PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 21:28
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephfeatherweight
Smells a bit suss to me too, IsDon.
Problem is, not really an easy way to find out, which is a bugger.
Got any (now) 1 or 2 star mates still in??
Yes I do actually, and I spent yesterday on the phone to various contacts.

What I can say is that the general comments here are correct.

Apparently all of the RAAF ADFA Pilot positions have been selected and my nephew wasn’t one of them. I was surprised to be told there was only 10, yes 10, RAAF ADFA Pilot positions open for males. I don’t know how big the intakes are now, in my day there we’re around 30. So 20 females, 10 males. Should make TOGA parties fun for the 10 but I despair for the future of RAAF aviation if political appointments under a social agenda trump aptitude.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be a QFI at 2FTS. Stand by for much hand wringing and naval gazing when the traditional 50% pass rate plummets to 30%. Unless politics comes into play and the standards hurdle is lowered to avoid embarrassment. From mates still instructing scrubbing a girl takes almost an act of Parliament.

As for my nephew, he’s decided to use the Navy offer as a potential back door into the RAAF. To reject the Navy offer would require him to go through the complete ASP selection process from the start. All previous aptitude testing is thrown out in favour of the new system. With any new system it may take a year or two to get right so there’s a very real possibility that he may not go as well with the new system. Service transfers are quite common these days and if he does well on pilots course there’s the very real prospect of putting on a blue uniform and going straight to fighters. Seems as if the competition won’t be as high as it should be. He may even like the Navy and elect to stay. Flying an embarked helicopter would be a hoot. My previous life included RAAF Iroquois and P3Cs among the seven RAAF types I flew. Combining the fascinating world of maritime flying with a helicopter would be very rewarding flying.

Good luck to all of those still in the pipeline. Thanks for all of your assistance and support.

Last edited by IsDon; 18th Dec 2017 at 23:46.