Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

Belfast International-2

Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Belfast International-2

Old 22nd Sep 2019, 10:45
  #2141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by West Brit View Post
Fair point Blackfriar. I mean an airport is like a railway station for planes. It's a place where you commence or terminate a journey by plane. It's not a spa resort hotel. All airports IMO are an unpleasant experience. The whole flying experience IMO is not great. A good airport would be one where you pass through with minimum of delay or inconvenience, nothing whatsoever to do with the Architecture. I would rather travel through a dump if my flight was on time, than be delayed for 10 mins in an architectural master piece.
Exactly. Aldergrove would be a fantastic experience if it wasn't for the 6 million others using it!
Danmadole is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 11:27
  #2142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by GAZMO View Post


I believe there is a free drop off at the long stay car park. If Iím incorrect Iím sure someone will amend

£1 is a fair price for drop off compared to other UK airports. Imagine the chaos if there was no charge
Yeah, chaos like at BHD, for example.
kildress is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 12:18
  #2143 (permalink)  
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TOD
Posts: 1,081
It is not merely aesthetics, ugly though they are - it is a question of design and functionality. For example the insufficient security hall capacity, having to queue in the stairwells to board, the long queues up to the Gate 10-14 area where you can have 700 people trying to fit into the same area as a tennis court. There are far better designs out there that allow for passengers to be scanned through the gate and then to wait in relative comfort prior to swiftly boarding across the ramp - think Schipol or the satellite stands in Lyon. If there is redevelopment I hope the airport closely works with Jet2, easyJet and Ryanair to deliver a design which works for the way BFS is actually used.
speedrestriction is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 12:25
  #2144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Belfast
Age: 36
Posts: 239

Blackfriar

To set some context my experiences of BFS are leaving ~6-7AM during the morning rush, leaving ~5-6PM during evening rush and generally arriving home mid-late evening. In that context I imagine our experiences in BFS are somewhat different. eg. The inverse of your journey, Iíve done Thursday night 8pm departure from BRS to BFS with enough regularity understand how busy it is. It is bad but not BFS bad.

My views are based on the entire experience from front door to bum on seat in aircraft. To say this is the nature of 21st century flying isnít 100% correct. It is correct to say that about loco hubs, though.

Let me tone down and describe IMO in one word what comes to mind when I now think of BFS; uncivilised.

Itís not a one off experience which makes me write scathing comments as I did above. The inconsistency of service is the biggest bug for me and that is not hard to fix. Eg. Last week we spent 15 minutes in the priority security queue while the standard queues were flying. My OHís bag was pinged for a search at security, it sat for almost 5 minutes before someone even acknowledged it and told her, ďOh sorry I sent it there by accidentĒ

ĒHeadphone wearing ******s and drunken holiday makersĒ are what contribute to me calling it carnage and a dump. Add to the being shoved in a stairwell 10 minutes before my plane has even arrived with said ******s all adds to worsen the experience. Rude and obnoxious are words that regularly enter my head as I travel through BFS. The reasonable response to that is if I donít like it go elsewhere. My answer is, when I have a reasonable choice, I do. I vote with my feet u less I have no other sensible alternative.

I guess my point is, if BFS and Vinci are actually serious about attracting non-locoís (rather than just blowing smoke up shareholders backsides) they need to first sort out their **** .

Iím not asking for a shiny new terminal just an improvement on what is currently there and that doesnít require a rebuild, perhaps a redesign. I enter BFS with low expectations and yet the experience still regularly disappoints. I dislike airports today therefore have paid ways to get through them as quickly as possible and to sit in a quiet space away from the craziness. It is an occupational hazard for me so I take action where I can to avail of services which make my travel a bit more bearable. But, BFS canít even deliver on these services consistently and thatís what they need to sort out if they think there is even a small chance of attracting a premium carrier.

