PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CT Coronary Angiogram?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 10:40
Radgirl

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont want to hog this thread (nor I suspect do many of you!) and do not claim to be an expert but

noblues: the rules, regulations and monitoring have changed over the years. Lab work as opposed to clinical settings may well not have been so well monitored in the past. 50 mSv is not set as the edge of disaster but a totally safe level - in the rare instances where people go over they simply have to stay away from radiation for a time. I am not aware of occupational risk in healthcare workers who have now retired and for us younger ones!! the dose used continues to plummet. The latest generation of CT scanners for example use a third to a half less radiation than just 5 years ago

Cavortingcheetah: no I dont know the answer to your question, but a number of studies have failed to show any increase in cancers generally in pilots. The one exception is skin cancer which is increased but interestingly this may well be due to the effect of long haul on circadian rhythms.

Radiation is scary but the reality is that risk is tiny, and if radiation is needed for a medical test nowadays, on new equipment, I really wouldnt give it a second thought.