Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-2

Old 10th May 2019, 16:54
  #2981 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,740
French ATC, Yesterday’s evening easyJet, FAO - SEN U27634, is running over 24hrs late.
the latest friends are being told is a 2200 departure tonight, they were told 1600.
However they did get put up in a luxury 5***** hotel.
daz211 is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 17:13
  #2982 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 641
Regarding EU 261 if a passenger is given airline compensation and hotels/meals does the airline STILL need to pay out the full EU261 pay-put for delayed flights over 3hrs???
shamrock7seal is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 17:43
  #2983 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,740
Yes as long as the delay is within the airlines control.
In the case of French Air Traffic control strikes, No compensation is due as it is out of the airlines control.
im not sure about my friend flight above,they are being told it’s Due to ATC strikes in France, But a +24hr delay can’t be wholly due to ATC.
daz211 is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 18:13
  #2984 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 641
Yes i can imagine some airlines would try to bend the truth as much as possible!
shamrock7seal is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 18:24
  #2985 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 777
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post
Yes as long as the delay is within the airlines control.
In the case of French Air Traffic control strikes, No compensation is due as it is out of the airlines control.
im not sure about my friend flight above,they are being told itís Due to ATC strikes in France, But a +24hr delay canít be wholly due to ATC.
An extra 4 hours delay was added because of the crews hours.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 09:10
  #2986 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 878
The inaugural ABZ - SEN is scheduled to arrive at 1500. With Glasgow and Stornoway to follow shortly and possibly more later in the year.

Loganair - Scotland's Airline

London Southend -. Scotland's Airport
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 10:02
  #2987 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,790
Im yet to be convinced by the convenience of 'London' Southend, but depends I suppose on your ultimate London locale. For me, central London is really only convenient with HEX via LHR or via LCY.
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 22:07
  #2988 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe View Post
Im yet to be convinced by the convenience of 'London' Southend, but depends I suppose on your ultimate London locale. For me, central London is really only convenient with HEX via LHR or via LCY.
Getting from Southend Airport to its rail station is far easier than getting to the platforms at Heathrow. The rail fare is far lower, and you get to Liverpool Street which is arguably a more central station than Paddington.

With Loganair including luggage in their fare (and they need to shout that from the rooftops) I hope these routes are a success.
SealinkBF is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 23:07
  #2989 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GLASGOW
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by SealinkBF View Post
Getting from Southend Airport to its rail station is far easier than getting to the platforms at Heathrow. The rail fare is far lower, and you get to Liverpool Street which is arguably a more central station than Paddington.

With Loganair including luggage in their fare (and they need to shout that from the rooftops) I hope these routes are a success.
Yet to try Southend but I agree, Heathrow is good for connecting flights, not getting to Central London. Unless I go to on client near Paddington Iíd sooner LCY or GTW (Thamselink to Farringdon). Happily add Southend to Stratford for Central/Jubilee or Liverpool Street to the mix. Clan Loganair points earned through work travel also fills the hole left by no Avios redemptions!

does anyone know what the hand baggage size is like on the E145? Quite like walking off and and out and not hanging about for a bag for an overnight trip (however free it might be).
ifu05596 is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 23:26
  #2990 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,092
Originally Posted by SealinkBF View Post
Getting from Southend Airport to its rail station is far easier than getting to the platforms at Heathrow. The rail fare is far lower, and you get to Liverpool Street which is arguably a more central station than Paddington.
.
Somewhat selective information. Dedicated non stop service vs multi stopping commuter train that takes twice as long if not longer. Smaller Southend does make plane to train easy though.
LTNman is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 06:53
  #2991 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,694
25 min wait from joining the security queue to being able to put a bag on the conveyor belt on an ordinary weekday morning; security staff announcing a further 30 min wait to have a bag checked manually for liquids; and just 2 out of 4 X-ray machines in use.

