PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all Dick dislikers...
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 15:32
2B1ASK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel NAS

SM4 Pirate

Your teasing me suppose I better hit you with some facts. Your welcome to look up the following statistics to verify their contents. To be fair to all I will pick the accident rates and fatality rates over the last 12 years both here and the US. Period 1992-2002 GA accidents and deaths US average out at 7.51 accidents and 1.45 deaths per 100,000 flying hours NTSB US report can be verified on numerous websites. Australia 10.80 accident and 2.3 deaths per 100,000 flying hours again can be verified on ATSB website. Some may think that they are pretty close after all whats 1 more death per 100,000 flying hours you may say. Its worse US have almost 6 times the traffic and flying hours than Australia. Further more looking at the two trends the US statistic are improving on a yearly basis not so in our case they have a made very little change and our annual hours are dropping in GA.
In fact when looking at a 30 year trend if we were ever lucky enough to match GA US in flying hours our accident rate would be around10 times higher looking at the trend of accident rates versus annual flying hours over the last 30 years.

Wake up Australia has an unacceptable GA accident rate, infrastructure my backside its clearly easy to see that the US system is better and although there will be a few problems in cultural change it will be for the better, don't quote US radar cover as a big issue simple fact US pilots look out the window far more than we do and are far safer they have managed to reduce the cockpit workload and allow PVT pilots to concentrate on looking out. The average student here has such a workload trying to avoid unnessesary large CTA steps, military zones frequency changes and fear of breaches and regulations he may or may not have remembered that actually looking out and flying the aircraft becomes second to looking down at his map and trying to navigate complicated airspace, I see this every day.

You have to be a regional jockey please stop trying to use NAS to feather your own perceived safety issues you owe it to GA. CPL and ATPL as in you case perhaps are a minority 6000 CPL 6000 ATPL and 18,000 PVT I think at last count Im pretty sure some regional jockey out there will correct me, thats not the issue we are all pilots and need a better system our accident figures are high many countries are adopting the US system in whole or part and are getting good results.

In answer to your statement I don't think your are fully briefed or have in fact looked outside the information provided to you by the workshop if you are neck deep in the process then with your attidude NAS is doomed to fail and GA will continue to decline in Australia. If it does end on the 27th Nov then it will be a sad day and you will have got what you want and put another nail in the GA coffin. I emplore all pilots to work together on this and help it work don,t listen to the crap about the training package not being out in time contact your local school if your not sure part 2b is not a great change just a small step of many changes dont,t let regional dictate how our airspace is run which in fact is whats happening and at our cost and there benefit simple fact the average regional does not think we should share the same airspace. There argument that they have such responsibility is also garbage, the prestige of being a regional pilot good pay and fast toys is the real motive. When the poo hits the fan and when the your final day is near, wisest of us know not when the good old human self preservation steps in and in fact passengers become non exsistent statistically and psycologically speaking please ask me for a refference if you wish.

I have no axe to grind, no fence to sit on or side to support personally I have always been a facts and figures man and dont jump to to many conclusions without evidence to support it. So to re-cap the main issue U.S accident rate not only lower but 5 to 6 times the amount of traffic GA booming Australia higher accident rate than most other non third world countries and dying please don't ask for quotes as I have spent far too much time on this topic. As I said smell the coffee or at least change brands. This is by no means personal so don't make that an issue.