Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Newcastle-9

Old 31st Aug 2020, 20:42
  #2641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,465
Originally Posted by GBYAJ View Post
agreed.

without wanting to stoke up, theyíre a business trying to make profit etc it seems a very tokanist move to shut NCL at this time. Crew claim they were told it was profitable, it canít be performing any worse than everywhere else and unless the aircraft are leaving the fleet (they may be, donít know) the saving will appear to be marginal. Except next year when the exceptional items (base closures) are shown in the accounts and makes underlying performance better than it actually was.

but this is easyJet who if I remember correctly moved ncl based aircraft to bfs at short notice to complete with a new operator there and were then
beaten into the ground by Jet2 at Ncl, they never appeared to be the dominant low cost carrier that they claimed to be....

Just my opionin, and for what itís worth canít see the mayor and MME ending well either (just look at how leadership at the conservative run Northumberland council is unravelling)!!
At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???

The signs have been there for years, last base to lose the 737, reduction in based units, a base of sunshine and domestic routes, but city destinations run for a couple of years and get dropped - basically the small customer base for these destinations has been their, and so time to move on...

What's the difference - look at the income levels of the respective catchment areas.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2020, 21:03
  #2642 (permalink)  

Brunel to Concorde
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virtute et Industria, et Sumorsaete Ealle
Posts: 2,256
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???
BRS was due to have 18 based easyJet aircraft this summer: 10 x A320, 6 x A319, 2 x A321 with nearly 80 easyJet routes albeit some seasonal. The pandemic quickly put paid to that though.

The obvious potential danger to BRS is the over-reliance on easyJet which carried over 50% of its 9 million annual passengers pre-COVID. Today 29 of BRS's 48 airline departures were easyJet (48 is about 45% of the airport's normal programme this time of the year) which is broadly in line with August as a whole.

MerchantVenturer is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2020, 21:06
  #2643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
At one stage NCL ran neck to neck with BRS as an EZY base, similar size, similar range of routes - now NCL is shut, and BRS is how many ???

The signs have been there for years, last base to lose the 737, reduction in based units, a base of sunshine and domestic routes, but city destinations run for a couple of years and get dropped - basically the small customer base for these destinations has been their, and so time to move on...

What's the difference - look at the income levels of the respective catchment areas.
while I agree to a certain extent I donít think itís that cut and dry. There is money up here just not as much!

at NCL in the early days high frequency domestic routes (STN, BRS and BFS) worked well with the favourite Med destinations. Start cutting back the domestic and letting Jet2 (and thomsonfly I think with the 737-300) beat them on the Med routes and it all went pear shaped.

I remember flying to Prague with EZY from
NCL and was surprised how full the plane was and how many business travellers there were. On the other hand went to BUD and it was only half full wit xmas market shoppers. So based on this extensive research I think without being an expert there are routes that will work from ncl and those that wonít. I think they tried too many that wouldnít. Used to fly to all three domestics and every flight was full. I Think ezy moved from being low cost which NCL punters originally embraced and then the airport and
customers didnít fit with it.
GBYAJ is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2020, 21:07
  #2644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,465
Originally Posted by MerchantVenturer View Post
BRS was due to have 18 based easyJet aircraft this summer: 10 x A320, 6 x A319, 2 x A321 with nearly 80 easyJet routes albeit some seasonal. The pandemic quickly put paid to that though.

The obvious potential danger to BRS is the over-reliance on easyJet which carried over 50% of its 9 million annual passengers pre-COVID. Today 29 of BRS's 48 airline departures were easyJet (48 is about 45% of the airport's normal programme this time of the year) which is broadly in line with August as a whole.
Think we'd swop you that problem, MV!
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 12:53
  #2645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 886
Jet2 much better airline for its customers and employees, hopefully expansion will come when things return to normality to pick up some of easyJets routes.
LiamNCL is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 13:22
  #2646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by GBYAJ View Post
while I agree to a certain extent I donít think itís that cut and dry. There is money up here just not as much!

at NCL in the early days high frequency domestic routes (STN, BRS and BFS) worked well with the favourite Med destinations. Start cutting back the domestic and letting Jet2 (and thomsonfly I think with the 737-300) beat them on the Med routes and it all went pear shaped.