eg. Tomorrow I have a pre 7AM flight from BHD. I know exactly when I need to get out of bed in order to make my flight without unnecessarily losing additional sleep. I know that after arriving at drop off, I can almost certainly expect to walk from car to lounge in 10 minutes, max. If I had the same from BFS, I simply have to make sure I add a lot more additional travel time for delays that occur due to inconsistency, as a regular work traveller time and consistency are what matters to me. This is therefore what shapes my view of the airports I visit.
EGAC is Better is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 12:44
  #2145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better View Post

Blackfriar

To set some context my experiences of BFS are leaving ~6-7AM during the morning rush, leaving ~5-6PM during evening rush and generally arriving home mid-late evening. In that context I imagine our experiences in BFS are somewhat different. eg. The inverse of your journey, Iíve done Thursday night 8pm departure from BRS to BFS with enough regularity understand how busy it is. It is bad but not BFS bad.

My views are based on the entire experience from front door to bum on seat in aircraft. To say this is the nature of 21st century flying isnít 100% correct. It is correct to say that about loco hubs, though.

Let me tone down and describe IMO in one word what comes to mind when I now think of BFS; uncivilised.

Itís not a one off experience which makes me write scathing comments as I did above. The inconsistency of service is the biggest bug for me and that is not hard to fix. Eg. Last week we spent 15 minutes in the priority security queue while the standard queues were flying. My OHís bag was pinged for a search at security, it sat for almost 5 minutes before someone even acknowledged it and told her, ďOh sorry I sent it there by accidentĒ

ĒHeadphone wearing ******s and drunken holiday makersĒ are what contribute to me calling it carnage and a dump. Add to the being shoved in a stairwell 10 minutes before my plane has even arrived with said ******s all adds to worsen the experience. Rude and obnoxious are words that regularly enter my head as I travel through BFS. The reasonable response to that is if I donít like it go elsewhere. My answer is, when I have a reasonable choice, I do. I vote with my feet u less I have no other sensible alternative.

I guess my point is, if BFS and Vinci are actually serious about attracting non-locoís (rather than just blowing smoke up shareholders backsides) they need to first sort out their **** .

Iím not asking for a shiny new terminal just an improvement on what is currently there and that doesnít require a rebuild, perhaps a redesign. I enter BFS with low expectations and yet the experience still regularly disappoints. I dislike airports today therefore have paid ways to get through them as quickly as possible and to sit in a quiet space away from the craziness. It is an occupational hazard for me so I take action where I can to avail of services which make my travel a bit more bearable. But, BFS canít even deliver on these services consistently and thatís what they need to sort out if they think there is even a small chance of attracting a premium carrier.

eg. Tomorrow I have a pre 7AM flight from BHD. I know exactly when I need to get out of bed in order to make my flight without unnecessarily losing additional sleep. I know that after arriving at drop off, I can almost certainly expect to walk from car to lounge in 10 minutes, max. If I had the same from BFS, I simply have to make sure I add a lot more additional travel time for delays that occur due to inconsistency, as a regular work traveller time and consistency are what matters to me. This is therefore what shapes my view of the airports I visit.
you must have to leave long before the flight then old chap, for the sydenham bypass is absolute carnage every, yes every morning between the hours of 05-1900 every weekday, bfs needs an up to date dual carrigeway, the long overdue railway spur off of it and terminal revamp, along with passenger walkways to aircraft, ps the passengers down the stairs are a LOCO thing to facilitate a quick turn, nothing to do with the airport, though a few windows and a-c would be nice lol
2Para is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 17:08
  #2146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Belfast
Age: 36
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by 2Para View Post
you must have to leave long before the flight then old chap, for the sydenham bypass is absolute carnage every, yes every morning between the hours of 05-1900 every weekday, bfs needs an up to date dual carrigeway, the long overdue railway spur off of it and terminal revamp, along with passenger walkways to aircraft, ps the passengers down the stairs are a LOCO thing to facilitate a quick turn, nothing to do with the airport, though a few windows and a-c would be nice lol
Like most roads around Belfast, the Sydenham bypass is easy at 0530, at least it has been most weeks this year on a Monday or Tuesday morning.

