Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-2

Old 11th Mar 2020, 17:07
  #2121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 581
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
River joint,
Bad management should be questioned,and there's been many years of bad Management at Southampton.
jobs will be lost because of the short sighted reliance on Flybe
Your continued criticism of contributors who do not agree with your view has become unacceptable,perhaps you should take a step back.

RW20 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 17:57
  #2122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 647
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eastern Value O/W Fares on sale for MME 62 MAN 49 and LBA 92 - quite a disparity - MAN is a jet.
rog747 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 18:32
  #2123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 167
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
It is quite obvious to tell which are the trolls, as they post on both the BOH and SOU threads
Ever thought the guy might be local to BOTH airports? Pretty sure there is no crime on posting in both threads anyway, im sure are posters that post on both Inverness and Aberdeen, or both the Gatwick and Heathrow threads?
Dropoffcharge is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 19:59
  #2124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ireland
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern airways launching BHD-SOU
DUB19 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 20:22
  #2125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southampton, U.K
Posts: 1,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks to be 6 weekly from 23/03 according to their timetable. Timings suggest it is either using the based E145 or E170 between their respective MAN/NCL flights.

Additionally, Eastern's SOU-ABZ is via MME from 27/04, Mon-Thurs.
adfly is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 20:25
  #2126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news for both airports undoubtedly. This will probably sound a teensy bit ungrateful given the events of the last week but I was hoping this might be a route we'd see EZY pick up from BFS, in order to increase capacity and further diversify the airport. Eastern are commiting heavily to SOU which is great to see but if they ever go the same way as Flybe the airport will find itself in a similar situation again. Fingers crossed for EIR, KLM and AFR at some point!
The Nutts Mutts is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:04
  #2127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuts Mutts - Totally agreed. To be honest it just shows that airports have no real power in the selection of airline or route.
Sharklet_321 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:12
  #2128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Nutts Mutts
Good news for both airports undoubtedly. This will probably sound a teensy bit ungrateful given the events of the last week but I was hoping this might be a route we'd see EZY pick up from BFS, in order to increase capacity and further diversify the airport. Eastern are commiting heavily to SOU which is great to see but if they ever go the same way as Flybe the airport will find itself in a similar situation again. Fingers crossed for EIR, KLM and AFR at some point!
I am of the same mind. Saying that, you have to hand it to T3. They are going all in it seems. To be honest as things stand it is them or probably nothing? They are losing the Scatsa oil contract and need to reinvent themselves again. LM have their fingers in far too many pies and EZY can't pull the trigger until the runway is bigger etc. Plus, if EZY ever did move in they would clear every other operator out just as BE did. Not sure that would be a bad thing either, as low cost travel is the best cost model. Fingers crossed AF, KLM, EIR come in to fill the gaps in the meantime though.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:17
  #2129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the Loganair EDI/GLA-SOU schedules it appears that from the 6th July when both routes go 4x daily on the ATR72, one of the aircraft will overnight in SOU. It looks like it operates in from Glasgow arriving at 2130 and nightstops, then goes out at 0650 the following morning to Edinburgh.
The Nutts Mutts is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:32
  #2130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,023
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
EZY can't pull the trigger until the runway is bigger etc
BFS is a lot shorter distance than GVA?

SWBKCB is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:35
  #2131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
BFS is a lot shorter distance than GVA?
Plus I'd imagine there would be a lot less hold baggage too.
The Nutts Mutts is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:48
  #2132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
BFS is a lot shorter distance than GVA?
Its the whole package that is needed to support a base of aircraft of that size. Capable stands, ground equipment, security arrangements, car parking, terminal capacity etc. Feel free to pick any of the GVA flights and even the ones that arrive early probably leave late. I hate to say it but as things stand, SOU can't even seem to handle one Airbus sized aircraft efficiently. I very much doubt EZY would stand for the knock on affects this has to their wider operations. The GVA route is an anomaly, its a seasonal charter route that keeps some aircraft busy in the winter months. I was surprised when SOU only went for planning for the runway to start with, but perhaps as it is the most contentious piece of their plans they don't want the expense of gaining planning for all the other pieces that will be required for EZY to base (stands etc).
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 22:01
  #2133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,023
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Why does it need to be a base? EZY operate loads of domestic flights out of BFS, including to none bases like BHX and IOM.

