Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Newcastle-9

Old 19th Jun 2019, 13:32
  #1641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about only booking up to mid June, LH don't open their booking horizon open up more than 51 weeks ahead.
Oops! Forgot about that.
TheLambtonWorm is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 13:35
  #1642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 738
Great news. Another big European city on our destination list, and lots of connections to some places in SE Europe for example that we don't currently have connections to.

But...

New airline? Definitely not. New route? Arguable. Why did they feel the need to say that it was? They didn't need to; the 'new' route is enough of an attention-grabber. As has been said, the PR folks at NCL 'have form' on this. Corporate culture is an interest of mine, and there seems to be one of dishonesty here.
jensdad is online now  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 13:50
  #1643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,426
New airline? Definitely not. New route? Arguable
Surely a matter of opinion? Do LH currently operate from NCL? No - so they are a new airline. Does anybody currently operate to MUC from NCL? No - so it's a new route.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 13:57
  #1644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 13
Not really arguable... not a new route or a new airline. Returning would have been better wording.
L66MBD is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 14:02
  #1645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 738
Fair points SWB, but it's the implication - as I said previously there's a thin line between 'spin' and dishonesty. A company I used to work for used to insist that they obeyed not just the letter of the law, but the spirit of it too, and there's a lack of that kind of thinking here. I remember quite a while ago a guy who worked for the airport being interviewed in a 'lifestyle' magazine, saying that the new route to Copenhagen (SAS) made it easier than ever for him for him to get home, when Easyjet had just stopped flying there (more cheaply) a few weeks previously. I thought then that there was a problem in the culture there, and subsequent announcements about 'new routes' to Bourgas etc. (we must have imagined those Balkan Tu154 and BH A320's every year since about 1982 then? ) have reinforced my opinion. Maybe I'm looking too deeply here - as I say it's an area of interest of mine - but I do believe that this stuff matters.

Anyway, the bigger picture is good news about MUC
jensdad is online now  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 14:05
  #1646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,426
So Norwich aren't a newly promoted team in the Premier League, then? And being picky, don't think the previous LH flights were LH mainline but Lufthansa Cityline or the such like
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 14:38
  #1647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,322
Originally Posted by Jamesair View Post
I think it was FALCON900 who told us about the slots being requested for this route months ago . He also mentioned OSLO and BERGEN with Loganair, so hopefully more good news to come. The Munich route was also on Wikipedia Munich Airport site for ages before it was deleted.

Well done to all concerned.
Oslo is still showing on there booking system, when selected 4 destination appear NCL is one of them..However no dates as yet available to book. Maybe a announcement is due soon.

Screenshot from LM website
BAladdy is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 15:18
  #1648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 631
Good addition and one I would use at least once to see Munich itself. Times good as well.
I would have to look further into the options to see if I would use it as a hub.
ash666 is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 16:46
  #1649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 140
Oslo on Loganair has been on their booking page since the launch of ABZ. However they have scrapped flights between ABZ and OSL so is now blank.
NorthEasterner is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 17:10
  #1650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 815
Whats the reason for the taxiway being closed this afternoon ? Aircraft taxiing up the runway with a backtrack on to 25.
LiamNCL is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 22:14
  #1651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Jamesair View Post
I think it was FALCON900 who told us about the slots being requested for this route months ago . He also mentioned OSLO and BERGEN with Loganair, so hopefully more good news to come. The Munich route was also on Wikipedia Munich Airport site for ages before it was deleted.

Well done to all concerned.
Ha, I forgot I had mentioned anything on here. I was under the impression the route was completely canned, I didn't really put 2&2 together. We just thought it was some new route that slots hadn't been requested for yet. Also we've heard nothing more for OSL and BGO. I assume they're still in the pipeline.
Falcon900LX is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 23:38
  #1652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 44
Lufthansa Munich

