PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I determine icing conditions
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2017, 08:04
Chris Martyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry chaps , was I sounding a bit cavalier there ? that was most certainly not the intention [cue red-face]
I will come clean here , as I am the builder/pilot of a VW powered homebuilt and believe me , I am well versed in carb. icing situations . It's probably a similar situation with chaps who fly behind smaller Continental engines .
Luckily , my self fabricated carb. heat box is incredibly efficient [ask me how I know that] Carburettor icing scares the cr@p out of me , which is why I pull on my carb. heat at very regular intervals as a matter of course.
I apologise that I made light of that fact . It is a case of familiarity ,,,but certainly not contempt !

On a lighter note , I was being checked out on a C172 in Florida recently and on application of carb. heat , the Instructor remarked "Hey , y'don't need to do it that often".....................[Yeah,,OK mate ]
Maybe I should re-word as ; Carb. Ice,,potentially dangerous . But if one disciplines oneself in dealing with it , then with a serviceable aircraft , it's no big deal.