And if the ground operation is that bad, do you expect KL, AF, and EI to return, runway extension or not?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 22:03
  #2134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For lack of anything better to do this evening, I've been looking at the SOU schedule. I know, right?

If the Flybe demise hadn't happened and things continued as normal, tomorrow would have seen 90 scheduled airline movements (I'll leave the easyJet Geneva out of this number as it only runs for another couple of weeks and I'm looking ahead into the year)

As it stands with the current schedule without Flybe, tomorrow will see 40 scheduled movements. Add in all the flights we know to be coming down the pipeline (Eastern BHD, Loganair NCL, GLA & EDI), and once they're all at their full frequencies the airport will have 66 movements on an average weekday. This obviously doesn't include any further backfill of routes from existing or new carriers, or frequency increases on current routes.

Given the hugely traumatic loss of Flybe and the instant predictions of doom for SOU, I'd say that based on those numbers things definitely don't seem as grim as they perhaps could have been in terms of movement numbers. Passenger figures may tell a different story of course and I'd expect that these will take a very long time to recover, and probably never will unless the runway is extended and an LCC based.

Of course this is planespotter geek talk and of absolutely no comfort to those who have lost their livelihoods in the last week, and isn't meant to be flippant or dismissive of the situation in any way. I just think the numbers show that SOU appears to be making a reasonable start to the post-Flybe future, perhaps better than many would have anticipated.

Last edited by The Nutts Mutts; 11th Mar 2020 at 22:15.
The Nutts Mutts is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 23:10
  #2135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern's first NCL today had 1 passenger out and 2 back. They will need this to build up very quickly indeed to be sustainable as the losses from that kind of adventure rack up fast.
Albert Hall is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 23:15
  #2136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 1000ft above you, giving you the bird!
Posts: 579
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albert Hall
Eastern's first NCL today had 1 passenger out and 2 back. They will need this to build up very quickly indeed to be sustainable as the losses from that kind of adventure rack up fast.
Can we ask how you know that to be factual?
Jetscream 32 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 23:18
  #2137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: london
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint
Its the whole package that is needed to support a base of aircraft of that size. Capable stands, ground equipment, security arrangements, car parking, terminal capacity etc. Feel free to pick any of the GVA flights and even the ones that arrive early probably leave late. I hate to say it but as things stand, SOU can't even seem to handle one Airbus sized aircraft efficiently. I very much doubt EZY would stand for the knock on affects this has to their wider operations. The GVA route is an anomaly, its a seasonal charter route that keeps some aircraft busy in the winter months. I was surprised when SOU only went for planning for the runway to start with, but perhaps as it is the most contentious piece of their plans they don't want the expense of gaining planning for all the other pieces that will be required for EZY to base (stands etc).
Charter? You really are no expert.
darren1 is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 23:31
  #2138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darren1
Charter? You really are no expert.
Well if one misused word is all you could find issue with I guess that does make me an expert (not that I ever claimed to be one). I think the bigger issue at hand is why you have an issue with someone expressing an opinion on a forum? Got nothing constructive to add yourself?
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 06:43
  #2139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 647
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sigh, Runway Extension...That old chestnut LOL
We all wish SOU well after such a car crash of events but the planning application is just that - It is still a bit of paper and likely will stay that way for a quite a while.

In the near term, we know Ryanair will not be coming to SOU.

Easy Jet for now, has stuck to it's winter only GVA SKI route. The aircraft for which originates in GVA.
Although not a ''charter'' it basically caters for holidaymakers, as does the EZY GVA-BOH-GVA too.
(SOU-GVA flights do occasionally have a payload limit)

Right now I cannot see EZY wanting to set up a SOU base as there are simply no routes out of SOU for them to run with a 156/186 seat Airbus.
Yes they can do UK domestic, and near-Europe flights into and out of SOU with their aircraft, without a payload penalty.
If they do not have a SOU base then any EZY flights must be from the originator airport, and that means the first flight out of the day will be later, and may not suit the local Businessman.

