Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Accidents and Close Calls
Reload this Page >

Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island

Accidents and Close Calls Discussion on accidents, close calls, and other unplanned aviation events, so we can learn from them, and be better pilots ourselves.

Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island

Old 18th Aug 2019, 18:14
  #2001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: north of barlu
Posts: 6,157
Double Barrel

If you use a single number in court you have to be precisely correct, if you use a confidence range the chances of it getting pulled apart by some smart lawyer are much reduced.
A and C is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 18:47
  #2002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hotel Sheets, Downtown Plunketville
Age: 72
Posts: 687
Considerations regarding ownership of the aircraft involve the reasons behind the choice for N registration for an aircraft based and operating in the EU. Here is an extract from am article published in Avbuyer, https://www.avbuyer.com/articles/ga-...n-trust-112085

"3. Non-US citizens may find it difficult to register their private aircraft in their home country.

The FAA has very favorable maintenance and registration requirements, and they are known for being supportive and understanding of private aviation. Some countries, however, have aircraft requirements that focus on the operations of commercial airliners. Their rules and regulations can be very onerous and burdensome to private aircraft owners. For this reason, owners may choose to register their aircraft outside of their home country. For example, in our interview with client Roger Harr, Roger pointed out that he was one of the first Cirrus owners in Europe. He bought his Cirrus before it was approved for purchase by EASA (the European Aviation Safety Agency), and the only way he could own and operate his new plane was to register it in the United States. Owners who live in countries with similar limitations on GA aircraft, may create a trust so that they can register their aircraft with the FAA in the United States."

Which then acutely aggravates the all too important question that has now arisen ,given the CAA report regarding the finding of high levels of CO on the remains of the passenger. What does very favourable, supportive and understanding mean. With the B737 MAX fiasco still unresolved, and today another big article about it in the Sunday Times, does it not perhaps cast more dark shadows over the FAA and our regulators in their role of guardians of public safety.
Chronus is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 19:37
  #2003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
What does very favourable, supportive and understanding mean. With the B737 MAX fiasco still unresolved, and today another big article about it in the Sunday Times, does it not perhaps cast more dark shadows over the FAA and our regulators in their role of guardians of public safety.
An FAA registered aircraft with a standard type certificate requires periodic inspection by an airframe and power plant mechanic with Inspection Authorization. That inspection is required at least once every 12 calendar months but may also be needed after 100 hours if that occurs first. What does, or does not, pass inspection is completely up to the IA performing the inspection. There is a huge range of "tolerance" for minor imperfections. I doubt any aircraft would ever pass inspection if every tiny discrepancy was grounds for failure.

My IA has also given my recent flight reviews. He signs off my airplane and he is prepared to fly in it. That's good enough for me.

The condition of a privately owned aircraft has little to do with FAA oversight or their concern with public safety.

Last edited by EXDAC; 19th Aug 2019 at 02:38. Reason: Correct AI to IA
EXDAC is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 10:37
  #2004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Central UK
Posts: 278
A forty year old aircraft that FAA records apparently show has had no previous owners before the present shady one?
Despite being an aircraft that is alleged to have changed hands four times in one day? Four times? What possible reason can there be for that if not to cover up or obfuscate ownership and accountability?
An aircraft whose apparent owners' and close associates' addresses are all empty properties?
An aircraft involved in an fatal accident whose owner does not make themselves known?
An aircraft flown by an unlicenced pilot who appears to have identified himself at the airport of departure as someone else?

Never mind the entire operating environment surrounding the damn thing viz the whole business of football/racing charters, shady 'football managers' acting as charter brokers, maintenance organisations who have walked away from it etc.

To suggest this isn't an utter Pandora's Box of illegality from end to end is somewhat far-fetched, imo.

meleagertoo is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 14:11
  #2005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by MPN11 View Post
The 2 empty properties associated with the Keelys being used as a Registered Address adds a certain air of mystery! Dark forces at play here, methinks.
As Terence Keely is dead, it would have been extremely surprising if he had been in residence when the Daily Mail called at his mansion.

Last edited by runway30; 19th Aug 2019 at 14:40.
runway30 is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 14:27
  #2006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by Sir Niall Dementia View Post


No it doesnít. The whole flight was illegal, CO poisoning doesnít let anybody off the hook, from the statement by the engineer/airfield owner things may be even worse. An illegal flight in an aircraft that may have been known to have airworthiness problems. I truly hope that someone goes to prison for a very long time.

Illegal CAT still goes on despite this sorry mess, reporting it achieves bugger all. This was a high profile accident, I know of at least 2 others, one with no injuries, one where just the pilot died. Hopefully Salaís death may help shine a light on all the cowboys who think that what they do is acceptable practice.

