PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 19:49
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nexttime
I've been humming and harring about expressing my feelings with Qantas recruitment and thought I would share my experience to get it off my chest.

I am a bit deflated about it all and have such an overwhelming sense of failure knowing that I did my absolute best to prepare myself.

But also in saying that I certainly take my hat off to those that progressed and are now seated on the flight deck of a Qantas jet. They are clearly capable of something that I am not.
nexttime,

Advice from strangers isn’t likely much consolation but I hate to see you being too hard on yourself. You played the opening period in a very tough game. It’s hard not to take it personally…cuz…it’s so freakin’ PERSONAL !!

Discouragement and frustration are understandable; it’s easy to let it rock one’s confidence.

Just getting an interview is a huge accomplishment so you must’ve shown them something they liked and considered to meet standards or you'd not have been invited in. Neither you nor those hired will know what they did right…or wrong…in producing the results. Most of us aren’t all that good at interviewing.

The process Down There and Up Here are likely very similar at the legacy level (and below). I’ve watched friends and acquaintances run this gauntlet for 4+ decades and seen airlines turn away some absolutely fantastic candidates. To this day, no one knows why. The airlines think they’ve got an infallible process bordering on clairvoyance. Umm, they don’t. They do an OK job of hiring good people but let a few real clinkers slip though.

An inside source up here told me of a guy hired by a place you’d kill to work for…on the THIRD interview. Mind boggling since the guy they hired on the third go is exactly the same guy they turned down the first time…and the second time. It’s foolish to believe otherwise. He merely learned how to spray better perfume on his dogs and ponies which speaks volumes about the game itself.

So, don’t let it get to you enough to erode your confidence. (Easy for others to say, I know.)

If they’ll let you interview again, do it…ten times if they’ll allow. If you can get some interview prep, do that too.

Hang in there and best wishes.