I wondered if they may have taken on the Belfast, however EZY operate out of the Belfast International BFS, and not BHD.

EZY cannot take on any MED leisure routes until, as we all know, we have the runway starter strip added.

I know Volotea fly a 156 seat A319 (or an MD-95/717) to/from Palma for TUI Hols but do they have a payload restriction, or face a fuel stop out of SOU?
The S20 Volotea Ibiza was cancelled by TUI.
The TUI Mahon and Verona for Inghams were both lost due to Flybe's collapse.

rog747 is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 08:02
  #2140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 603
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
Sigh, Runway Extension...That old chestnut LOL
We all wish SOU well after such a car crash of events but the planning application is just that - It is still a bit of paper and likely will stay that way for a quite a while.

In the near term, we know Ryanair will not be coming to SOU.

Easy Jet for now, has stuck to it's winter only GVA SKI route. The aircraft for which originates in GVA.
Although not a ''charter'' it basically caters for holidaymakers, as does the EZY GVA-BOH-GVA too.
(SOU-GVA flights do occasionally have a payload limit)

Right now I cannot see EZY wanting to set up a SOU base as there are simply no routes out of SOU for them to run with a 156/186 seat Airbus.
Yes they can do UK domestic, and near-Europe flights into and out of SOU with their aircraft, without a payload penalty.
If they do not have a SOU base then any EZY flights must be from the originator airport, and that means the first flight out of the day will be later, and may not suit the local Businessman.

I wondered if they may have taken on the Belfast, however EZY operate out of the Belfast International BFS, and not BHD.

EZY cannot take on any MED leisure routes until, as we all know, we have the runway starter strip added.

I know Volotea fly a 156 seat A319 (or an MD-95/717) to/from Palma for TUI Hols but do they have a payload restriction, or face a fuel stop out of SOU?
The S20 Volotea Ibiza was cancelled by TUI.
The TUI Mahon and Verona for Inghams were both lost due to Flybe's collapse.
But what would stop easyJet operating to Southampton from their European bases. As the domestic routes have virtually been filled now by Eastern and Loganair I can't see easyJet contemplating competing on those routes.

Although the runway extension is needed at Southampton so that aircraft flying further afield to the Mediterranean airport's can do so without any payload restrictions but those destinations have been flown from Southampton's runway in the past with no real issues except for weather related.

In the past Air Europa B733 and B734, Iberoworld A320's, Spanair A320's, TUI 733/757, Vueling A319 have all used Southampton to fly direct to Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Malaga, Menorca and Palma so why couldn't the likes of easyJet be able to do the same with a A319/A320.

There is obviously the demand within the Southampton catchment area for those destinations.

Obviously in the current climate it would be difficult for airlines to commit to opening up those routes but if it wasn't the case I can't see it being too much of issue. If it wasn't for the current situation I could have least seen a couple of them being resumed from Southampton.

Once everything settles down and there is confidence again amongst the airline's I can see some if not all gradually being reinstated at some point.

Ideally I would like to see easyJet fly to Southampton from Alicante, Barcelona, Faro, Ibiza, Malaga, Menorca, Nice, Palma and they could possibly do that from their respective European bases without the need for a Southampton base, not initially anyway.

As those routes would not be aimed at the business market or those necessarily needing a early departure ex Southampton the timing of the flights and the schedules would be irrelevant.

Hopefully in the next few weeks we will see Dublin reinstated with Aer Lingus Regional and Amsterdam with KLM. With Paris previously being a popular and busy route with Flybe I'm sure that another airline will resume flights at some point and hopefully Air France will make a return.

The French regional routes are probably lost forever which is a shame as Bergerac and Limoges were both popular routes from Southampton.

But all in all we can be pleased with the fact that the likes of Eastern Airways and Loganair have been very quick to backfill the key domestic routes and I have no doubt regardless of the current situation affecting the airline and travel industry that future airlines and routes will be announced from Southampton Airport.

If it wasn't for the current climate I'm sure that we would have had more good news regarding Southampton.
Sotonsean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.