PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 16:08
bringbackthe80s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Yes, I left as well ( because I could afford to) and got my life back..no amount of money can replace your life..I sleep with my wife, see my kids and walk my dogs. Then a year ago, I saw a job ad that really got my life back. It said.." XXX State Rail Authority is looking for people to become Urban Railcar Drivers. Interested..we offer great conditions and a great place to work. You don't need train driving experience..just life experience..we recruit from a wide range of backgrounds"

I thought..what the hell..lets give it a go.

Then began the longest (12 months ) hardest recruitment process I have ever been through..( and I have worked for 3 airlines including EK).

My initial application was in March 2016..and the recruitment process was finalised in Feb 2017...in March I was advised I was selected to start my 30 week course in July.

And can I say..Im having a ball. I love it!!!. Firstly..it is such a lovely lovely place to work, everyone can not do enough for you.

On the first day of our course, the Head of Training came in and told us.."Guys we know you do not know anything about driving trains, Thats why the course is 30 weeks long.WE get thousands of applicants for this job when we advertise , we have selected 45 of you..we are here to train you and get you trough the course".

The whole training..11 weeks classroom and the 19 weeks "on track" training has been complete "no threat" training. I have 6 weeks left until my final check. I made a mistake today and was getting very pissed off with myself as I should have known better by now and my instructor said..."Relax Mate, stop being so hard on yourself..you have been driving trains for 10 weeks, I ave been driving 20 years and I have done the same error many times"

There are rules that need to be followed..many, just like flying..one rule is..you are issued with an "official" watch..it can be sync with the train clock and you are required to wear it while driving....you can wear 10 watches if you like as long as one of them s the Railcar Issue one.

The other day, I forgot to wear it..I realised s I got to work I had on my "normal" aviation watch. I straight away went into "EK mode" thinking, nasty emails, warning letters, meetings withe EGT. I went to see the Depot Master ( the FDM) and told him I did not have my watch...his response?...'Don't worry mate..you are not the first..you certainly won't be the last..thats why we have a box of spares..."

I could go on about the 10 weeks annual leave..the 6 week ahead rosters..

My point is..the Sandpit ain't everything no matter how much they pay..aviation ain't everything...what you need to evaluate is....when you are on our death bed will you be happy you spent that extra year in the Sandpit?

Sorry for the long post

Regards to all

SOPS

With the most respect, I get that you love driving trains. But please also realize that many people here do not want to give up flying and this is why the vent their (endless) moans on here. They say they do, but the truth of the matter is if they're off for a couple of months for any reason, they miss it. Sure it depends on age, when I' anywhere within 15 yrs of retiring I will not fly multiple sectors or 800 hrs a year, that's for sure. There are options though, in many places around the world, and to be honest they are not usually discussed on here (the best sign). Usually options that require not counting on the stability of a permantent contract, or a stable airline. Good people quickly find the next job though. So there you have it, the hard truth, we can't have everything. Plenty of options, choose wisely.