The most important route announcement since Emirates to DXB in 2007 in my opinion. Munich opens up not only the whole of southern Germany for both business and leisure but the Austrian Alps and Eastern Switzerland so skiers/boarders/walkers/climbers and mountain bikers can easily explore resorts such as Kitzbühel, Mayrehofen, Soll, Saalbach and so many more. Skiing in Austria is far better and cheaper than France with great infrastructure, fantastic mountain restaurants and apres ski. I gave up on the hell hole that is GVA years back as it’s just chaos on weekends in winter. Been travelling from EDI and MAN to MUC for a few years now so saves the two hour drive and extortionate parking fees. The LH terminal at MUC is very slick with great shops and restaurants and very calm. Great onward connections too. This route cannot fail in my opinion. Well done to all involved in securing this.
chris1001 is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 01:25
  #1653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 845
Originally Posted by chris1001 View Post
The most important route announcement since Emirates to DXB in 2007 in my opinion. Munich opens up not only the whole of southern Germany for both business and leisure but the Austrian Alps and Eastern Switzerland so skiers/boarders/walkers/climbers and mountain bikers can easily explore resorts such as Kitzbühel, Mayrehofen, Soll, Saalbach and so many more. Skiing in Austria is far better and cheaper than France with great infrastructure, fantastic mountain restaurants and apres ski. I gave up on the hell hole that is GVA years back as it’s just chaos on weekends in winter. Been travelling from EDI and MAN to MUC for a few years now so saves the two hour drive and extortionate parking fees. The LH terminal at MUC is very slick with great shops and restaurants and very calm. Great onward connections too. This route cannot fail in my opinion. Well done to all involved in securing this.
Not to mention attracting inbound tourism either directly from Germany or via the Munich hub.
PDXCWL45 is online now  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 09:26
  #1654 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE ENGLAND
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by chris1001 View Post
... Munich opens up not only the whole of southern Germany for both business and leisure but the Austrian Alps and Eastern Switzerland so skiers/boarders/walkers/climbers and mountain bikers can easily explore resorts such as Kitzbühel, Mayrehofen, Soll, Saalbach and so many more. Skiing in Austria is far better and cheaper than France with great infrastructure, fantastic mountain restaurants and apres ski. I gave up on the hell hole that is GVA years back as it’s just chaos on weekends in winter. ...
This service isn't going to survive on those skiers that prefer MUC to GVA, which in winter has had an EZY 4 or 5 times weekly service for "n" years at prices down to 50% of those being marketed by LH.
You also need to get real that skiing is less than 50% of the year, a number of IT companies have marketed the Tyrol as a summer destination, one has to assume it's lack of growth / success undermines any argument for mega numbers for at least "outbound" tourism.
I hope this service proves popular & is a success, unfortunately whatever way I look at, I have my concerns.
skyman771 is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 09:36
  #1655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 631
If I was still skiing I would much prefer MUN to GVA which is absolute chaos.
ash666 is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:22
  #1656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 49
Posts: 986
Originally Posted by chris1001 View Post
This route cannot fail
Bold for NCL...
Originally Posted by skyman771 View Post
unfortunately whatever way I look at, I have my concerns.
Agree

VickersVicount is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:27
  #1657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,790
Originally Posted by VickersVicount View Post

Bold for NCL...

Agree

Good to see the usual negativity from yourself
GrahamK is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 12:09
  #1658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 202
Here are the annual passenger numbers on the NCL-MUC route for the past 30 years. Not sure who ran a service in 2005 when 14,190 pax flew but to put that number into context, last year 38,259 people flew NCL-DUS.

1989: 0
1990: 84
1991: 0
1992: 0
1993: 129
1994: 0
1995: 0
1996: 2011
1997: 471
1998: 568
1999: 0
2000: 0
2001: 0
2002: 0
2003: 0
2004: 0
2005: 14190
2006: 0
2007: 0
2008: 0
2009: 0
2010: 86
2011: 0
2012: 341
2013: 0
2014: 484
2015: 0
2016: 289
2017: 287
2018: 283
tigertanaka is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 12:19
  #1659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE ENGLAND
Posts: 936
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
Here are the annual passenger numbers on the NCL-MUC route for the past 30 years. Not sure who ran a service in 2005 when 14,190 pax flew but to put that number into context, last year 38,259 people flew NCL-DUS.

1989: 0
1990: 84
1991: 0
1992: 0
1993: 129
1994: 0
1995: 0
1996: 2011
1997: 471
1998: 568
1999: 0
2000: 0
2001: 0
2002: 0
2003: 0
2004: 0
2005: 14190
2006: 0
2007: 0
2008: 0
2009: 0
2010: 86
2011: 0
2012: 341
2013: 0
2014: 484
2015: 0
2016: 289
2017: 287
2018: 283
so ur saying what ? In context how many seats are LH to offer on an annual basis?
skyman771 is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 12:55
  #1660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 49
Posts: 986
Suggestion its initially daily then 6d for summer?
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-feb-2020/
VickersVicount is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.