Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Airlines, Airports & Routes
Reload this Page >

DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6

Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6

Old 31st May 2016, 20:24
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
A bit unfair on the Gazette - the story title is actually positive ("key asset"), with the negative aspect being in the body of the story.

HWU has a point - little sign of any movement on the housing (no planning permission yet?), which was meant to found the rest of the development. Meanwhile there seems to have been plenty of other housing developments approved in the surrounding area.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2016, 11:50
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Yorkshire
Age: 31
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by highwideandugly
Not sure where to go from here..the housing was supposed to provide cash for investment..tell me where are we with that development?
Where are we with ANY meaningful development?
Homes plan submitted for land at Durham Tees Valley Airport (From The Northern Echo)

Answer your question?

Very positive stuff.
Cautious Optimist is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2016, 14:59
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: on the border line
Posts: 67
At last

Bit early in the day for you to post CO,you must be excited!!

At last some positive news regarding development and investment.

Make a note of the date,how long will it take our glorious councils to reach agreement on the planning issues??
Guaranteeing continuity of business for 5 possibly 10 years,not sure what that statement actually tells us?
highwideandugly is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2016, 18:26
  #964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England
Posts: 13
How many people actually want to buy a house near a busy airport? Cue no change in the airport volume or closure completely.

Is it not time we face facts, the airport no longer has a catchment significant enough to provide a commercial base. It is better off as a skydive/instruction/training/ private facility.

I know I've stuck my head above the parapet, but I find it unlikely anything will change.
jamesgrainge is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2016, 19:59
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
I would imagine that constant skydive/instruction/training/private activity will be more irritating for house owners than any level of airline activity that MME has seen. I think the size of car park gives an indication of the passenger ambitions.

Was that local services centre there in the Masterplan diagrams - thought that was all going in the terminal building?
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2016, 20:09
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 4DME
Posts: 1,782
Think the show room has changed place with local services.
N707ZS is online now  
Old 7th Jun 2016, 07:30
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
I would imagine that constant skydive/instruction/training/private activity will be more irritating for house owners than any level of airline activity that MME has seen. I think the size of car park gives an indication of the passenger ambitions.

Was that local services centre there in the Masterplan diagrams - thought that was all going in the terminal building?
A buzzing vs two Rolls Royce Trent shaking the roof? Having lived under an RAF flight area I will take the gentle buzzing of a Cessna thanks.

I share your hopefulness, however, do you not think that there would have been a take off for this airport had it been worthy. How many people want to/can fly from Teesside?

Face facts, I went to Amsterdam last week from Manchester, why? Because it was £250 each from DTV or £100 each from MCN.

Does TNT even land cargo into DTV?
jamesgrainge is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2016, 15:34
  #968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
A constant buzzing vs
occasionally
two Rolls Royce Trents? The frequency of the disturbance is just as important as the volume, particularly as the buzzing is going to increase just when you want to be outside/have your windows open.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2016, 21:28
  #969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 4DME
Posts: 1,782
Bit of Teesside history from the local rag!

Muhammad Ali once made this (brief) appearance on Teesside soil - Gazette Live
N707ZS is online now  
Old 8th Jun 2016, 14:53
  #970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
A constant buzzing vs two Rolls Royce Trents? The frequency of the disturbance is just as important as the volume, particularly as the buzzing is going to increase just when you want to be outside/have your windows open.
So basically you are agreeing that there will be no increase in aircraft frequency.
Kinda supports my comments...
jamesgrainge is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2016, 22:53
  #971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Teesside
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by MMCMME View Post
Absolutely fantastic day. Better than anticipated.
Next years should be a corker now the guys know what to expect and what to improve on.
Quite surprised no one has posted this yet , 2017 Skylive Airshow date confirmed as Saturday 27 May ;


Date revealed for next year's Skylive airshow at Durham Tees Valley Airport (From The Northern Echo)
and
Skylive airshow 2017 date announced after thousands attend this year's show - Gazette Live
David Thompson is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2016, 12:10
  #972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: England, UK
Age: 55
Posts: 467
For a development company they've proved pretty incompetent at actually developing anything over the years - the link road is now on hold!
Robert-Ryan is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2016, 17:07
  #973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Robert-Ryan View Post
For a development company they've proved pretty incompetent at actually developing anything over the years - the link road is now on hold!
That's because the airport will not be developed in any way.
jamesgrainge is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2016, 10:02
  #974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Teesside
Posts: 190
A couple of updates from KLM.