Iím not so agreeable that the stairs is a loco thing. As touched on in a post above, this could be fixed by having proper waiting areas where passengers can be penned in, secured and sat down after boarding passes are scanned. Send us on the stairs when the aircraft is ready to board and not a minute before. Thatís an airport layout issue.
EGAC is Better is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 17:56
  #2147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by 2Para View Post
you must have to leave long before the flight then old chap, for the sydenham bypass is absolute carnage every, yes every morning between the hours of 05-1900 every weekday, bfs needs an up to date dual carrigeway, the long overdue railway spur off of it and terminal revamp, along with passenger walkways to aircraft, ps the passengers down the stairs are a LOCO thing to facilitate a quick turn, nothing to do with the airport, though a few windows and a-c would be nice lol
That certainly does not reflect my experience of Sydenham By-pass.
05-1900? You're joking!
I'm there 3-5 times a week at various times of day and have, of course, seen congestion at peak times but that is easily avoidable with flexibility (admittedly not available to all).
kildress is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 06:05
  #2148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Belfast
Age: 36
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better View Post


Like most roads around Belfast, the Sydenham bypass is easy at 0530, at least it has been most weeks this year on a Monday or Tuesday morning.
As a data point 2Para, home to lounge 18 minutes. Drop off zone at BHD to lounge in 7 minutes.

No delays anywhere, straight onto a belt with my trays as soon as I arrived. Peak time on a Monday morning. BFS should take note thatís how fast track should work.
EGAC is Better is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 09:21
  #2149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Belfast
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better View Post


As a data point 2Para, home to lounge 18 minutes. Drop off zone at BHD to lounge in 7 minutes.

No delays anywhere, straight onto a belt with my trays as soon as I arrived. Peak time on a Monday morning. BFS should take note thatís how fast track should work.
CONFIRMED
City centre to City Airport this morning 12 min !
Startledgrapefruit is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 09:41
  #2150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by Startledgrapefruit View Post
CONFIRMED
City centre to City Airport this morning 12 min !
There should be very little traffic going toward the city airport in the morning, so should be quick . Besides, there is a train too, so the bus could be avoided at peak times where traffic going your way is heavy.

On a separate note, BHD is very notable as an example of a city with an airport very close to the city centre, the other notable examples this side if the Atlantic are Gotenburg and London City..
EI-BUD is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 14:55
  #2151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny spain
Posts: 737
Anyone know who and what will be operating repat flights into BFS for Thomas Cook?

its a sad time for aviation in NI.
Ryanair base gone
TCX base gone
and ASL base at BHD also gone

hopefully someone will see the demand from NI to help bring jobs back and see the huge gap in the market
BHD2BFS is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 15:35
  #2152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 288
Next summers holypops are going to be expensive from Belfast next year. Competition slowly being eroded away
Alteagod is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 15:37
  #2153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IoM & Luton
Age: 55
Posts: 1,677
Originally Posted by BHD2BFS View Post
Anyone know who and what will be operating repat flights into BFS for Thomas Cook?


