PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From the Ray Prouty Archives: Emergency Maneuvering
Old 16th Dec 2017, 10:48
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
From the Ray Prouty Archives: Emergency Maneuvering

Rotor & Wing recently reprinted this Ray Prouty article: From the Ray Prouty Archives: Emergency Maneuvering - Rotor & Wing International
Ray discusses the helicopter limitations that a pilot needs to consider when deciding which emergency manoeuvre to choose when suddenly seeing a HV-line just in front of them.

The options that Ray discusses are:

- Pull-up
- Push-over
- 180 deg turn

While Ray explains - for each manoeuvre - which design limitations might be reached, and the short and long-term implications of breaching them, he doesn't actually say which emergency manoeuvre is most suitable to save your bacon.

If I may venture an answer: In all generality pulling-up is the way to go. It introduces the same change of direction (angular velocity) as a turn, and you make gravity work in your favour by slowing you down. Plus, while if choosing a turn, I would have to have turned by 90 deg within the remaining distance to the obstacle, with an aggressive pull-up I might be able to clear the power line long before even coming to stop.

Can one see it differently?