PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Isle of Man-2
Thread: Isle of Man-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2017, 11:31
lfc84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cumbrianboy
The point here is not about whether eastern will remain on the BHD route, it is far wider reaching.

easyJet have destoryed the connectivity to the Island.

in terms of connectivity - eastern aren't any better. no connections.
easyjet now offer connecting flights on thier website.
flybe ofer connecting flights - but to fewer destinations.
ba offer connections but majority need a change of airport.
aer lingus offer connections but only to a tiny number of destinations on their network without using a trael agent.

so i disagree that easyjet have destroyed connectivity.

EasyJet will do what suits easyJet and they have no vested interest in the IOM. I am well aware that fares can be prohibitive but that is a separate issue. The problem is, easyJet are a commercial organisation and will do what suits easyJet. We saw this last summer when they reduced the LTN flights during the peak season to use the aircraft elsewhere.

Let me say, I have huge respect for easyJet and think they are an amazing airline, BUT they are the WRONG airline for the Isle of Man.
look at easyjet fares - much, much lower than anyone else operating to London. they could arguably double what they charge - but to be fair - they don't.

without easyjet pasenger numbers would have collapsed.

Air services to the Isle of Man can not be treated the same as a new easyJet route from LPL to Spain for example. easyJet serving the IOM are not giving people a nice option for a summer holiday or giving people a chance to go and see Auntie Joan for the weekend.

Air services on the IOM are lifeline routes, The Island DEPENDS on them. Not sure for tourism, but for the economic and social well being of the island.

The problem when you put these absolutely essential services in the hands of commerical operators is that the Island suffers, and is suffering due to lack of connectivity.
all of the airlines are commercial operators. that's how it should be.

I am not saying easyJet are not a good thing, they have many advantages, and in most cases I am their biggest fan, but I genuinely believe that the IOM needs to do things differently, and it needs government intervention. I realise this is unlikely to happen but it doesn't change the basic fact that it should.

Like I said, Gatwick, used to be 4 flights a day, not some days it is only 1 a day, and on others the times are woefully inadequate.

Belfast, will most likely now end up twice a week.
doesn't the fact that the other operators who chose to run 4 sectors each and every day are gone or are struggling tell you anything ?

it indicates to me that the model easyjet use is successful.

All the direct points we used to have are now a much longed after thing of the past.
such as ?

The recent report on Aurigny makes for interesting reading, and it comes back to my original point, that for a small island community air services need to be viewed as lifelines and part of the national infrastructure and not as profit centres.
Look at jersey....! more airlines, more routes, more passengers and more people than IOM.

that's what the IOM should be aiming for !