F70 retirement is being brought forward to October 2017. Winter and early summer timetables are now uploaded and so far it would appear we're scheduled to see the F70 throughout. Looks like we'll be one of the last to transfer to the new Embraer.
P330 is online now  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 13:13
  #975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Yorkshire
Age: 31
Posts: 162
Q&A with Durham Tees Valley Airport boss on holiday flights, housing and 'facing reality' - Gazette Live

A superb article, about time Peel communicated with the public a bit more! Can't really argue with Mr Hough's answers, very clear and concise.

The Northern Echo is running a similar article, also very positive until the end when they mention the hate-mongers over at STA.
Cautious Optimist is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 15:21
  #976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
Can't really argue with Mr Hough's answers, very clear and concise
I'd argue with these...

Some people would argue that demand was there and the airport was run down to a point where the holiday flights went. How do you respond to that?

That is categorically wrong. We would certainly always follow opportunities from an airline wishing to engage with this airport. The demand fell and therefore the airlines felt unable to continue with those routes....

....Then the recession came and first of all, bmibaby and Fly Globespan and other operators here, they withdrew for the reasons I have just explained. That is the last thing we want to see happen because airports are driven successfully by volumes and if you donít get the volume you donít succeed....
Thomson and Balkan Holidays didn't discontinue their routes
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 15:53
  #977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Yorkshire
Age: 31
Posts: 162
That has been discussed conclusively on here multiple times before and no doubt will be again, but he briefly discusses that in the below paragraph, albeit vaguely:

Is there a wish to become a holiday passenger airport again?
If the commercial opportunity were to arise in terms of interest from an airline with a clear demand from the public and the companies in the area for a route then the answer would be yes.
Edit: After reading the bit you quoted again, it seems the answer to your argument is in the paragraph you quoted when he mentions about needing flights in volumes.
Cautious Optimist is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 17:59
  #978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
A superb article, about time Peel communicated with the public a bit more! Can't really argue with Mr Hough's answers, very clear and concise.
OK - lets be blunt. One of the central points made by Mr Hough is b*llocks.

He says there are no holiday flights from DTVA because
The demand fell and therefore the airlines felt unable to continue with those routes....
That isn't true. Both Thomson and Balkan had introduced new services when they were told to go, so how do you get volume by kicking out key customers?

It might be that the airport had "done a Blackpool" and signed contracts which meant they couldn't make money but that isn't the airlines fault, and it is wrong to say there are no flights because the airlines withdrew.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 19:57
  #979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: on the border line
Posts: 67
A super article??

Oh dear..we have heard it all a million times before..CO..which way did you vote...maybe?
I know,I Will as always be shouted down by your good self and one or two others..but the recent Britex vote will make it all the more difficult for DTV ( and others)both in aviation and hosing outlook.
highwideandugly is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2016, 22:03
  #980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE ENGLAND
Posts: 931
Mr Hough
Seven or eight years ago they were handling 120*-seat aircraft. Aircraft have grown bigger in recent years and puts pressure therefore on the smaller airports.

So thats it ! That's what we have all missed for so long, tour operators introduced larger aircraft onto previously successful routes & as such they failed !???
Perhaps someone would care to enlarge sic on this moot point. To me it simply doesn't make sense.
What it does reflect is a statement of no confidence in the Teesside public, then what follows is a negativity or unwillingness to promote routes.

What is interesting is that if at the end of 5 years from the earlier agreement date, then things are not to Peel's satisfaction,or whatever they may be, then potentially it's curtains !
skyman771 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.