PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 21:26
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever the flight path, it is secondary to momentum. Mass continues in its path unless acted upon or hitting an obstacle. The "acted upon" (command) seems to be without sufficient authority to alter the flight path, but in this case, the momentum seems to have been consistent with obstacle, or impact.

The recent example of low speed, near Stall grief is Asiana at SFO. It is remarkable how quickly an airframe can respond, but remember size and mass are deceptively at odds in large aircraft.

The triple seven rotated immediately in the horizontal when the right main gear hit rocks at threshold. This acceleration of the aircraft caused a violent wing over, and these folks were immeasurably luckier than those on your Electra.

Another exemplar might be FedEx at Norita. The MD11 oscillated emphatically until the right wing spar collapsed, and the aircraft rotated violently with the (resultant) massive asymmetric increase in AoA.

Prolly no yaw damper on the Electra? I certainly agree most crew would be actively on the Rudder to control heading and roll.

So you mesh pre Stall buffet with control yoke oscillation? At ninety degrees roll, there is no lift at all, save that reserved for heading! Rudder becomes elevator at knife edge. I don't see that, there is far too much forward travel. Dropping at that rate I would expect a smoking hole, not so much linear advance?

BTW, thank you for such a measured and intelligent discussion.