PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2017, 13:24
Killaroo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JFK ATC and Canarsie, what a combo.
My Canarsie story....
I was sent to the Holding Point at 13L for departure (Canarsie approaches were in use).
I spent the next 30 minutes watching the air show as the heavies flung themselves at the runway.
A little Commuter Jetstream appeared at the Holding Point on the opposite side of the runway and was given barked instructions to line up after a landing Air France A330 on short finals, and be ready immediate.
Air France rolled onto finals and touched down - a bit long. The Jetstream lined up and held.
ATC began yelling at Air France to get off the runway - the reason being a Speedbird B747 now rolling onto finals!
As AF finally was clearing, the Jetstream was ordered to “stand up your throttles and release brakes when I tell you” (what kinda BS!). He was then cleared immediate take-off, and started rolling. We watched in amazement - the BA jumbo was now at about 200’.
The Jetstream probably got to 50kts only, then the shout came for him to “abort your takeoff immediately” followed by another order for the BA to GoAround. Which he did, from about 150’ - spectacular! I’m sure the BA crew knew they’d have to throw it away, but were hoping?
So now we had just seen an RTO and a low GA.
With the Jetstream still on the RWY the next up was an American Airlines MD-11 peeling around the Canarsie corner onto finals for 13L.
“American, do you have 13R in sight?”
“Affirmative sir”
“OK you’re cleared land 13R!”
American peels off toward 13R, then quickly realises the staggered runway is closer and he’s too high and too close. He calls Going Around.
Two GAs and an RTO in the space of a minute.
Gobsmacking.
But that’s Kennedy...