PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 08:05
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider

If you need any further proof, just look at the latest CAA stats. MAN-USA traffic in September was up 8% versus last year with an increase of over 14,000. MAN-LHR traffic was down 11% with 6,000 fewer pax. How can anyone possibly argue that MAN-USA direct services are being cut to divert passengers via Heathrow?!!
Being devil's advocate for the moment, it could be argued that it's those very stats that make BA/One World keen to win back lost pax, particularly frequent flyers/card holders, by taking steps they deem appropriate. As it happens, I'm far from convinced BA's hand is at work here. The argument that it's more non-stop services to other cities by TCX/VS that have impacted adversely on ORD is far stronger in my view, a situation which has probably been accentuated by some AA incompetence.

There is though the question of whether Chicago is a city that could attract p2p traffic, business or leisure. I've only visited the centre a couple of times and that was 20 years ago, but I gather it is regarded as a fine city. The problem for leisure travellers is that the surrounding areas may not have the same appeal for fly-drive holidays and tours. Boston is a great city and has New England; SFO & LAX are very popular in their own right but then there is the superb California Coast to explore. And, well Orlando is Disney and Florida.

As an aside, from that perspective I was sorry we lost Washington. A capital city and with some great scenery and interesting places not too far away. But I digress.