PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2017, 12:24
Danny42C

Ian (#11651),

Don't think I'll be investing in one of those. We had them up on here years ago, and concluded that they'd been cobbled up for the unfortunates who had to fly the Mk.IVs which came over to the UK late in the war, and were all converted into TTs (AFAIK).

When the first Mks I and II came out to India in autumn 1942, there was a sketchy Vultee sort-of Pilot's Note, not much use. As you say, we learned the hard way - by trial and error ! When I think of the comprehensive "conversion courses" which were deemed necessary (postwar) before we flew anything with more than one seat, it is amusing to recall my introduction to the VV - 20 mins in the back (which had a [detachable] stick, a rudder bar, a throttle and nowt else). Take-off, trim and landing by an 'experienced' (5 hr) VV man. Then I was a fully trained VV pilot ! ...... But they were good days ...

Spitfire Notes - now you're talking. Will raid piggybank and order one for Mk.I and another for Mk.XVI. Warmtoast (#11646), thanks for the steer, I presume, if I email <Museumselection.co.uk>, they will tell me how to do it.

Cheers both, Danny.