PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 11:10
EllanVannin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to add another more positive reflection to counter the more negative posts pprune tends to attract.

I joined BA 4 years ago. At the time I too wrestled with the prospect of giving up well paid command opportunities at a LoCo to make the move. All I can say is that I am so glad I did.

Everyone has their own needs and wishes, but for me the greatest pleasure has been to explore the world, taking in the sights and culture, having free time for myself, enjoying the food and the occasional party with colleagues. It is a huge privilege that so few people in the world are able to experience. All that alongside a roster bidding and swapping system that allows me to make the most of my family and social life at home.

In short, I am grateful that I can enjoy my life, doing the things that I want to do, rather than continuining with a LoCo job that I personally found repetitive and unsatisfying.

Again, this is just my personal preference. I realise some people are more than happy at a LoCo, and I'm pleased for them. I just wanted to add another perspective. In the end, I find it hard to believe that the lifestyle I describe above was not part of the attraction to the profession for most pilots. If we wanted to be at home every night, then flying was not the obvious choice.

Good luck to everyone who makes the move.