PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Aviation University Flight Dispatcher Course Dubai.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 02:01
PNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am an ATPL holder, Former Instructor of the Dispatcher course at EK, and have over 30 years of aviation experience on 3 continents.

1. The Dispatcher's course is tough because you are tasked with 8 hours of classroom instruction every single day 5 days a week. The material itself is not all that tough. Unless you have a high IQ, you will have to go home and study during nights and weekends.

2. The Dispatcher's exam is out of the FAA ATP Knowledge Exams. It does NOT prepare you to be a Pilot, references above are incorrect. You will know some theory that your General Aviation flying school graduate with a CPL and Flight Instructor rating does not even know, this is a good point, as they have reached not airline pilot training yet. I had a relative of mine send her Son to take the course before she spent money on him learning to fly, wanted to make sure he was intellectually willing to put in the effort. You don't have to put in so much intellectual effort to fly a single engine airplane, to earn your PPL and CPL, you do have to develop motor skills and other skills not applicable to a Dispatcher. I have had some weak students, who had a PPL and CPL, that could not pass the dispatcher training course on first attempt.

3. You don't have to be intelligent to make it through the course. You do have to work hard, be resilient and self-reliant.

4. Sadly the training standards, inclusive of the written, oral and practical exam are far below par to the FAA Dispatcher's Certificate. Your GCAA certification will be unrecognized out of UAE, what do you do when they have a recession and you need work???

5. If your plans are for a career in aviation as a Flight Dispatcher, you are absolutely SURE you like the position so much (perhaps you worked Operations Control or something) then I highly recommend spending 2 months in the USA earning the FAA Dispatcher Rating, which unlike the GCAA, never expires unless surrendered, suspended or revoked. (This bit of advice will not work if you are unable to get the visa or unable to pay for the training in USD.)

6. Be mindful of what you are getting yourself into, being a Dispatcher is NOT a glamorous job. Sure some will get into lucrative Royal Jet or Ameriflight but most will not.

7. It's been a while, of the 300 hundred or so I trained, approximately 75% are doing something else now, in or out of aviation.

GOOD LUCK and GOD SPEED!