PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 22:21
Lead Balloon

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
I think you should give up flying altogether if you don't understand that the ultimate responsibility rests with the PIC for the flight from chocks off to chocks on. Or is it your Public Service mentality that suggests decision making has no consequences? Many years ago ATC had the responsibility for determining whether an aircraft could even attempt to land at an airport and had to give approval for flight plans. If I recall Dick Smith had a lot to say on the subject suggesting that the PIC should have that responsibility(and rightly so), so operational control was taken away from ATC. Now we get desk jockeys crying over the fact that information is not handed to them on a plate and that they have to demean themselves: "to request everything"

You have been dining out on your fuel calculations 27 years ago for a while and even in that you blamed the manufacturer's manual.

Really? He has never stated where he made his mistakes and recently has stated that even if he had full fuel he would still have had to ditch. I don't recall any acknowledgement of leaving an unconscious F/O in the flight deck or acknowledging that a MAYDAY giving details of where the ditching was going to take place would have been a good idea.

It seems that you have a similar mental model of the responsibilities of PIC and that it is every one else's fault. Like I said at the start you should give up flying altogether.
The imposter LL posts again!

I said I made (and continue to make) “plenty” of mistakes. I said my mistake in the particular instance I mentioned - which was about fuel - was an error in my enroute calculations. As a consequence of my mistake I managed to use every drop of useable fuel, as stated in the flight manual for the aircraft.

I’ve seen the PIC on national television say he made mistakes.