PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair Collision Near Waddesdon
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 08:59
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
russian-roulette

Why would any one fit a mode C transponder these days when mode S is mandated almost everywhere ?

I have seen some of the certified traffic systems and most of these are expensive and heavy so only suitable for the upper end of the single engine market.

The traffic system that seems to meet the lower end of the market is POWER FLARM, the cost of the system is low ( about £2K ) and the system weight is about 0.5Lb. It will detect and give position of Mode S , ADS-B & FLARM targets and proximity to mode C targets. The system is Garmin Compatable so those with Garmin moving map displays can see the traffic. This is the traffic system road I am going down with the display going onto a G500.

This system should only be seen as a back up for the Mk 1 eyeball but with my main collision threat coming from gliders ( that are very hard to see ) and with the FLARM take up within the gliding community being so high the POWER FLARM system represents a considerable safety improvement for not much cash. I know that installation in a wooden Aircraft such as mine is simple but even with the issue external antenna fitting FLARM to metal Aircraft the cost is reasonable .

This can ( at last ) be done under EASA CS-STAN ( as can mode S retrofit ) so the paperwork costs are very low.