SND
SND, whilst I could see the causal link between the death and hiring an unqualified pilot if the unqualified pilot lost control because the flight was way beyond his abilities, I can't see the causal link between hiring the unqualified pilot and death due to CO poisoning unless your allegation is that a qualified pilot would have identified the leak before death occurred or are you suggesting that the Aircraft Manager knew of the CO leak and allowed the flight to take place anyway or that he was so negligent in the maintenance of the aircraft that an accident was likely to occur?
runway30 is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 17:24
  #2007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,764
Flags of convenience are fine until something goes wrong.

In this case it would be a miracle if the insurers pay out.

N reg allows a lot of latitude in terms of where the buck stops.

Added to the complicated registration/ trust scenario is a the fact that the USA allows UK based based aircraft to be registered via a tiny company in East Anglia. In most cases these aircraft will never again see the USA.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

Which is fine and dandy until we see a multi million pound accident such as this one.

Who oversaw who in this tragic timeline?

Pretty much no one.

There is plenty of evidence out there that the aircraft was producing revenue for the beneficiaries of trust by transporting jockys to racecourses as well as the work it undertook with Cardiff City Football Club’s agent. No one rents their investment for nothing.

All of this grey charter work was outside the control of the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

UK road legislation only permits foreign cars to a maximum of twelve months before they have to be registered as being home based. That stops the scam of uninsured and no MOT cars being used here. A UK resident cannot use a foreign car unless they are based on the continent. (Soon to change with Brexit)

These days most global shipping is registered in countries such as Panama and Liberia so that the crewing and operations are able to exploit cheap labour and lax regulation.

Many defend the N register for private aircraft owners as it allows an easier route to aircraft modifications and flying rules. Add to that the fact it is also cheaper.

I hope this accident will close the N reg lark in the UK for good and bring regulatory powers over all UK based aircraft back under the wing of the CAA.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 19th Aug 2019 at 17:34.
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 17:30
  #2008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: north of barlu
Posts: 6,157
The reason for the legal requirements of flying public transport are to put in place the checks and balances that assure to the greatest degree posable that an accident wonít happen and this costs a considerable amount of money.

The reason for illegal public transport is to do things on the cheap by ignoring the rules put in place for safety.

This case illustrates perfectly the result of such practices and it matters not the particular holes in the Swiss cheese that aligned to create the inevitable result.
A and C is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 17:43
  #2009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,764
Agreed A and C.

The reason for the difficult exam (the knowledge) London black cab drivers have to pass is they play by a clearly defined set of rules.

On the other side of the fence are the minicabs and Ubers who are the Arthur Daleys of the taxi world.

Few checks or regulation means you get what you pay for but these people sadly undermine the legal operators business model.

If I was running an AOC operation I would be extremely angry to see cowboy pilots flying N reg aircraft on illegal charters that cannot be stopped by the CAA?




Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 17:57
  #2010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 74
Posts: 5,223
Originally Posted by runway30 View Post
As Terence Keely is dead, it would have been extremely surprising if he had been in residence when the Daily Mail called at his mansion.
Apologies ... I confused myself with mention of the Ďuntraced sisterí.
MPN11 is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 18:47
  #2011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hotel Sheets, Downtown Plunketville
Age: 72
Posts: 687
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn View Post
Flags of convenience are fine until something goes wrong.

In this case it would be a miracle if the insurers pay out.

N reg allows a lot of latitude in terms of where the buck stops.

Added to the complicated registration/ trust scenario is a the fact that the USA allows UK based based aircraft to be registered via a tiny company in East Anglia. In most cases these aircraft will never again see the USA.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

Which is fine and dandy until we see a multi million pound accident such as this one.

Who oversaw who in this tragic timeline?

Pretty much no one.

There is plenty of evidence out there that the aircraft was producing revenue for the beneficiaries of trust by transporting jockys to racecourses as well as the work it undertook with Cardiff City Football Clubís agent. No one rents their investment for nothing.

All of this grey charter work was outside the control of the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

UK road legislation only permits foreign cars to a maximum of twelve months before they have to be registered as being home based. That stops the scam of uninsured and no MOT cars being used here. A UK resident cannot use a foreign car unless they are based on the continent. (Soon to change with Brexit)

These days most global shipping is registered in countries such as Panama and Liberia so that the crewing and operations are able to exploit cheap labour and lax regulation.

Many defend the N register for private aircraft owners as it allows an easier route to aircraft modifications and flying rules. Add to that the fact it is also cheaper.

