PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentinean Submarine down - USN rescue team mobilised
Old 21st Nov 2017, 19:47
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...upply-runs-low

A massive search and rescue operation has intensified to find the Argentinian navy submarine ARA San Juan that went missing six days ago in the South Atlantic.

If the crew are still alive the submarine would only have one day’s worth of oxygen reserves left. If the vessel is found, a submarine rescue chamber (SCR) will be lowered to couple with the vessel’s hatch and bring the crew up to the surface six members at a time.

US rescue equipment and personnel left the Argentinian port of Comodoro Rivadavia on Tuesday heading for the last known location of the San Juan.

The SCR and other equipment left aboard the Skandi Patagonia, an oil exploration vessel hired by the US Navy for the rescue mission, heading for the spot 432km (268 miles) east of the Argentinian coast from where the submarine made its last transmission.

If the vessel is found, the SCR will be lowered down a cable to try to couple up for the rescue.

A total of 49 ships and aircraft from Argentina, the US, the UK, Brazil, Chile and other countries were taking advantage of improved weather conditions to search an area larger than the state of California. More than 100 personnel were participating in the rescue operation, including US and Argentinian navy operatives.

The US navy said it was deploying four unmanned undersea vehicles in the search

A large liferaft found in the search area on Monday night, and flares sighted by rescue ships, turned out not to be from the San Juan, the Argentinian navy said on Tuesday. Underwater sounds detected earlier on Monday and seven satellite phone calls that failed to connect on Saturday were not from the missing submarine either, it has been confirmed.

Play Video 1:11
Argentinian navy releases video of search for missing submarine – video
Relatives of the 44 crew members have gathered at the Mar del Plata naval base where the submarine had originally been scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Argentinian flags and signs bearing messages of hope for their loved ones had been attached to the wire fence around the base. “We trust in God,” said one sign.

The families were receiving psychological support from naval doctors at the base.

“We’re grateful for the support,” María Victoria García, the mother of Luis Esteban García, told the TN news station. “I have my sights placed on God and the Virgin Mary asking them to bring him back. I am shouting to the sea to send back my son.”