PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 18:16
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 421 Likes on 222 Posts
The choppers had to make do with the daily "Standard Area Forecast" once deployed, cut off from their more competent airfield Met forecasters.
Our "competent airfield met forecaster" once came into Met brief with snow all over his blazer, only to confidently pronounce that there was no chance of snow that day. It seemed to take him a while to work out why everyone was laughing, even though by then most of it had melted into drops of water it was still visible.

On deployment we usually checked the local met ourselves on a "suck it and see" basis. I was once asked to go out and do a weather check by the Flight Commander. I walked outside, looked up, saw very low cloud and went back into the ops Landrover. The Flt Cdr asked me why I hadn't got airborne; I said because the weather was well outside limits. He grumpily detailed another, "more keen to please" pilot to get airborne (another black mark on my my school report). Said pilot ran out, started up, took off and went into my reported low cloud at about 75 ft agl. He couldn't get back to the site for three days...