PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call - your worst one!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2017, 10:39
TCU

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Plodding the circuit doing my night rating solo consolidation at EGTF many years ago.

Crisp evening, cold and dry with endless visibility. I had the circuit to myself, with the only company being a helicopter operating to the south of the runway doing what ever helicopter pilots do practising all that hovering nonsense.

I was feeling quite the pilot as I seemed to have mastered this taking off, flying an landing business, even at night. My little Piper was co-operating, sounding as sweet as a nut and handling crisply in the still night air.

OK this will be my last circuit, on the PAPI's, nice touch down, power on with a little rudder, rotate and head down to scan instruments whilst we negotiate the initial dark zone.

I was hit by something I never saw coming. The controls had a mind of their own and for probably 5-10 seconds I was a passenger. Then the horizon appeared and all was calm again, except my mouth was dry and my heart racing. I rushed my last circuit and was not sure what my radio calls sounded like...I just wanted to get on the ground.

Downwind helicopter blade wash....I was enjoying myself so much, I missed the obvious gotcha.