I remember flying to Prague with EZY from
NCL and was surprised how full the plane was and how many business travellers there were. On the other hand went to BUD and it was only half full wit xmas market shoppers. So based on this extensive research I think without being an expert there are routes that will work from ncl and those that wonít. I think they tried too many that wouldnít. Used to fly to all three domestics and every flight was full. I Think ezy moved from being low cost which NCL punters originally embraced and then the airport and
customers didnít fit with it.
I remember the head-scratching when EZY pulled the constantly full Prague route, which I used myself as well.
ash666 is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 23:15
  #2647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,400
BA cutting LHR service to 20 x Weekly (3 x Daily Wednesday to Monday 2 flights of Tuesdays) for winter season
BAladdy is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 06:25
  #2648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by BAladdy View Post
BA cutting LHR service to 20 x Weekly (3 x Daily Wednesday to Monday 2 flights of Tuesdays) for winter season
technically an increase from now though if there is a positive. Doesnít appear to be a flight today.

until working from home switches to getting back to the office there will be little business travel. Unfortunately a lot of firms (mine included) have realised how much of the travel budget was not necessary spending so will be reluctant to approve business trips by train or plane to London etc.
GBYAJ is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 06:29
  #2649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 886
Originally Posted by GBYAJ View Post
technically an increase from now though if there is a positive. Doesnít appear to be a flight today.

until working from home switches to getting back to the office there will be little business travel. Unfortunately a lot of firms (mine included) have realised how much of the travel budget was not necessary spending so will be reluctant to approve business trips by train or plane to London etc.
Not to forget the onward travel via LHR is basically non existant.

LiamNCL is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 09:01
  #2650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 47
Nice to see JET2 adding flights - extra Saturday flight added to the NCL to CFU route from 19th September for the final month of the season, picking up where Easyjet have deserted the airport. Meaning JET2 are now up to 3 a week on this route.

The last seat on the BA NCL to LHR flight last night was going for £633 one way.
milhouse999 is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:12
  #2651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,510
wasn't king's cross closed for engineering all weekend?
inOban is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2020, 11:15
  #2652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: London
Posts: 27
There are still difficulties this morning at Kings Cross....signalling problems causing delays
Jamesair1 is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 20:40
  #2653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: London
Posts: 0
Loganair launching Aberdeen-Newcastle-Newquay from 29 March 2021 - initially 2x weekly flights before increasing to 3x weekly flights from 30 June 2021. Saturday and Sunday rotations NCL-NQY-NCL will be added (no ABZ tag) from 22 May 2020

SeanM1997 is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 22:16
  #2654 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,855
BA lounge apparently being closed permanently. One wonders how long the LHR route will last at all...
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 00:06
  #2655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 856
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe View Post
BA lounge apparently being closed permanently. One wonders how long the LHR route will last at all...
Is that 'permanently' or 'indefinitely'? With the low number of flights at present, I can see sense in the latter. If the former, then maybe a little ominous. But, strange times and all that.
jensdad is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 00:26
  #2656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Durham
Age: 73
Posts: 134
Judging by posts on Flyertalk and BA staff on there, itís a permanent closure.

More expected but disappointing cost cutting. Imagine theyíll sign a deal with Aspire if things get back up and running.
JKKne is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 12:32
  #2657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,400
LM’s S21 schedule is now on sale through until the end of August 2021. LM are currently planning to operate:

Aberdeen - up to 17 x Weekly
Bergen - 3 x Weekly (Wed/Fri/Sun) from 31st March
Exeter - 8 x Weekly (2 flight op on a Friday)
Newquay - Between 2 and 5 x Weekly
Southampton - 17 x Weekly (3 x Daily Mon-Fri and Daily Sat/Sun)
Stavanger - 5 x Weekly (Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri/Sun)

GCI - No direct flights are currently on sale. However LM are offering up to 2 flights a day to GCI via SOU through there codeshare with Blue Island.
BAladdy is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 14:14
  #2658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: London
Posts: 27
I'm surprised they are not taking up the vacant Jersey route next summer.....maybe its one for their partner...Blue Island.
Jamesair1 is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 17:37
  #2659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,400
Originally Posted by Jamesair1 View Post
I'm surprised they are not taking up the vacant Jersey route next summer.....maybe its one for their partner...Blue Island.
Loganair are selling flight to JER involving a connection at either EXT or SOU through Blue Island codeshare agreement.
BAladdy is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2020, 19:02
  #2660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,829
Originally Posted by Jamesair1 View Post
I'm surprised they are not taking up the vacant Jersey route next summer.....maybe its one for their partner...Blue Island.

Maybe Jet2 but think aircraft maybe too big.
hopefully if things improve before next summer we see loganair base another aircraft or could we see Eastern or Stobart with there ATR on the Jersey
HH6702 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:29.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.