PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Defence Secretary
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 18:24
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander00
Apparently new SofS made some comment about "services should properly reflect current society". Lovely letter in DT (just seen it reprinted in the Week that has just arrived) from Lt Col Ewen Southby-Tailyour, a just famous Royal Marine. He offers a counter view that RM (and by implication the other services) should not reflect nor be regarded as an all inclusive employer. He then lists classes and groups of people the Royal Marines would not employ, whilst employing those they can train to fight, withstand arduous conditions and if necessary kill with their bare hands. e trusts that such training and skills are not representative of modern society. I think he may be right and the SoS wrong. Or just maybe I am a dinosaur.
No, I think you're right Wander00. It probably should, but leadership and command and ordering people to take life and risk their own is not a common characteristic across society. Unfortunately that isn't a viewpoint that tallies with the current views in many (not all) elements of society - revisionist, social media driven, popular authoritarianism with self-centred snowflake tendencies. Frankly I think society would be better if it came up to our level than we descended to its.

Controversial, I know. Donning tin hat and retreating to my 'safe space'!