https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/custome...y-destination/ shows what is running now and planned so far.
pabely is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 22:04
  #2154 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ireland
Posts: 27
I wonder if any if Jet2 or TUI will take over any off the Thomas Cook routes. There is definitely now room for a fifth aircraft from Jet2 or potentially a second from TUI based at BFS. The demand is there, lets just hope the airlines are willing to cater for it.
DUB19 is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 22:26
  #2155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Antrim
Posts: 1,452
Originally Posted by DUB19 View Post
I wonder if any if Jet2 or TUI will take over any off the Thomas Cook routes. There is definitely now room for a fifth aircraft from Jet2 or potentially a second from TUI based at BFS. The demand is there, lets just hope the airlines are willing to cater for it.
Truth be told I'd imagine it's a dream come true for the airlines remaining on sunshine routes out of BFS. In a matter of weeks FR cut back, EI away and TCX. Time to make money. I would hope some extra capacity would be made available but I can imagine it not being.
​​
mart901 is online now  
Old 24th Sep 2019, 07:25
  #2156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 223
I am pretty sure Wizz will be evaluating the situation across the UK. A based aircraft at several regional centres for starters would increase their presence and familiarity. At Belfast for example, one based aircraft could serve 1 daily flight to a Canary Island plus a European city. Budapest 2 week, Rome 2 week, madrid..... a year round staple operation.
West Brit is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2019, 09:47
  #2157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by West Brit View Post
I am pretty sure Wizz will be evaluating the situation across the UK. A based aircraft at several regional centres for starters would increase their presence and familiarity. At Belfast for example, one based aircraft could serve 1 daily flight to a Canary Island plus a European city. Budapest 2 week, Rome 2 week, madrid..... a year round staple operation.
West Brit,
So Ryanair have virtually exited the market (granted a lack of new ac issue, but ostensibly we can infer that low yield as its been scaled back in favour of more fruitful pastures), Aer Lingus have axed their 2 sun routes and you feel that this would be an attractive opportunity for Wizz?
The most suitable candidate to scale up is Jet2. An extra unit is completely plausable, however, all airlines will be looking at the wider opportunities in the UK, I.e. MAN, GLA, LGW etc. So that could pose a challenge in adding capacity, pity about Aer Lingus' timing.
​​​​
EI-BUD is offline  
Old 24th Sep 2019, 10:17
  #2158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by EI-BUD View Post
West Brit,
So Ryanair have virtually exited the market (granted a lack of new ac issue, but ostensibly we can infer that low yield as its been scaled back in favour of more fruitful pastures), Aer Lingus have axed their 2 sun routes and you feel that this would be an attractive opportunity for Wizz?
The most suitable candidate to scale up is Jet2. An extra unit is completely plausable, however, all airlines will be looking at the wider opportunities in the UK, I.e. MAN, GLA, LGW etc. So that could pose a challenge in adding capacity, pity about Aer Lingus' timing.
​​​​
I would say that Jet2 will place additional aircraft to MAN, GLA, NCL before BFS.
Ryanair are having a wee winter rest.
A based aircraft for a sunshine operation doesn't work at BHD - too constrained. I would say that is why they have vacated. For instance there was a late arrival last week diverted in BFS, I don't know how many times this has happened. The costs involved must wipe any profit on that flight. The knock on effect was nearly a 2 hour delay to the flight the next morning.
These cancelled flights will be picked up by current Belfast operators. They don't want all the seats just the cream. Maybe they would operate a W pattern into BHD originating in BFS but more costly to do so why bother.
West Brit is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2019, 00:04
  #2159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,327
Ryanair - Summer 2020

Milan, Stansted and Manchester loaded into system at twice weekly for all three.
BFS BHD is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2019, 06:00
  #2160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Antrim
Posts: 1,452
Originally Posted by EI-BUD View Post
West Brit,
So Ryanair have virtually exited the market (granted a lack of new ac issue, but ostensibly we can infer that low yield as its been scaled back in favour of more fruitful pastures), Aer Lingus have axed their 2 sun routes and you feel that this would be an attractive opportunity for Wizz?
The most suitable candidate to scale up is Jet2. An extra unit is completely plausable, however, all airlines will be looking at the wider opportunities in the UK, I.e. MAN, GLA, LGW etc. So that could pose a challenge in adding capacity, pity about Aer Lingus' timing.
​​​​
Well I'd have said that Wizz was a totally random suggestion but the same day that was posted they announced LTN-TFS, totally new territory for them, albeit LTN is now a base rather than a virtual base.
mart901 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.