PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 00:54
Lookleft

Received 190 Likes on 86 Posts
Well done Down and Welded you have summed up the situation quite succinctly. There is a lot of talk about lessons learnt. One reason I asked the question about getting into an aircraft commanded by DJ is that I don't think he has learnt from the experience and I am not talking about how to do a PNR. This is one reason why I think this:

But Mr James said a larger tank of fuel would not have changed the outcome that day – he would still have had to ditch the plane in the ocean.

Instead, he said a lack of information about the rapidly deteriorating weather that day was a major factor glossed over.

"For two-and-a-half hours of that flight, there were about four significant opportunities for air traffic control to look at the information in front of them and pass it onto me. All of these opportunities were missed," he said.
I have known of quite a few pilots over my career who have either lost their command, failed to be upgraded or been sacked because of their attitude to the requirements of PIC. What I see in the response to the latest report is more that it is others at fault. I don't doubt that he lacks the knowledge but I doubt that he has the right attitude to regain a command. A very subjective assessment I accept but in my experience an attitude of, it being every one elses fault, does not change readily and DJ's own words, as quoted in the SMH,reinforce that. If it was all about punishment then the crew of the MIA incident would also be going through the same process. As far as I am aware they are not.