needed a £500m cash injection. Someone else took this as saying the government could be lending £500m. The devil is in the detail.

The 500 M figure was being bandied about head office as the figure being pushed for , so i don’t think it was a figure plucked out of the air with no substance whatsoever .

VHF4 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 15:48
  #3303 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 321
I don't really care to be honest, you're just talking semantics that are really quite irrelevant.
Reversethrustset is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 16:05
  #3304 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 63
Posts: 185
I can see this all going horribly wrong and my commiserations remain with Flybe employees' who are being shafted by their Bosses, their investors, and now a backtrack (understandably) by HM Govt...
I hope the staff and crews have financial escape parachutes at the ready should the worst happen. I have been here myself too many times in the past and would be dusting off a new CV as we speak.

As for cash and loans it was widely reported that BE needs £100m now just to tread water for a while...

Virgin have shown no stomach to want to work to get Flybe set up as Virgin Connect to feed their own mainline carrier or VS's partners.
But they have been very busy announcing this week more huge tie-ups with Delta, KLM and Air France and opening up the expansion and sharing to earn/redeem on all their mutual Frequent Flyer programs - although Flybe is an AF partner there is not a tie-up to earn/use VS rewards.

Virgin Connect is seemingly totally lost in the ether.
As mentioned above the summer season is around the corner and Connect marketing is non-existent.


Last edited by rog747; 18th Feb 2020 at 17:14.
rog747 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 16:24
  #3305 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: britain
Posts: 332
Nice, reasoed, not speculative post Rog
bean is online now  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 16:33
  #3306 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durham
Posts: 398
But they have been very busy announcing this week more huge tie-ups with Delta, KLM and Air France and opening up the expansion and sharing to earn/redeem on all their mutual Frequent Flyer programs - although Flybe is an AF partner there is not a tie-up to use VS rewards.
Just checked London SEN - NCL on 29th March and it is showing as Virgin Atlantic code share VS8900 with Flybe and Operated by Stobart Air ATR72

Wonder if other Flybe / Stobart routes will gain VS codeshare and presumably be entitled to Frequent flyer rewards?

https://aviability.com/flight-number...lantic-airways
VentureGo is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 17:14
  #3307 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 464
A lot of flights from BHD are showing as VS flight numbers
Alteagod is online now  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 17:17
  #3308 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 63
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by VentureGo View Post
Just checked London SEN - NCL on 29th March and it is showing as Virgin Atlantic code share VS8900 with Flybe and Operated by Stobart Air ATR72

Wonder if other Flybe / Stobart routes will gain VS codeshare and presumably be entitled to Frequent flyer rewards?

https://aviability.com/flight-number...lantic-airways
Interesting thanks - Although VS A340's have yet to fly from NCL to MCO or LAX, or a VS 787-9 to pop into SEN to fly JNB and back - what is the point of a VS codeshare on SEN-NCL?
Who benefits ? I'm at a loss there...No one is feeding or sharing...
rog747 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 18:37
  #3309 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,004
Glasgow also available through VS. If Flybe donít make it Stobart will want to continue the flights they operate - at least I think they will - but they need to sell tickets through someone.

Last edited by DC3 Dave; 18th Feb 2020 at 19:04.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 21:16
  #3310 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 38
Posts: 197
Itís been like that for at least three weeks, I booked some flights to Amsterdam and saw Virgin Atlantic come up on Skyscanner. I also booked a BE flight yesterday into LHR for next week and that has a VS number. I donít know if it comes up on every route but it seems it must on a fair few
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 21:33
  #3311 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
Interesting thanks - Although VS A340's have yet to fly from NCL to MCO or LAX, or a VS 787-9 to pop into SEN to fly JNB and back - what is the point of a VS codeshare on SEN-NCL?
Who benefits ? I'm at a loss there...No one is feeding or sharing...
Codesharing isnít just about feeding routes. It allows passengers to earn frequent flyer miles which helps Virgin retain customers.
BA318 is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2020, 22:08
  #3312 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: devon
Posts: 11
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...pposes-apd-cut
VHF4 is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 09:14
  #3313 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 2,151
An overhaul of Air Passenger Duty agreed as part of a rescue deal for Flybe could be abandoned under new chancellor Rishi Sunak.

The successor to Sajid Javid is reported to be against a cut to the air tax.

A government source told the Daily Telegraph: “The change of chancellor will make it significantly less likely to happen.

“The message was: ‘Don’t bank on it happening.’”

Slashing APD was a central part of a rescue deal agreed with ministers last month when the regional airline came close to appointing administrators after running low on cash.
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 09:38
  #3314 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: devon
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Asturias56 View Post
An overhaul of Air Passenger Duty agreed as part of a rescue deal for Flybe could be abandoned under new chancellor Rishi Sunak.

The successor to Sajid Javid is reported to be against a cut to the air tax.

A government source told the Daily Telegraph: “The change of chancellor will make it significantly less likely to happen.

“The message was: ‘Don’t bank on it happening.’”

Slashing APD was a central part of a rescue deal agreed with ministers last month when the regional airline came close to appointing administrators after running low on cash.




Makes one wonder what pressure the likes BA , Ryanair, Easyjet have been exerting in the background over the rescue plan.
VHF4 is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 09:47
  #3315 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,193
Originally Posted by VHF4 View Post
Makes one wonder what pressure the likes BA , Ryanair, Easyjet have been exerting in the background over the rescue plan.
Yet the reduction of APD would benefit those airlines as well. So stopping it would harm themselves.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:36
  #3316 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: devon
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
Yet the reduction of APD would benefit those airlines as well. So stopping it would harm themselves.



Maybe Flybe failing would suit them more than a tax reduction .....

However to be honest flybe’s future lies with owners they have the means to ensure it carries on , If it does go under it’s down to them and no one else
VHF4 is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:17
  #3317 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Channel Islands
Posts: 130
I seriously believe that the only interest Virgin had was the slots out of Heathrow and Manchester. Some of the Heathrow ones are automatically given to Flybe at the end of this season due to how long they have been using them for. what the airline was bought for, is nothing compared to what the slots would have cost Virgin. I really do hope I am wrong but I can see Virgin just sitting there, waiting for the airline to fold, then grabbing the slots for themselves.
GCILover is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:35
  #3318 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,193
Originally Posted by GCILover View Post
I seriously believe that the only interest Virgin had was the slots out of Heathrow and Manchester. Some of the Heathrow ones are automatically given to Flybe at the end of this season due to how long they have been using them for. what the airline was bought for, is nothing compared to what the slots would have cost Virgin. I really do hope I am wrong but I can see Virgin just sitting there, waiting for the airline to fold, then grabbing the slots for themselves.
But the slots won't belong to them. They'll belong to Connect Airways of which they are only 30% shareholders. Cyrus may well insist that they are sold or passed to Stobart Air and leased out to get to earn money from them and then they can only be used for Europe and some select destinations.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 13:32
  #3319 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 464
Is this "rescue" starting to unravel ??
Alteagod is online now  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 13:49
  #3320 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: devon
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Alteagod View Post
Is this "rescue" starting to unravel ??

Word is the new treasury team are a little less enthusiastic than their predecessors were about the wisdom of baling a company out when the company has ample funds to bale itself out......
Fair point really ,Why the hell should tax payers money be put as risk when there is no real need ?
VHF4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.