Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Cardiff-2

Old 11th Jan 2020, 07:41
  #1321 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: davenport IA
Age: 65
Posts: 383
KLM

Originally Posted by Letsflycwl View Post
Good news there from KLM, great to see a continued increase in the size of the aircraft. Next step will be having the B737 back maybe.
I would say next step would be all rotations on a E190.
yeo valley is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2020, 08:11
  #1322 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by yeo valley View Post
I would say next step would be all rotations on a E190.
It does appear to be that is where KLM are heading. 3 daily E190s would be fantastic and I guess then it would have to decided whether to add a 4th daily or upgrade to 737.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 10:47
  #1323 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Just to add it looks like that during September and October with the exception of the last week of October Wednesday and Thursday will also be 3 daily E190s. So 4 days out of 7 Cardiff will have 3 daily E190 flights.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 12:37
  #1324 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
Just to add it looks like that during September and October with the exception of the last week of October Wednesday and Thursday will also be 3 daily E190s. So 4 days out of 7 Cardiff will have 3 daily E190 flights.
KLM & their predecessors have shown a steady increase in aircraft size over the years starting off with Netherlines J31 & SF3, NLM F27, then City Hopper with SF3, F50, F70 and now the Embraers. They are obviously happy with the route and passenger loads.
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 17:38
  #1325 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
Such a shame about the current Flybe situation, not just for CWL but for the whole of the UK.

All this press attention are not going to do it any good......they did some good things for CWL and opened up quite a lot of new destinations before the Embraers left and the base closed.

Should the worse happen, what next for CWL and the BE routes? Who could/would/want to taken them over??

ABZ - Eastern
VLY - Eastern
BHD - ??
CMF - TUI?
ORK - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
DUB - Ryanair / Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
EDI - Loganair?
GVA - TUI?
JER - Blue Islands? Eastern?
NCL - Eastern
CDG - Air France?

Or are we going to see Virgin/Stobart step in to the safe the day should BE fold......as someone said on a previous page similar to BMI Regional and Loganair situation.

Last edited by Letsflycwl; 13th Jan 2020 at 19:08.
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 18:04
  #1326 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by Letsflycwl View Post
Such a shame about the current Flybe situation, not just for CWL but for the whole of the UK.

All this press attention are not going to do it any good......they did some good things for CWL and opened up quite a lot of new destinations before the Embraers left and the base closed.

Should the worse happen, what next for CWL and the BE routes? Who could/would/want to taken them over??

ABZ - Eastern
VLY - Eastern
BHD - ??
CMF - TUI?
ORK - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
DUB - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
EDI - Loganair?
GVA - TUI?
JER - Blue Islands? Eastern?
NCL - Eastern
CDG - Air France?
Could possibly see Loganair have a go at BHD. Some speculation as to what will happen to Blue Islands at the moment, as they only operate the aircraft on behalf of Flybe, whether they’d go back to their ‘old’ in house operations or stop altogether.
flyerguy is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 18:56
  #1327 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,816
NCL is a eastern airplane anyway
HH6702 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 18:58
  #1328 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by HH6702 View Post
NCL is a eastern airplane anyway
Yes Eastern base a J41 at CWL that operates the x2 daily VLY and the x1 daily NCL/ABZ.
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 19:27
  #1329 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
I could see Loganair takeover Edinburgh and Belfast but Cork Jersey Chambery and Geneva I'd say would be lost and Dublin and Paris CDG might be tricky to retain as well. With Dublin the obvious candidates would be Aer Lingus and Ryanair but both might choose to add frequency at Bristol instead and Paris it would be Air France but they might not consider Cardiff important enough to operate to and just be happy routing people through Amsterdam. Hopefully we won't have to find out if Cardiff can attract them!
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 19:41
  #1330 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
I could see Loganair takeover Edinburgh and Belfast but Cork Jersey Chambery and Geneva I'd say would be lost and Dublin and Paris CDG might be tricky to retain as well. With Dublin the obvious candidates would be Aer Lingus and Ryanair but both might choose to add frequency at Bristol instead and Paris it would be Air France but they might not consider Cardiff important enough to operate to and just be happy routing people through Amsterdam. Hopefully we won't have to find out if Cardiff can attract them!
Times like this wish we still had Air Wales around (an organised and profitable version of course). Before BMI baby appeared Air Wales planned to operate both EDI & GLA. They also served BHD, ORK, DUB, JER and no doubt CDG would have fitted in well.

