Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Accidents and Close Calls
Reload this Page >

Banner towing aircraft ditches into the sea, one rescued.

Accidents and Close Calls Discussion on accidents, close calls, and other unplanned aviation events, so we can learn from them, and be better pilots ourselves.

Banner towing aircraft ditches into the sea, one rescued.

Old 22nd Jul 2022, 23:20
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 25,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banner towing aircraft ditches into the sea, one rescued.

Glad they are safe, I would imagine the banner would be a heck of a braking effect when it went into the water


https://heysocal.com/2022/07/22/plan...erson-rescued/
NutLoose is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 00:32
  #2 (permalink)  
txl
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berlin
Age: 54
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I got it on video" seems to be the first thing people care about these days.
txl is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 08:20
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: LHBS
Posts: 281
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
I would imagine the banner would be a heck of a braking effect when it went into the water
In general probably true, yet in this case the banner hardly touched the water by the time the tow plane ditched with high vertical speed, no flare.

n a related note, can anyone guess, why the banner was not released prior to the ditching? Getting rid of the extra drag could have given the aircraft more energy left for a proper flare before the ditching.

rnzoli is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 09:53
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 25,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They were all trainee lifeguards taking part in a competition, handy place to ditch.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/world-news/fb6...f36ef5a7d1b5c/
NutLoose is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 10:15
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: EHEH
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txl View Post
"I got it on video" seems to be the first thing people care about these days.
Always handy for the investigators in fact!

As for releasing the banner comments: Often these banner towing activities over the sea take place relatively low. Could be that the pilot had little time to react between "wtf" and splash.
FUMR is offline  
Old 24th Jul 2022, 07:40
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: LHBS
Posts: 281
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FUMR View Post
As for releasing the banner comments: Often these banner towing activities over the sea take place relatively low. Could be that the pilot had little time to react between "wtf" and splash.
Yeah, that's true. I am probably biased by knowing that glider tugs must be really quick in releasing a glider, if it starts to climb too high behind them and lifting the tug's tail, risking the tow plane descend into the ground at low altitude.
But these banner towing operations are not only at low level constantly, but also boring as hell, so when the WTF moment happens, mobilizing congnitive power is harder than in the glider tugs, where the pilots know their kill zones in advance and better anticipate WTF happening to them.
rnzoli is offline  
Old 24th Jul 2022, 13:37
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Here, there, and everywhere
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnzoli View Post
Yeah, that's true. I am probably biased by knowing that glider tugs must be really quick in releasing a glider, if it starts to climb too high behind them and lifting the tug's tail, risking the tow plane descend into the ground at low altitude.
But these banner towing operations are not only at low level constantly, but also boring as hell, so when the WTF moment happens, mobilizing congnitive power is harder than in the glider tugs, where the pilots know their kill zones in advance and better anticipate WTF happening to them.
Having towed gliders, I was fortunate to never have any issues such as the tail being lifted. But if it were to happen, it would seem that instinct would be to initially pull aft on the control stick. One might instinctively start using the other hand to assist instead of pulling the release. It is good to perhaps review procedere/simulated scenario prior to first tow of the day.

In addition, once the tow rope is released the strong nose-up elevator input might lead to a rapid pitch up and stall.

It would be interesting to hear the experience of a tow pilot that decided to release a glider due to the glider getting too high.
punkalouver is online now  
Old 24th Jul 2022, 13:56
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 220
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkalouver View Post
It would be interesting to hear the experience of a tow pilot that decided to release a glider due to the glider getting too high.
I had a Standard Cirrus pitch up and turn away without confirming release. Cirrus CG hook back released before I got my hand to the handle. I also went to the funeral of a young tow pilot who was killed by a glider pilot who got high early in the tow.

Don't assume you will be fast enough to release. Also be aware that the hook commonly used in USA will not release when loaded by a kiting glider.
EXDAC is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.