PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call - your worst one!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 22:51
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Well Mary, I like the question, but I'm not sure of the criteria; I could relate "wow, that was dumb" (but no one was hurt), Or "Uh oh, we bent a little bit of metal", or darned near killed (still trying to get over that one).

Yes, there is a lot to learn from the close calls others can relate...

Okay, a modest effort on my part: I used to share an aerodrome with another fellow. He had an older 182, and I flew my 150. Both were STOL equipped, an we both enjoyed flying them for nice, precise, short landings. The runway at this aerodrome was 1600 feet long, but very narrow, only 20 feet wide in places. I went to fly circuits one day. I noticed that my friend had already flown off somewhere in his 182. Hmm, place to myself ! There was a nice breeze coming up, so I flew my circuits into the wind. I was practicing short, and precise. As I had the aerodrome to myself, I focused on my precision. I was not focusing on traffic, nor was he, when he returned from wherever... He had taken off with no wind, so landed in the same direction, except he did not check the wind direction, nor look for traffic. I was flying my circuits into the wind, and I too, was neglectful looking for traffic. We both touched down about the same time, landing toward one and other. As I saw him touch down in front of me, I realized that a go around would be impossible, so I jumped on the brakes, with the controls held full back. He soon realized that his windshield was filling with Cessna 150, and also locked it up. When we both stopped, we were about 100 feet apart, so lots of room. It was a happy thing that we both did good short landings, particularly as his was downwind. I learned to be more aware of my surroundings, even when I thing I have the place to myself!