PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formula 1
Thread: Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 20:14
SWBKCB

Hamilton's charge was quite remarkable, as much for the way he spent the whole race overtaking in a car that is known to suffer substantially more than others when in traffic as for the detail that he *must* have run the race distance faster than everyone else. Having started from the pit-lane he would have been about 10 seconds behind the leader at the end of the first sector on the first lap, but he finished lass than 5 seconds behind the leader at the end - ergo he must have run the race distance faster than vettel.

It's true that he had a new engine and was given extra use of quali modes during the race, but then so was Vettel so that balances out. The extra power is of no use unless it can be used without burning out the tyres, and I think that was Hamilton's big achievement here.
Lewis Hamilton: Formula 1's three-engine limit for drivers 'sucks' - BBC Sport

"The car is going to be a bus next year, it is going to be so heavy, like a Nascar (stock car)," Hamilton said after the Brazilian Grand Prix, in which he was able to push his engine hard because a new one was fitted to aid his fight back from a pit-lane start. "The braking distances get longer, the brakes are always on fire, on the limit. I know it sounds negative but as a racer we want fast, nimble cars where we can attack always every single lap. Unfortunately that is not what we generally have. I had that today but I was coming from a different place. If you look at the front guys, they were managing and that is what we are normally doing. I don't think that is too exciting for people to watch. If you look at the most exciting races - particularly when it rains - we don't have those limitations. "
Restricting aero seems like an obvious fix - get rid of those fancy front wings, barge boards and other fancy flicks etc (and the pug ugly t-wings and shark fins). No real world benefits for industry and maybe the cars will be able to run closer