PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 19:31
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concours77,

1. The slight drift is an artifact of the way it's flown, no meaning intended. The simulator does not fly the aircraft in a goal-seeking process, guiding up to reach a desired altitude, banking right to a desired bank. The simulator is under the control of a scripting program I wrote which simply replays control inputs that were recorded from a prior run. I wrote an editing interface, and I tweak the script until I get the results I want. The simulator has a built-in randomizer to make the world seem more realistic, so each flight has tiny variations. It's the electronic equivalent of launching paper airplanes. The result is like a shotgun - a closely grouped set of results, no two quite the same.

2. The turn was planned that way. They had no idea they had a problem until they tried to flatten the bank. By the time they saw there was a problem, they were in a bank somewhere over 20 degrees. This was I think a fatal circumstance not mentioned as a contributing factor in the reports. If the aileron had become unresponsive in level flight, they would have been fine.

3. There were several comments in newspaper reports. At the time this was a subject of intense discussion. It is baffling to me that it was never addressed in the reports, considering the contemporary discussion. The reports say the engines were turning and delivering power, but there's no confidence that it was full power. Still, the speed was about right for that point in the takeoff, and it was the excessive bank that made the speed critically low. Equally interesting is how low they were. The reports say they were slightly low, but they were about half the normal altitude, which is also never really addressed.

4 and 5. I have no other information on the berm or debris. This is why I keep looking for investigation documents. My sister has some experience with document retention policies, and she's sure the investigation documents are still around. But no one gains a thing by releasing them to me, or acknowledging to me that they exist. There's always the possibility of liability issues. A reopening of the investigation would shake them loose, of course.

6. Don't see that the label matters. It's possible the power lines interrupted what may have been an incipient recovery. None of the power line pictures show indicator globes between the poles, planes weren't supposed to be there, and it's probably a safe bet that the crew never saw them.

7. The debris should have been closer and the right wing should have been obliterated. Compare to the Argentine crash on page 63 and watch the video linked there. I don't think a near-vertical bank is credible for several reasons.

I'm currently working on some CGI software to help visualize all this.