Such a shame about the BE situation.
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 20:52
  #1331 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Cardiff's curse has been not to have that steady based scheduled carrier that doesn't go bust! A lot of doom and gloom elsewhere regarding the airports future but the ironic thing is that the Welsh governments ownership will safeguard Cardiff through any potential rough times ahead. Other airports sadly might not have that safeguard.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 21:34
  #1332 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
Cardiff's curse has been not to have that steady based scheduled carrier that doesn't go bust! A lot of doom and gloom elsewhere regarding the airports future but the ironic thing is that the Welsh governments ownership will safeguard Cardiff through any potential rough times ahead. Other airports sadly might not have that safeguard.
Just wish Air Wales were still operating as the BE destinations would have been ideal fit for their ATR aircraft - let’s just hope the Government offer BE a deal tomorrow.
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 21:43
  #1333 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by Letsflycwl View Post
Just wish Air Wales were still operating as the BE destinations would have been ideal fit for their ATR aircraft - let’s just hope the Government offer BE a deal tomorrow.
Well it's looking hopeful!
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2020, 20:47
  #1334 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 561
As a result of today’s announcement and Government help for Flybe, if or when APD gets scrapped on domestic flights, would CWL benefit from any new internal UK flights?

Would we see the return of LCY, LBA or MAN?

Just a thought after all the goings on today
Letsflycwl is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2020, 04:42
  #1335 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
I doubt we'll see anymore new routes but more if the current ones are more profitable we'll get extra frequencies like say Edinburgh going 4 daily or Belfast back to 2 daily.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:52
  #1336 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
TUI have increased Bourgas to 2 weekly from Cardiff Airport for summer 2020. Flights operate on Mondays and Thursdays.
In total at peak summer TUI will operate 47 weekly flights from Cardiff 44 on 3 based aircraft and 3 with non based aircraft.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 13:40
  #1337 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Just had an email from Flybe about my flight from Cardiff to Aberdeen and they have said that from the 10th February Eastern Airways will suspend their Cardiff to Newcastle flights, for passengers flying to Newcastle it looks like they will be offered alternative flights to Teeside and onward transport to Newcastle, for passengers like me who are flying to Aberdeen it just means the fuel stop will be at Teeside instead of Newcastle.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 14:35
  #1338 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,829
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
TUI have increased Bourgas to 2 weekly from Cardiff Airport for summer 2020. Flights operate on Mondays and Thursdays.
In total at peak summer TUI will operate 47 weekly flights from Cardiff 44 on 3 based aircraft and 3 with non based aircraft.
Given the 737 MAX issues, well aired on the TUI thread one wonders if they actually have equipment in place to operate all these additional services, not just from CWL but across the network. Could be some interesting (from an industry / enthusiast perspective) subchartering and summer leasing, not just from the likes of Sunwing. I imagine it could cause a few issues with disgruntled passengers "taking to" social media.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 14:45
  #1339 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 4DME
Posts: 1,935
Does the Eastern Cardiff Aberdeen aircraft cover the route to RAF Valley.
N707ZS is online now  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 16:25
  #1340 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
Given the 737 MAX issues, well aired on the TUI thread one wonders if they actually have equipment in place to operate all these additional services, not just from CWL but across the network. Could be some interesting (from an industry / enthusiast perspective) subchartering and summer leasing, not just from the likes of Sunwing. I imagine it could cause a few issues with disgruntled passengers "taking to" social media.
From what I've been told the Cardiff base will be 2 Sunwing 738s and 1 TUI 738 and the 2 non based Turkey flights will be operated by Corendon, the non based PMI is still down as TUI so unknown at the moment.
PDXCWL45 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.