PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Dash 8 400 nosegear failure at Belfast airport
Old 16th Nov 2017, 11:22
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semantics

Folks we are getting hung up on semantics here.

What happened does - like it or not meet the OED definition of crash.
However, this is not a word that many here wish to use and there are many alternatives. I accept that abnormal landing, technical issue, gear failure are all possible descriptions.

So I will bow to your desire to use the word crash or collision. As pilots we are trained how to respond to such situations to work the lists and manage the problem. We practice a whole variety of situations in the simulator on a regular basis.

As a pilot what I cannot and will not accept is the normalising of this and the suggestion that because it happens every now and again it is somehow an unremarkable, everyday occurrence, move on nothing to see here.

In all my experience I have never landed an a/c with any of the gear up. Indeed I have been fortunate enough never to have experienced more than a (very) minor tire deflation. I have never scraped a runway with any part of the airframe. I have never ended up being unable to vacate a runway. I doubt that I have been especially lucky.

This accident, incident, nonevent however you want to categorise it was;
a. Newsworthy
b. Undesireable
c. Very expensive
d. A major career event for both crew involved

There are lots of situations which can be fun in the simulator but I would prefer not to do for real with a load of lives back there.