Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

DONCASTER SHEFFIELD

Old 25th Jul 2017, 20:57
  #1181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Doncaster
Age: 46
Posts: 152
Originally Posted by johnnychips View Post
Remember when the Romanian lions came on a Jet2 plane?
Yup. Sometimes hear then roaring at night. Freaks the dog right out!
davidjpowell is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2017, 22:22
  #1182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Darkest Lincs
Posts: 467
Not sure why a wild life park has any bearing (!)on DNS. It's not as if thousands of tourists are going to fly into Bawtry to see a couple of giraffes and a zebra.
wowzz is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2017, 09:30
  #1183 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Doncaster
Age: 37
Posts: 346
Originally Posted by davidjpowell View Post
Going off track, but not sure why. Yes there will be some more jobs. No doubt on minimum wage Zero hour contracts like most of their staff. The staff don't like rainy days. Half of them get sent home with no pay.

Otherwise they drive in they drive out. Currently they clog up the local roads, and all of the fumes sink down the hill to our garden seating area on a hot sunny weekend when the roads don't cope.
A game changer in terms of raising the profile of the area.

The 50 million being spent will make it one of the top attractions in the North of England.
TimmyW is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2017, 10:38
  #1184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: sheffield
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by wowzz View Post
Not sure why a wild life park has any bearing (!)on DNS. It's not as if thousands of tourists are going to fly into Bawtry to see a couple of giraffes and a zebra.
Aukley / DSA,

I don't think anyone is saying that the proposed YWP expansion will entice more people to fly into DSA. But it will make the area busier and increase the need for better roads and public transport links.
Barnstable is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2017, 09:07
  #1185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham
Age: 75
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by Barnstable View Post
Aukley / DSA,

I don't think anyone is saying that the proposed YWP expansion will entice more people to fly into DSA. But it will make the area busier and increase the need for better roads and public transport links.
There's always the railway that runs past the end of the runway, surely that would work.
oldart is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:32
  #1186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: sheffield
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by oldart View Post
There's always the railway that runs past the end of the runway, surely that would work.
For the wildlife park possibly, but not for the airport. Building new stations is expensive, especially with requirements for disabled access. This is one of the reasons there are not more stops on the Sheffield train-tram.

A shuttle bus would still be needed, and there aren't many trains using that line at all.
Barnstable is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2017, 22:56
  #1187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Doncaster
Age: 59
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by Barnstable View Post
For the wildlife park possibly, but not for the airport. Building new stations is expensive, especially with requirements for disabled access. This is one of the reasons there are not more stops on the Sheffield train-tram.

A shuttle bus would still be needed, and there aren't many trains using that line at all.
The new Stagecoach bus from Sheffield is proposed though details aren't available yet.

Any rail service from Sheffield would have to cross the East Coast Main Line in Doncaster station somehow and that would presently be an operational nightmare. In any case, there just aren't the numbers using the airport to justify this.
johnnychips is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2017, 23:33
  #1188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,269
Any train from Sheffield would have to reverse in Doncaster, but would not have to cross the ECML 'on the flat' . There are lines S from Doncaster which cross the main lines by a bridge.

As an independent in this discussion, unlikely to use either airport, I would say that the market will decide.

Clearly, no-one would now build an airport where LBA is; but many other UK airports are also in the wrong place - BRS, LHR...

DSA seems, from what I have read, to have created a viable freight business exploiting its long runway.

Several posters have stated that many people prefer using DSA. If so, operators will launch more services.

At some point, the big decision will face the owners: do they invest in much more substantial terminal facilities.

The tipping point would be if a major player moved in.
inOban is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.