PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 22:49
CaptainMidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only realistic scenario that could cause inordinate amounts of noise on Area and unusual risk is the ‘fly in’ event at a strip that’s not marked on the charts. In that scenario Airervices and CASA should be able to arrange the publication of a NOTAM, in a timely fashion, that promulgates a discrete frequency for CTAF procedures as well as letting everyone else know what’s on and where. I’m sure there’ll be a perfectly nonsensical bureaucratic reason for this being too difficult.
No, it's not difficult and the method it is actually standard practice.

It does require organisers of such events to contact CASA and request a NOTAM and use of the discrete frequency.
1. The unmarked airfield bogey

The stated prime issue has been the decision to nominate Area frequency for those aviating at unmarked airfields outside of existing CTAF boundaries. Surely, if there is so much traffic associated with unmarked airfields the first step to improve safety is to mark more of them so pilots know they are there?
That is exactly the point made by Airservices at an industry meeting some 4 years ago on the subject i.e. it is already a longstanding practice that if the traffic levels at an airfield increase to the extent that the comms become a problem on an FIA frequency, the airfield will be marked on the charts so that 126.7 applies or even a discrete CTAF allocated.

However it is my understanding that the RAPAC reps in attendance rejected that as an ongoing solution, and instead were focused on the introduction of the low level MULTICOM.