Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-2

Old 15th Aug 2018, 19:56
  #1901 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 723
Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
The terminal at SEN is currently 11,900sqm and the extension will bring this up to 15,506sqm. The first floor, which comprises the security hall, Skylife lounge, offices etc. will remain at 3,527sqm but the ground floor will increase in size by 43% to 11,979sqm. In effect the existing immigration hall will be incorporated into the departure hall, where additional gates will be opened. The existing baggage reclaim will become the new immigration hall and a new baggage reclaim hall will be added. That's something of an over-simplification but may help in visualising what is planned.
That's impressive detail, Expressflight. Are you project managing the construction?
DC3 Dave is online now  
Old 15th Aug 2018, 21:56
  #1902 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 70
Posts: 2,102
Happily not.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2018, 23:00
  #1903 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 1 mile north of 26
Posts: 6,631
Quick calculation on an expanded Southend using Expressflight figures. When Southend reaches 3,058,000 passengers the airport will be as overcrowded at LTN.
LTNman is online now  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 13:15
  #1904 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 36
Posts: 820
Some more Stobart schedule changes.

Budapest appears to end on 5th Jan, Prague and Vienna on 13th Jan.

A random selection of DUB and MAN flights have been taken out during Jan, Groningen loses the morning flight from Christmas to mid-Feb and Lyon and Cologne lose midweek flights during that period.

Glasgow is still on sale at the high price but until January there doesn’t appear to be any capacity available to operate it in the morning.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 13:30
  #1905 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 719
Looks like the problematic G-FBEF is broken again in Dublin and the return flight to SEN was replaced by an ATR, which then positioned back empty thus more delays for the rest of the day. Pity because for the past three days the arrivals/departures board looked very nice with all flights on schedule.
update 1945 .EF is now on it's way back to SEN

Last edited by tophat27dt; 16th Aug 2018 at 19:54.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 21:30
  #1906 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Westcliff-on-Sea
Age: 73
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by tophat27dt View Post
Looks like the problematic G-FBEF is broken again in Dublin and the return flight to SEN was replaced by an ATR, which then positioned back empty thus more delays for the rest of the day. Pity because for the past three days the arrivals/departures board looked very nice with all flights on schedule.
update 1945 .EF is now on it's way back to SEN
According to FR24 FBEF is back in Southend; landed about an hour ago from Dublin. Wonder what went wrong this time!
SEN Observer is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 07:12
  #1907 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 719
Now it's Air Maltas turn. Their flight returned to Malta this morning presumably with a technical problem.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 08:09
  #1908 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by tophat27dt View Post
Looks like the problematic G-FBEF is broken again in Dublin and the return flight to SEN was replaced by an ATR, which then positioned back empty thus more delays for the rest of the day. Pity because for the past three days the arrivals/departures board looked very nice with all flights on schedule.
update 1945 .EF is now on it's way back to SEN
When was its last CofA? Secondly, who's been used by them to carry out the recent previous maintenance work?
mik3bravo is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 13:31
  #1909 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: southend
Age: 64
Posts: 69
It's just gone tech again!
runwayman is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 14:06
  #1910 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by runwayman View Post
It's just gone tech again!
Cant they send it back and insist on another one?
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 14:52
  #1911 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
It's quite unbelievable how these tech issues are reoccurring time and time again. The tech issues have single handily destroyed the routes the a/c type is meant to serve. I can't get my head around how Stobart seem willing to carry on with this stop-go-stop a/c reliability. Shoving those bloody ATR's on those routes to pick up the pain is madness. It's actually now utterly ridiculous.
Who is maintaining these airframes and when is the CofA next up? Something isn't right. Is this now becoming a IAA/CAA potential matter?
mik3bravo is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 15:03
  #1912 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cheshire
Age: 39
Posts: 207
Terminal expansion approved and will be ready for next year along with the runway upgrades and runway will be grooved also.
rowly6339 is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 15:15
  #1913 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by rowly6339 View Post
Terminal expansion approved and will be ready for next year along with the runway upgrades and runway will be grooved also.
Good news on the terminal extension. Flew into SEN yesterday afternoon, the only arrival on the ramp yet baggage took half an hour to appear on the belt - and the priority tagged items came out last. Stobart Handling need to up their game especially now that a larger terminal is on its way.
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 15:17
  #1914 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave View Post
As an avid reader and admirer of your posts, asdf1234, I have to ask are you becoming a convert to the Stobart way, or are you just a big softie at heart, with your business nous sweep aside with the emotion generated by a dying airport's truly miraculous renaissance?
DC3 Dave, I applaud the risk that Stobart took in running their own airline from their own airport in a bid to prove routes. The big boys took notice and are now coming in to run the routes themselves. Hopefully Stobart did not give too much away in the form of incentives as they had already de-risked the route proposals.
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 15:24
  #1915 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave View Post
Not me, but if you look on the website it's now highlighted and it appears to have been "tarted up" Give us your view if you try. I'm flying from SEN last week August and am interested in giving it a go.
The lounge didn't look any different from the last time I was in there so I gave it a miss. Given that the terminal was minus a plane load of passengers due to the cancelled Malaga flight I opted for Bourgee. Perfectly ok for a drink or two and the staff were better trained than the school leavers I had the misfortune to be served by previously.
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 15:42
  #1916 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 723
Thanks. As the flight departs 1020 I'll be good and stick to Costa.
DC3 Dave is online now  
Old 18th Aug 2018, 08:23
  #1917 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by mik3bravo View Post
It's quite unbelievable how these tech issues are reoccurring time and time again. The tech issues have single handily destroyed the routes the a/c type is meant to serve. I can't get my head around how Stobart seem willing to carry on with this stop-go-stop a/c reliability. Shoving those bloody ATR's on those routes to pick up the pain is madness. It's actually now utterly ridiculous.
Who is maintaining these airframes and when is the CofA next up? Something isn't right. Is this now becoming a IAA/CAA potential matter?
I certainly agree this machine with it's technical issues which nobody seems to be able to fix permanently is ruining their reputation. EF flew in from Prague at 2300 and seems broken again this morning delaying the Dublin flight outward by 4 hours. Is this aircraft leased (I do get confused) and why can it not be returned to FlyBe and replaced?
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2018, 08:37
  #1918 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by tophat27dt View Post
I certainly agree this machine with it's technical issues which nobody seems to be able to fix permanently is ruining their reputation. EF flew in from Prague at 2300 and seems broken again this morning delaying the Dublin flight outward by 4 hours. Is this aircraft leased (I do get confused) and why can it not be returned to FlyBe and replaced?
At least a couple of these ex-Flybe E195s caused regular major headaches and disruption whilst with Flybe too, in particular EF.
G-FBEJ is another that has been notorious in the past, but of course she is still with Flybe and also seems to have improved with the dispatch reliability significantly this year. I will never understand how or why Stobart chose to lease / purchase these airframes knowing their history. Surely with the amount of problems they have been facing with them an organisation might soon step in? CAA? Even Embraer themselves surely must be keeping a close eye on the reliability of this fleet and hopefully coming up with some kind of solution? There's very clearly some major issues to address. It's a real shame how much Stobart have allowed these problems to effect both theirs and the Flybe brand image from Southend...

