PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:00
V12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I definitely admire your consistency TescoApp, that's the same that Tri passengers faced daily if they were on a fully-laden Tri anytime over the last 40 years; and locals were complaining at its retirement that they missed it, and why couldn't its life be extended!

More relevant for me is the comparative statistical likelihood of either the PT6 failing (as a single point of failure) or the 40-60yr old (single point of failure) pilot having a heart attack or other incapacity: you end up getting wet in both scenarios. But then again how many rotary flights happen daily around the world with single pilot, single engine, and people willingly enjoy those, me included.

[As to the probable cause of this ditching, the operator's maintenance records showed that "owing to some confusion" they had missed a mandatory compressor turbine blade evaluation, which would likely have revealed the defect. ]

Life is a permanent risk, and every hour of every day we make decisions on minimising, but never eliminating, risk. They all carry different probabilities, but I am re-assured because aviation is a very disciplined industry and there's a hell of a lot of work going in to reducing those risks across the board, at airframe, engine, airport, training, maintenance, operational and recruitment levels.

By and large, though, much of the general public pro-actively choose to be risk takers, and a bit ill-disciplined: we get drunk and face increased risk of personal injury; we drive too fast or without sufficient care and attention; too many people use their phones whilst they drive or cross the road; we smoke too much and we eat cr*p fast food which we know these will statistically kill more of us than any plane will; we buy the very cheapest products avoiding the slight premium on safer ones; we go on fairground rides because they are fun; we vote for Br*xit even though it will hurt us, because we don't like the political status quo (ouch...did I really write that!) etc.etc.

Statistically most fatalities happen in the home or in hospital: so if you're that risk averse, avoid both of those places.

To see just how risk prone some folk choose to be, try Googling "Death by Selfie".