I understand that this is probably the peak but time waiting in a security queue is time not spent in the shops. Perhaps worth hiring some more staff for the morning shift
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 07:04
  #2992 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by ifu05596 View Post
does anyone know what the hand baggage size is like on the E145? Quite like walking off and and out and not hanging about for a bag for an overnight trip (however free it might be).
Not sure about a formal requirement but at GLA Iíve seen them take what look like EZY/FR size cases off the aircraft and leave them at the steps when you disembark. What Iím not sure is whether they are formally checked in, or carried left at the aircraft by pax.
AirportPlanner1 is online now  
Old 13th May 2019, 07:32
  #2993 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Westcliff-on-Sea
Age: 74
Posts: 285
Train Services

Don't forget there is a full line closure between Wickford and Southend Victoria for 9 days from Saturday 25th May to Sunday 2nd June; no trains whatsoever. Buses between Wickford and Southend and a reduced train service from Wickford to Liverpool Street. c2c from Fenchurch Street fully operational throughout the period so at least you can get to and from Southend Central then a short bus or taxi ride.
SEN Observer is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 08:02
  #2994 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GLASGOW
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by SEN Observer View Post
Don't forget there is a full line closure between Wickford and Southend Victoria for 9 days from Saturday 25th May to Sunday 2nd June; no trains whatsoever. Buses between Wickford and Southend and a reduced train service from Wickford to Liverpool Street. c2c from Fenchurch Street fully operational throughout the period so at least you can get to and from Southend Central then a short bus or taxi ride.
That doesnít sound like great timing for the Glasgow/Stornoway service launch on 28th, Iím sure that will get the wrong kind of tweets!
ifu05596 is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 08:45
  #2995 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Diss, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 View Post


Not sure about a formal requirement but at GLA Iíve seen them take what look like EZY/FR size cases off the aircraft and leave them at the steps when you disembark. What Iím not sure is whether they are formally checked in, or carried left at the aircraft by pax.
You leave them at the aircraft steps on boarding, and collect them as you get off at the bottom of the steps if to large for the cabin
NickBarnes is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 09:07
  #2996 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by ifu05596 View Post
That doesnít sound like great timing for the Glasgow/Stornoway service launch on 28th, Iím sure that will get the wrong kind of tweets!
If SEN want to limit the inconvenience and bad publicity they will run a dedicated coach service between Wickford and SEN during that period, taking about 25 minutes compared to the rail replacement bus, calling at Rayleigh, Hockley and Rochford, planned to take 56 minutes.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 09:42
  #2997 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 62
Posts: 283
Sounds like SEN is a now victim of its own success - No longer the quick and easy airport to swan through with ease if the security Q's are 30+ minutes.

Only 2 out of the 4 x-ray machines working for the 6am rush? Ludicrous...How many based 186/189 seat jets are now at SEN that all leave at the same times - 7 or 8 is it?

As another poster mentions that means no time to spend ££ in the DF shops and the bars/cafes.

The Owners of SEN need to quickly step up their workforce to ensure this matter is addressed PDQ.

If they don't and these delays continue, and remember we are not anywhere near the high season as yet, then loyal pax will simply drift away and not use SEN.
rog747 is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 09:59
  #2998 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: U.K.
Posts: 394
Stobart are advertising recruitment of a new Head of Security for SEN, closing date for applicants May 31. The Vacancy Notice appears to have been issued about two weeks ago.
Tagron is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 12:33
  #2999 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 777
Originally Posted by Tagron View Post
Stobart are advertising recruitment of a new Head of Security for SEN, closing date for applicants May 31. The Vacancy Notice appears to have been issued about two weeks ago.
Whilst each department needs a competent chief, it's the XRay machines and staff that are needed immediately. Why delay things until a new security chief starts. The Airport CEO should sort out the problem before then.
tophat27dt is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 13:28
  #3000 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 878
Originally Posted by Tagron View Post
Stobart are advertising recruitment of a new Head of Security for SEN, closing date for applicants May 31. The Vacancy Notice appears to have been issued about two weeks ago.
Also advertising for security officers, full and part time, with the same closing date. Experience not essential.

Here's the list of current vacancies on the airport website.

https://southendairport.com/about/careers
DC3 Dave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.