I hope this accident will close the N reg lark in the UK for good and bring regulatory powers over all UK based aircraft back under the wing of the CAA.
Yes all that said above makes sense.
A typical scenario might go like this.
Sir/ Madam of UK company is doing well in business and fancies increasing social standing score and gets a PPL. Has a little chat with tame bean counter as to best way to make it tax efficient Bean counter says, well we`ve got to have a good look and s sorry about mentioning that dirty word, but we must have a good look and see about VAT. W`ve also got to show some revenue from it in the books and in case you decide to pull plug on company best it be owned by a trust, so no tax man and bailiff can get their filthy mitts on it Sir/Mam. Off goes Sir/Mam to find a chap around the club who knows about these things and hey presto here is the ideal solution , a N reg job registered to a US trust corporation.
Now who would have thought some half wit would have lent the damn thing to another half wit who then let another mate borrow it who in turn it gave the keys to a heating engineer could fix its central heating as he was so keen on flying anyway and the whole lot ended up in a terrific mess. The whole thing is just so incredible, how can anyone blame such Sirs and Mams for such a string of unforseeable and unfortunate events, M`Lud.
Chronus is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 19:12
  #2012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,764
This is a bit like renting a car.

You don’t know or care where the likes of Hertz,Sixt,Eurocar etc are based for tax or other reasons.

Everything is fine until it all goes wrong.

Trusts,limited companies etc all provide separation to allow the person who might be carrying the can to avoid liability.

However if there are people in the middle not wise enough to think about the bigger picture they can lose everything.

As I said earlier there are some complicated legal cases on the horizon in this one and
the matter of the FAA register,the CAA regulator , trusts and insurance companies are going to be a key issue.
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 19:46
  #2013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Do I come here often?
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by runway30 View Post
SND, whilst I could see the causal link between the death and hiring an unqualified pilot if the unqualified pilot lost control because the flight was way beyond his abilities, I can't see the causal link between hiring the unqualified pilot and death due to CO poisoning unless your allegation is that a qualified pilot would have identified the leak before death occurred or are you suggesting that the Aircraft Manager knew of the CO leak and allowed the flight to take place anyway or that he was so negligent in the maintenance of the aircraft that an accident was likely to occur?
CO poisoning is almost impossible to detect until itís nearly too late. However, there is no excuse, CO poisoning or not for an unqualified pilot carrying out this flight. Ibbotson knew he was unqualified, Henderson I suspect knew he was unqualified and an innocent life was lost.

Iíve spent a career in CAT operations watching cowboys taking the piss because they do it cheap, no one stops them and those of us with all the checks and balances in place lose business to these cheating s***s who laugh and lie their way out.

While I feel sorry for the loss and publicity Ibbotsonís family have suffered I hope his death may finally mean someone grasps illegal CAT and the operators by the throat and squeezes, hard.

Pilots are advertising helicopter sight seeing flights along the Thames, with 70 hours on their PPL and not knowing that for CAT a non-standard flight plan is required. Itís 20 years since I last flew a sightseeing flight, but I know what they mean to the real operators,

At a UK Airport last week I met an elderly lady whose son had paid for her to use the aircraft and pilot he hires regularly to take the mother to meet a friend. Cocky bloke in his 4 seat single and his PPL charging for a charter. Fancy putting your mumís safety in the hands of a couple of hundred hour PPL in iffy weather?

Ignore CO poisoning, it had no more relevance than a mild cold in this case. The flight was illegal and Sala was killed by people prepared to take a risk for a few quid, and from information now coming out about airworthiness, or lack of It sounds worse than at first thought.

I make no apology for my anger, I have to work my arse off to keep the staff employed and the aircraft paid for and then answer questions about how Sala died and are we safe. My passengers are, at a price, I suspect a lot of passengers in the UK now arenít.

I still await Grant Shapps response to how his ďfreeing up GAĒ has enhanced safety.

SND
Sir Niall Dementia is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 20:09
  #2014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by Sir Niall Dementia View Post


CO poisoning is almost impossible to detect until itís nearly too late. However, there is no excuse, CO poisoning or not for an unqualified pilot carrying out this flight. Ibbotson knew he was unqualified, Henderson I suspect knew he was unqualified and an innocent life was lost.

Iíve spent a career in CAT operations watching cowboys taking the piss because they do it cheap, no one stops them and those of us with all the checks and balances in place lose business to these cheating s***s who laugh and lie their way out.

While I feel sorry for the loss and publicity Ibbotsonís family have suffered I hope his death may finally mean someone grasps illegal CAT and the operators by the throat and squeezes, hard.

