PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 01:59
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
he would still have had to ditch the plane in the ocean
The lesson I took from the report was that he was not about to bust minima attempting an approach, he briefed the FO on that point. Perhaps he saw a ditching as a preferable means to shooting an approach to below minima, putting it into the dirt with the attendant risk to the occupants and those on the ground. That's why I started the other thread "What would you have done?"
Then we have to process the concomitant and ever-so-slightly guilty ‘there but for the grace of God go I’ declarations from other pilots (slightly worrisome, because they tend to sound like ‘If I ever got myself into a similar position (and I think I easily could) I would hope to get the benefit of the doubt and plenty of slack too’ confessions)
Whenever I hear the "God" phrase used I see it as an acknowledgement the person is cognisant of human failings, and doesn't see him/herself as a Skygod. Good attitude to have.

As to the would you let your family with this man question, I would ask Lookleft would you let your family fly with Bob Hoover?

The Mildura incident has been mentioned elsewhere as having similarities. Would the crews have been held at fault, responsible (chose your term) had the weather turned out to be zero/zero and a 737 was left spread across the grapevines/saltbush?