PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2017, 04:40
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow - So if you have more fuel, you have more time? I’ll have to write that down in my “Big Book Of Wisdom I’ve Learnt From People With Actual Operational Experience”.
LB there is no need to be facetious.
It does you no credit.
I was merely pointing out that ( usually) the quality of decision making improves with the time taken to make the decision and this can have an impact when making a divert decision. The reason better decisions normally result is that more information is gathered prior to making the decision.
The only reason I made the comments was because you asserted
At least we all seem to be in agreement that even if he’d carried full fuel, the PIC was committed to a ditching somewhere if he couldn’t get into YSNF.
I disagree and think the decision making in the late stages of the cruise may well have been different if more fuel was carried. That is all.
Statements like
I understand him to be saying that you have to know the specific gravity of the particular fuel to be uploaded, as the weight of the fuel and the weight of medical staff, patient, patient’s partner and medical equipment all contribute to MTOW. It also makes a difference to how much ‘thrust for the buck’ that you get. And TOW affects how quickly you can get ‘up there’.

Apparently the SG of jet fuel varies, substantially, across various ports.
make me wonder if you’re qualified to pass comment on this at all because even a year one Second Officer views the above knowledge as ‘a given’.