PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 05:16
CaptainMidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookleft said:
Well done Down and Welded you have summed up the situation quite succinctly. There is a lot of talk about lessons learnt. One reason I asked the question about getting into an aircraft commanded by DJ is that I don't think he has learnt from the experience and I am not talking about how to do a PNR.

This is one reason why I think this:

Quote:
But Mr James said a larger tank of fuel would not have changed the outcome that day – he would still have had to ditch the plane in the ocean.

Instead, he said a lack of information about the rapidly deteriorating weather that day was a major factor glossed over.

"For two-and-a-half hours of that flight, there were about four significant opportunities for air traffic control to look at the information in front of them and pass it onto me. All of these opportunities were missed," he said.
Over 40+ years experience I have held the view that rather than always expect to be given or handed such information, it is instead a pilot responsibility (a philosophy seemingly supported by AIP & CAR) to:
  1. obtain all operational information necessary for a flight;
  2. update it before flight, particularly if a significant time period has elapsed from the time the original material was sourced, and
  3. in-flight be proactive and regularly seek updates, e.g. half hour and hourly METAR/SPECI if available if going to a location where the WX or other local aspects may be subject to change, particularly if an enroute diversion/decision point is involved.
While ATC/ATS have a responsibility to pass limited information in-flight to particular categories of flight in specific classes of airspace,
  1. it is subject to their workload,
  2. their alert or delivery timing may not suit my calculations or decision times, and
  3. they will not be aware of my alternate(s) nor anything affecting flight thereto, which I also need to monitor.

To me, this is basic knowledge and practice for all pilots. If it isn't being taught, then that is a sad indictment of pilot training in this country.