Pilots are advertising helicopter sight seeing flights along the Thames, with 70 hours on their PPL and not knowing that for CAT a non-standard flight plan is required. Itís 20 years since I last flew a sightseeing flight, but I know what they mean to the real operators,

At a UK Airport last week I met an elderly lady whose son had paid for her to use the aircraft and pilot he hires regularly to take the mother to meet a friend. Cocky bloke in his 4 seat single and his PPL charging for a charter. Fancy putting your mumís safety in the hands of a couple of hundred hour PPL in iffy weather?

Ignore CO poisoning, it had no more relevance than a mild cold in this case. The flight was illegal and Sala was killed by people prepared to take a risk for a few quid, and from information now coming out about airworthiness, or lack of It sounds worse than at first thought.

I make no apology for my anger, I have to work my arse off to keep the staff employed and the aircraft paid for and then answer questions about how Sala died and are we safe. My passengers are, at a price, I suspect a lot of passengers in the UK now arenít.

I still await Grant Shapps response to how his ďfreeing up GAĒ has enhanced safety.

SND
SND, I agree with everything you say.
runway30 is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 20:20
  #2015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,764
I second that SND
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 20:36
  #2016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Do I come here often?
Posts: 877
Mike & Runway30;

thank you both, and Runway30 if I seemed aggressive it definitely was not meant against you��

SND
Sir Niall Dementia is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 21:39
  #2017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn View Post
The reason for the difficult exam (the knowledge) London black cab drivers have to pass is they play by a clearly defined set of rules.

On the other side of the fence are the minicabs and Ubers who are the Arthur Daleys of the taxi world.

Few checks or regulation means you get what you pay for ...

I don't. I don't use London taxis. I'm not rich enough, and I have difficulty imagining who might be able to afford them (when not on expenses).
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2019, 21:46
  #2018 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stockport MAN/EGCC
Age: 65
Posts: 770
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn View Post
Agreed A and C.

The reason for the difficult exam (the knowledge) London black cab drivers have to pass is they play by a clearly defined set of rules.

On the other side of the fence are the minicabs and Ubers who are the Arthur Daleys of the taxi world.

Few checks or regulation means you get what you pay for but these people sadly undermine the legal operators business model.

If I was running an AOC operation I would be extremely angry to see cowboy pilots flying N reg aircraft on illegal charters that cannot be stopped by the CAA?




I canít help but wonder why, if all these ĎAir-Greyí charters are being flown visibly from UK airfields the resident AOC holders have not done so.
Or have they reported them and been ignored ? Several correspondents on here seem to be well aware of whatís been going on.
Has it been reported and ignored or has it just been ignored?
Be lucky
David
The AvgasDinosaur is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 07:50
  #2019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 844
cowboy pilots flying N reg aircraft on illegal charters that cannot be stopped by the CAA?
But they CAN be stopped by the CAA.

The fact that an aircraft is on the N register does not exempt the pilot from the law or regulations of the country in which it is used.

As regards the pilot it is the same. The rules applying to my FAA licence make that crystal clear: in fact it says that where the UK regulations differ from the FAA regs, the more restrictive regs apply.

All that said: I agree entirely that those arranging or flying the type of illegal charter that this flight appears to have been should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and have exemplary penalties imposed whatever reg aircraft they use.
Jonzarno is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 11:36
  #2020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Central UK
Posts: 278
Unfortunately the CAA is a rubber-toothed poodle when it comes to investigating, let alone prosecuting illegal ops, even when the prepetrators are AOC operators who already have Flight Ops Inspections and are thus readily investigable.

I personally know of one UK AOC holder that was chartering a King Air on a private C of A in Africa while advertising it as fully UK licenced and insured and their crew included a third 'ghost' pilot whose name was logged for all the (great many) hours over the legal maxima. One of their pilots was renowned for performing aerobatics to wow his female passengers. Indeed he was almost famous for it in the community they worked for.
This was reported but the CAA decided it was 'too difficult and too far away to investigate'.

I also had dealings with a UK scheduled airline that didn't allow Captains to write defects in tbe tech log, instead these were listed on the back of your met paperwork and left for the next guy to read, 3 pages of them on some of the fleet. Not one of the fleet of 5-6 aircraft was fit to fly in airways or in IMC due to defective deicing or radar and on some aircraft both. This could have been proven with 10 minutes work by a Flt Ops Inspector, but when reported nothing whatsoever was done despite their admitting it wasn't the first report of such chicanery they'd had filed. 10 years later I was still hearing of exactly the same going on in that company from its ex pilots. They even managed to have a wheels up landing with pax on a scheduled flight and never filed an accident report. And the CAA never did a thing despite that being reported too!

Good luck hoping they'll do anything to stop illegal charters by PPLs or on the N reg. Pigs will fly first.
meleagertoo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.