PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 14:35
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N13FB
In times gone by when I was "Maverick and Invincible" I would have considered TCAS to be an unnecessary gadget, together with Mode S transponders etc. Having recently been flying a relatively new Enstrom (Not my first choice of type) in Texas which is fitted out with every Garmin toy one could imagine, I have learnt that TCAS DOES work. You don't need to look at it, it gives a verbal warning i.e "traffic one mile 12.00".
That would be TAS/TIS, not TCAS, correct? TCAS does more than just call out traffic. It would be extremely unusual, if not actually impossible, to provision a helicopter like an Enstrom with TCAS. ADS-B In/Out with TAS/TIS, yes, TCAS, no.

It is my strong belief that transponders and TCAS should be a legal requirement on ALL aircraft. That includes hang gliders, gliders, paramotors, microlights, spam cans and helicopters. With the one exception of Paramotors, I have owned and flown all those listed. I do not subscribe to the argument that cost is prohibitive. Frankly, if you can't afford it, take up golf.
That's pretty elitist. The counter-position to that is "If you are that risk averse, stay on the ground and don't ruin things for a large portion of TRULY not so well off general aviation." Even for those who don't fly on a shoestring, a high end ADS-B upgrade (e.g. GTX345 + installation) can still equate to 25% of yearly operating costs for many GA operators (it does for me). For those who do fly on a shoestring budget that sort of thinking will take them right out of the game. Oh, wait, that's the plan, isn't it? Maybe we should just kill off general aviation all together. Nobody needs to fly under Part 91. Waaay too dangerous. They can all just sit in their basements and use simulators