Last edited by Cazza_fly; 18th Aug 2018 at 14:10.
Cazza_fly is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2018, 13:53
  #1919 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Cazza_fly View Post
At least a couple of these ex-Flybe E195s caused regular major headaches and distuption whilst with Flybe too, in particular EF. G-FBEJ has been notorious in the past, but of course she is still with Flybe at the minute and also seems to have improved the dispatch reliability significantly this year. I will never understand how or why Stobart chose to lease / purchase these airframes knowing their history. Surely with this amount of problems they have been facing with them an organisation will soon be stepping in? CAA? Even Embraer themselves surely must be keeping a close eye on it and hopefully coming up with some kind of solution? There's very clearly some issues. It's a real shame how much Stobart have allowed these problems to effect both theirs and the Flybe brand image from Southend.
What is a concern is the high frequency of technical problems with these aircraft registrations in particular.

Is it a fundamental underlying fault or series of related faults? Or, is it a maintenance quality issue? How can we be sure pax safety integrity is not at risk from potential faults which may be missed? Is this not becoming a matter for authorities to step in and question the maintenance checks and logs? Something is not right if the high frequency of tech issues are persistently occurring to this level of frequency, it is not typical.
mik3bravo is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2018, 14:58
  #1920 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by mik3bravo View Post
What is a concern is the high frequency of technical problems with these aircraft registrations in particular.

Is it a fundamental underlying fault or series of related faults? Or, is it a maintenance quality issue? How can we be sure pax safety integrity is not at risk from potential faults which may be missed? Is this not becoming a matter for authorities to step in and question the maintenance checks and logs? Something is not right if the high frequency of tech issues are persistently occurring to this level of frequency, it is not typical.
EF was recently sent to the Embraear maintenance unit in Lisbon to have it's list of defects rectified. Clearly even they couldn't fix it. I heard previously that something "trips out" and has to be reset all the time, but not sure if this same fault is the problem now. When I used to dry lease in light aircraft for my flying club to cope with demand during the summer months, if I found later one was a bad apple in the basket, it was sent back and replaced by another aircraft. This question I asked about the Embraear but I guess nobody knows for sure the lease agreement terms. Plus there is a question of compensation. Can StobartAir claim this when chartering in replacement aircraft, or having to transfer pax to different airports?
tophat27dt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.